PDA

View Full Version : what do you reakon a big old craftsman lathe be worth ?

JDarvall
21st May 2009, 08:14 PM
I wish I had a photo to show, making this a difficult question I know. but hoping it may ring a bell.

In good nick. its got a heavy steel base, belt driven, with a disk sander attachment on the other side of the head, with a copy lathe arrangement of sorts. Built in part of the design. Heavy casting. Old fashioned smooth threading etc. Comes with a huge chuck.

Its been offered to me but neither of us can't work out a price thats fair.

thanks

Jake

Paul39
22nd May 2009, 05:28 AM
Find a similar new lathe of any brand with same swing, distance between centers, stout construction, with a chuck that grabs or expands into the same size hole or spigot.

Figure 1/4 to 1/2 of that lathe.

If the huge chuck is a three jaw metal working chuck, it is of limited use in wood turning, and should be discounted accordingly.

Be sure the spindle is of a fairly common thread - 1 inch X 8 threads per inch is quite common here - so that you can find face plates and chuck inserts at lower cost. Ask at your wood turning supplier what is common as dirt there.

If you put all the info found on the nameplate in ebay you may find what they are selling for there.

Sears sold some decent lathes, and also some real bad ones.

Cast iron and heavy is good, stamped metal and light is bad.

I would rather struggle installing a much too heavy lathe one time than have to chase a too light one all over the room with it ringing and vibrating all the time I am turning.

Hardenfast
22nd May 2009, 09:42 AM
Yes it probably will be a hard one to value, Jake. Maybe it'll be more a matter of what it's worth to you.
I'm obviously no expert on old lathes (Skew's probably your man), but they generally don't seem to attract big money. Too many potential problems, perhaps - and also too many great modern options around these days.
Still, as discussed the older machinery is always super solid and easy to maintain. Unlike other machinery lathes usually only require new bearings from time to time, and even the motor can generally be replaced/re-wound without too many dramas.
The copying attachment sounds interesting if its complete, as is the huge chuck - provided it is compatible with your intended work. Note Paul's cautions.
I'm assuming the bed is OK and tool rests etc are available? Transport and viewing etc will probably be a potential problem for eBay buyers, so I think his sale options are limited.
If it runs smoothly with no vibrations or noise why not offer him $200 - $250. Otherwise tell him he's dreaming.

Wayne

JDarvall
22nd May 2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks Paul. gives me a good idea . ta.

Note Paul's cautions.
I'm assuming the bed is OK and tool rests etc are available? Transport and viewing etc will probably be a potential problem for eBay buyers, so I think his sale options are limited.
If it runs smoothly with no vibrations or noise why not offer him $200 - $250. Otherwise tell him he's dreaming.

Wayne

I'm glad you said $200 - $250, cause thats what I was thinking. I have to be realistic. I don't think I'd use the copy attachment. The hardest thing is, I just don't know entirely if it'll be tops or crap until I've actually played with it for a while, which I can't do before I buy. He's also a friend, and money talk between friends I find a bit awkward.

but the feeling is its a good machine. just from looking at the quality of all the components.

thanks. have to give it somethought.

how you holding up Wayne ?

Gil Jones
22nd May 2009, 11:36 AM
Hello Jake,
Get a clear look at the name / data plate of the old Sears lathe, copy down all of the info on it, and then drill through this site and determine who the actual manufactuor was. From there you may be able to sort out a value. http://www.owwm.com

Manuka Jock
22nd May 2009, 11:48 AM
:worthless:

JDarvall
22nd May 2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks Gil. enjoying that site.

Gil Jones
22nd May 2009, 02:58 PM
Welcome, Jake, and good luck on your quest.

rsser
22nd May 2009, 07:36 PM
What can go wrong with a lathe?

Burned out motor: what's rewinding cost?
Clapped out bearings: std sizes are cheap to replace
Stripped or seized threads: a fiddle but usually not big bucks
Galled MT sockets: can be reamed out
Missing proprietary bits: prob a deal killer, least for me
Bent spindle: priceless!

First test: do the drive dog and tailstock centre kiss nicely. If not, think divorce ;-}

JDarvall
23rd May 2009, 06:02 AM
thanks Ern. I'll have to check that. I'll try and get a photo.

Hardenfast
23rd May 2009, 09:49 AM
how you holding up Wayne ?

G'day Jake. Haven't been dropping in here much of late, so have probably missed heaps of good stuff. Been HD&AU working on a Uni degree in IT - really doing my head in. Going to give it a break for six months. Lately I feel like a TV character I saw (was it Homer Simpson?), where every time he learnt something new it went in his left ear but in the process it pushed something else he knew out the right ear. My brain seems overloaded - not that that's necessarily a huge load.

Embarrassed to say that I've done nothing in the workshop for months - 3-4 unfinished projects sitting around. Been running around quoting work everywhere with little success - first time in my professional life with that problem. Builders and tradesmen seem to be working for 1970 rates at the moment just to earn a buck. Not good. Who voted this government in? What a joke!

Anyway, maybe I need a project like your proposed new lathe? Sounds like a challenge and hopefully the price will be right. As discussed above, provided the basics are right everything else seems relatively easy to sort out. Good point from Ern about the working ends lining up. I have an old Woodfast 3ph school model which I'm going to pull out and sell (need the money), so I may be able to bury myself in that for a while.

How are you going with the rain up there?

Wayne

JDarvall
23rd May 2009, 09:55 AM
How are you going with the rain up there?

good to hear things are going ok.

the rains a pain. Lismore nearly went under yesterday, but the rain stopped thankfully. But, its started up again. Comes an goes really quick when does flood.

You've got me thinking when you mentioned selling that lathe.

NeilS
24th May 2009, 02:43 PM
Hi Jake

The following forum site may help:

http://www.craftsmantooltalk.com/BBS/Woodworking_Tips/76/76/flat-page1.html

After doing your homework by asking some questions on that forum, and checking the functions that Ern has listed, and making sure that it has a common spindle thread size as suggested by Paul39, you will have a better idea of what it's worth. Anything less than 1HP would require a replacement motor if you are going to do anything more than small diameter spindle work, so would have to factor that into price.

If you can wait a few weeks I will be coming through your way and would be happy to have a look at the lathe for you if that would be helpful.

Neil

JDarvall
24th May 2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks Neil,

feel I've wasted everyones time here. Its doesn't look like much chop after all. Had a better look this time after timber was cleared from it. and more light.

Its a craftsmaster (not craftsman) 1984 model. made in tiawon. The parts I looked at looked pretty good eariler, but now I've seen a few flimsy looking parts and not only don't the centres line up....but when I push on the live centre it wobbles off centre 5 mm ! :D...probably could get it working for something, but I think I'll give it a miss.

Sorry about the big pic......but it seemed to be the only way to load it from my daughters camera.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/apricotripper/SDC11372.jpg

Paul39
25th May 2009, 07:44 AM
You haven't wasted our time. By your asking and the advice given you are much more aware of what to look for on the next one.

By not buying this one you have been saved a lot of making things right.

Assuming the motor works, that is a $50 - $75 US project lathe if you have the interest in fiddling with it.

Because of the angle iron bed, it will never be a "good" lathe, but at the right price it would give you plenty of experience, and then you will know what you want for the "good" lathe. At many hundreds or thousands of dollars more.

NeilS
25th May 2009, 09:36 AM
Yep, I'd give that one the miss, Jake. Better to wait until something more robust comes along. And now you have a few pointers of what to look for when that happens.

Neil