PDA

View Full Version : A sharp weekend.

Pages : [1] 2

RETIRED
22nd May 2009, 06:42 PM
Ok folks.

I will be holding a sharpening and get together weekend on June 20th and 21st at the shed in Tooradin.

Usual catering arrangements. BYO. There is space if you wish to stay the night.

It will be held over both days with the same format on both days but you are welcome to come to both days because different things come up. The day will start at 10.00AM but you are welcome from 7.30 onwards.

The tru-grind and Tormek jigs will be used to demonstrate the setups for obtaining the best edge.

Different stones will also be in use so you can best evaluate what you need.

Jigs will also be on sale.

Subjects covered will be how to set up a grinder for maximum efficiency, the reasons why tools are shaped differently for different purposes and how to obtain that and answer as many questions as we can.

We will only be covering turning tools. Bring your chisels along.

jefferson
22nd May 2009, 06:59 PM
OK, I think I'm coming down. Subject to the spouse agreeing to look after the dogs!

But only if we get to see say a dozen chisels shaped with the Elsworth grind (I think it may take that long for me to get the hang of it).

Also, I'd like to see the Tru-grind and the Tormek used in tandem to get the perfect fingernail grind.

The pressure is on , no doubt you won't disappoint.

I'm sure there will be plenty of interest out there, as blunt tools make it hard for anyone. And let's face it, sharpening isn't exactly a skill that the bulk of woodworkers / turners can brag about.

Jeff

jefferson
22nd May 2009, 07:07 PM
I forgot to add, it might be useful to show the troops how to get a radius on the skew chisel using the Tru grind system. Works a treat and is very much a "highly recommended" grind by R. Raffan. Less catches too!

Also, can we cover bevel angles? Perhaps with some demos on some hard stuff showing what hard wood can do to acute angles. Redgum comes to mind particularly with the skew chisel.

And yes, I'll be bringing my new toys down for a re-sharpen!

Jeff

rsser
22nd May 2009, 07:16 PM
Great idea. Thanks .

Will be there on the 20th.

Grumpy John
22nd May 2009, 08:57 PM
do you a definate answer to arrange for "crowd control" or can we just turn up (so to speak)?

Ozkaban
22nd May 2009, 10:36 PM
Wow, sounds fantastic:2tsup:. So when are you heading up to Sydney :please2:

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
22nd May 2009, 11:53 PM
I forgot to add, it might be useful to show the troops how to get a radius on the skew chisel using the Tru grind system. Works a treat and is very much a "highly recommended" grind by R. Raffan. Less catches too!
Jeff

:?

Will prolly turn up on the Sunday.:cool:

bowl-basher
24th May 2009, 06:58 PM
Wow, sounds fantastic:2tsup:. So when are you heading up to Sydney :please2:

Cheers,
Dave

These victorian's are much better orginsed than us.... I be thinking:~:~

Ozkaban
24th May 2009, 07:31 PM
These victorian's are much better orginsed than us.... I be thinking:~:~

Yeah, you're right. Bugger all else to do down there, I guess :;

RETIRED
24th May 2009, 09:56 PM
We just don't muck about, thats all. :wink::whistling2:

RETIRED
24th May 2009, 09:57 PM
As for going to Sydney, you never know.

nalmo
24th May 2009, 10:08 PM
Great show - count me in for the Saturday. What you taught me in Ballarat has completely changed the way I turn (for the better). Looking forward to the 20th.

efgee88
25th May 2009, 12:26 PM
Will be interesting for sure, count me in!

Cheers,

FrankG

Pat
25th May 2009, 01:09 PM
, if you do venture north again, remember to listen to your lovely wife . . . if you don't want to get lost again:q

jefferson
29th May 2009, 06:44 PM
and crew,

I'd also like to add some other "items" to the weekend:

- "feathering" which occurs when using my Tormek
- the fingernail grind, particularly with my Hamlet German spindle gouges
- the importance of "painting" the bevel to get the grind right

If possible, can we compare the various grinds for gouges for both spindles and gouges?

Will try to be there without fail.

Jeff

RETIRED
29th May 2009, 07:12 PM
and crew,

I'd also like to add some other "items" to the weekend:

- "feathering" which occurs when using my Tormek
- the fingernail grind, particularly with my Hamlet German spindle gouges
- the importance of "painting" the bevel to get the grind right

If possible, can we compare the various grinds for gouges for both spindles and gouges?

Will try to be there without fail.

JeffYep. I am working out a rough agenda to try to cover as much as I (and any volunteers) can.

jefferson
29th May 2009, 07:56 PM
I will bring my two grinders down, plus the Tormek, so all can play if needed.

Both of the grinders are set up for the Tru grind, one has a Jim Carroll platform which is great for grinding scrapers.

I know I wasted some steel today sharpening my skew chisels, so I/we need to be alert to the basic rules of sharpening with these jigs. That is, get the angles right before grinding.

Jeff

RETIRED
30th May 2009, 11:46 AM
All of you can bring your chisels along. Grinders as well if they are portable.

Calm
4th June 2009, 01:50 PM

I will definitely be there - might try to organise to stay the night as well and make it a 2-dayer.:2tsup::2tsup:

How about if i bring about 50 bangers and 20 chops - will that help with the tucker? Maybe a bostun bun or 2 as well.

Someone else can volunteer to cook em.

As for the sharpening side of the weekend i can demonstrate how to grind any tool FREEHAND with multiple bevel angles:D:D:q:q:no::no:

Cheers

Jim Carroll
4th June 2009, 01:59 PM

As for the sharpening side of the weekend i can demonstrate how to grind any tool FREEHAND with multiple bevel angles:D:D:q:q:no::no:

Cheers

Always said you were a multi talented person David.

jefferson
4th June 2009, 04:45 PM
Jim, haven't seen you on the board for a while....

You can't be too busy, so I and a few others had better put an order in to keep you honest.

I'm looking for a half inch "detail gouge" that is midway between my HT European gouge and my Hamlet German spindle gouge. (The Hamlet Euro gouges are way too thin I might add and a waste of money).

That is, I want something with a fingernail grind with a 25 degree sharpening angle. Out of the best steel available too, as I will be using it on hard redgum. I've almost given up on using the skew for beads, so I want to be able to get right down to the base of the V cuts with a minimum of swinging the tool handle to maintain bevel contact.

Does that make sense? Who makes such a tool? It's very hard to tell from the on-line catalogues.

Jeff

RETIRED
4th June 2009, 05:25 PM
3/8 P & N raked right back should do the job.

Bring your tools Jeff (the real ones) down with you. I think you have one.

jefferson
4th June 2009, 05:38 PM
, just been down to the shed to check.

I've got (dare I say it) 47 chisels. Some are double-ups, a set of Chinese HSS (first purchase) and way too many scrapers. But the only P & N 3/8 one I have is a bowl gouge, not for spindles. You put that nasty Irish grind on it and it's thus gathering dust.

Or will that do?

How I've accumulated all the tools is beyond me. I mean, retail therapy is one thing....

I've got for example I think 4 parting tools. One, a diamond shape. Two others, 1/8 inch. I use one for my honey dippers, the other has that point ground onto it and I use it when I want a nice cut on end grain. Nothing else. The other one is a Hamlet that is very thin. Never used it so far. Woops, forgot the 1/4 inch "Bedan" that I use for sheer scraping my tops where access with a skew is limited.

Having said all that, I'm feeling better already. Life's little purchases fully justified.

I also checked the grind angle on all my skews. They vary from 25 to 35 degrees....

So I and no doubt a few others will be very interested in your next session . A lot to cover, so I'll be there both days.

Jeff

Grumpy John
4th June 2009, 10:28 PM
I'll be there both days , I got a leave of absence from Bunnies on the Sunday :ohyaaa:

tea lady
6th June 2009, 12:03 AM
I will bring my crummy grinder cos the new white wheel is very wobbly and needs balancing AND facing.:rolleyes:

RETIRED
15th June 2009, 03:17 PM
A nice little package arrived from Jim Carroll this afternoon.

It contained some Tru-grind jigs, 6" and 8" wheels in 60#, 80#and 120#. A Tormek T3 grinder and woodturners jigs for it.

The prices for these are 10% off so it would be a good opportunity to get them.

I have some blanks here ranging from Oregon to "Boralus Concretus" to try out how sharp your tools are and the differences between grinds.

I will have 4-6 lathes set up so that you can have a play with the various grinds.

Bring a chair as well although you might not have enough time to sit down.

jefferson
15th June 2009, 03:36 PM
So why didn't you get Jim to send you some chisels at the discount rate as well? Always on the lookout for new toys....

It sounds like you're pretty well set up for grinders, so I'll leave mine at home and bring chairs instead.

Jeff

RETIRED
15th June 2009, 03:57 PM
He only sent new wheels. Still need yours if possible.

jefferson
15th June 2009, 04:03 PM
No worries , will bring 'em all down. Plus some chisels. I'm interested in looking at the bar gizmo on your Tormek too, as the new version seems to be an improvement on my old one.

Did you want me to bring down the little VL100? It hasn't been used since you used it last. I haven't got around to making a stand for it either.

Jeff

RETIRED
15th June 2009, 06:00 PM
Leave the baby at home. I think we should have enough lathes to satisfy everyone.:D

tea lady
15th June 2009, 06:13 PM
Just confirming I'll be there on Saturday. :cool: Will bring my Grinder to balance and face. :U And my handful of chisels. :rolleyes: And a Choccy ripple cake? Or is that only for turnfests.:p

Jim Carroll
15th June 2009, 06:20 PM
Glad to hear all arrived in good order.

Hope it is a productive weekend for everyone, we wanted to be there but planned it for the wrong weekend as we are in Sydney for the wood show.

Groggy
15th June 2009, 06:29 PM
, I have 3 or 4 8" grey wheels if you want them. All new.

Grumpy John
15th June 2009, 06:31 PM
And a Choccy ripple cake? Or is that only for turnfests.:p

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Calm
15th June 2009, 08:25 PM
Leave the baby at home. I think we should have enough lathes to satisfy everyone.:D

I only turn on a STUBBY these days - do you have one of them there??:D:D

Allan at Wallan
15th June 2009, 08:41 PM

There are plenty of stubbies already in the Tooradin area -
you can buy them new at the local bottle shop then when
used they get discarded by the roadside.:D

You can pick them up for nothing second hand.:U

Allan

jefferson
16th June 2009, 12:04 AM
Allan, that's the second time a post has brought a smile today. Many thanks.

The tall loud lout from Ballarat :U needs to be brought back to earth I think. (And good God, he can eat!)

Looking forward to the v. Calm Challenge on the weekend. I suggest we all get out of the firing line.... Ready, set, GO.

Jeff

tea lady
16th June 2009, 12:19 AM
Allan, that's the second time a post has brought a smile today. Many thanks.

The tall loud lout from Ballarat :U needs to be brought back to earth I think. (And good God, he can eat!)

Looking forward to the v. Calm Challenge on the weekend. I suggest we all get out of the firing line.... Ready, set, GO.

JeffWe need calibrated turning blanks so they are working from a equal footing. Is it gonna be green wood? Cos that's more funnerer of course. :think: Bowl blanks or spindles. Judged on height, distance or acuracy?:D

jefferson
16th June 2009, 12:33 AM
Tea Lady, let's not make it easy for them. Something hard. But then again, that means a lot of dust....

Perhaps the two combatants might tell us of their preferences

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th June 2009, 12:35 AM
The longest curly over the shoulder... :D

RETIRED
16th June 2009, 05:59 PM
Ken Wraight will be here as well showing how he gets his super fine edges.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th June 2009, 06:08 PM
I've been nibbling the bait, now had to go and set the hook good & proper! :~

I'm supposed to be working for a mate next w/end, so haven't arranged for transport...

...but if some kind person could give me a lift in to Tooradin, then if my mate really wants me to work he can come out there to pick me up. :dev:

tea lady
16th June 2009, 07:00 PM
Ken Wraight will be here as well showing how he gets his super fine edges.Oh good! I can appolagise for calling his Princess carriage ugly.:B Looked much better in real life.:C:D

jefferson
16th June 2009, 09:11 PM
Skew, I'll be travelling down to Melb probably around midday on the Friday and can pick you up. Sat nav sure helps. But does it help you?

If not, someone please help. I want another Skew demo on the Oland after it's been sharpended.

Jeff

Groggy
16th June 2009, 09:15 PM
......but if some kind person could give me a lift in to Tooradin, then if my mate really wants me to work he can come out there to pick me up. :dev:Skew, where are you? I could swing by and pick you up on Saturday.

DJ’s Timber
16th June 2009, 09:43 PM
Skew, where are you? I could swing by and pick you up on Saturday.

Croydon/Kilsyth area

Groggy
16th June 2009, 10:09 PM
Croydon/Kilsyth areaHmm, Hoppers to FTG for early coffee with sister, up Dorset, get Skew, down to 's Recluse at Tooradin. We can do that. :2tsup:

Let me know Skew.

jefferson
16th June 2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks for that Groggy.

There are some real characters on the board that I'd like to get to know better and Skew is one of them. Bugger keeps changing the rules as to how I should be turning....

Now, Skew, are you coming with footwear? :)

If not, you are hereby invited to the colder climes of the Alps (well, the north side, but you can see the snow from my place). I guarantee you will want to share my mokkies in the shed. I've got a spare set, size 11, that I don't wear into town too often..... Missus size of course is smaller. We're not boguns, we just like our mokkies!

We got down to -8 the year before last. So I promise to light the fire.

Hope to see many of you down at 's place. I've been to three get-togethers down in the big smoke and it's always a great experience.

I haven't heard much about the turn-off though between Calm and . Who's taking the book?

Jeff

tea lady
16th June 2009, 11:39 PM
I haven't heard much about the turn-off though between Calm and . Who's taking the book?

JeffI dunno. I haven't had much chance to check out the condition of the challenger from the bush, but I don't like his chances. :C Could be long odds. :think:

jefferson
16th June 2009, 11:58 PM
Yes, Tea Lady, I think we need to set some rules for the turn-off.

1. Same lump of timber, or close to it

2. Tools of their own choosing (after appropriate sharpening)

3. Bonus points given for spray angles, length of the spray and the thickness (and thinness) of the shavings, both inside and out, roughing and final

4. Finish off the tool at the end - no scrapers (that's what I do and it's cheating).

Minus points deducted for dust ie scraping.

Lathe speeds determined by participants. Toss the coin for which lathe.

NO TEA BREAKS .

Judges? A collective decision perhaps. Maybe there is a third challenger.

I'll bring three lumps of 5 by 3 redgum all cut from the same plank just in case. Crap wood but it's pretty hard. Plus a "scale" version of what they should be trying to turn.

Just to keep them honest.

Jeff

tea lady
17th June 2009, 12:01 AM
:? :shrug: I thought they were just making curlies. You want them to end up with something at th end? :doh::D

DJ’s Timber
17th June 2009, 12:13 AM
Does this (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=826402&postcount=234) count for getting the curlies out there or making a mess :whistling2:

TTIT
17th June 2009, 12:26 AM
Does this (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=826402&postcount=234) count for getting the curlies out there or making a mess :whistling2:Nah DJ - gotta be like back in primary school where we all (you're excused here TL!) tried to pee the highest up the dunny wall - well we did at Merrigum primary anyway! :B The pic was my attempt recently - the lathe is 1800mm from the wall - check out the curly up on the scissors :U:U:U:U

Calm
17th June 2009, 12:52 AM
Nah DJ - gotta be like back in primary school where we all (you're excused here TL!) tried to pee the highest up the dunny wall - well we did at Merrigum primary anyway! :B The pic was my attempt recently - the lathe is 1800mm from the wall - check out the curly up on the scissors :U:U:U:U

If Vern is coming i surrender NOW - besides

:2tsup::2tsup::D:D:rolleyes:

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th June 2009, 01:31 AM
There are some real characters on the board that I'd like to get to know better and Skew is one of them. Bugger keeps changing the rules as to how I should be turning....

Who, me? I don't make the rules; that's Ma Nature's job.

Now, Skew, are you coming with footwear? :)

If it's too cold, I can stick my feet in some sheep. :p

Calm
17th June 2009, 01:34 AM
Who, me? I don't make the rules; that's Ma Nature's job.

If it's too cold, I can stick my feet in some sheep. :p

Any New Zealand blood in your heritage Andy??:oo::oo::o:D:D

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th June 2009, 01:41 AM
Perish the thought! A maori with tartan tattoos... :oo:

Nah, I like my sheep dead. :D

And Groggy? PM sent.

tea lady
17th June 2009, 10:48 AM
Nah, I like my sheep dead. :D

:yeahright::shutup1:

Cliff Rogers
17th June 2009, 11:07 AM
Can somebody pick me up from the Airport? :?

tea lady
17th June 2009, 11:10 AM
Groggy? You might need to hire a bus.:D

Cliff Rogers
17th June 2009, 11:16 AM

Groggy? You might need to hire a bus.:D
A plane would be better, I'll be waiting at the Mareeba Airport. :p

DJ’s Timber
17th June 2009, 11:20 AM
I can pick you up from the Tulla which is located in Victoria :U

Cliff Rogers
17th June 2009, 11:22 AM
I'll take you up on that... one day.
I can't make it this weekend. :(

KenW
17th June 2009, 07:07 PM
I'll take you up on that... one day.
I can't make it this weekend. :(

Cliff, when did you start using sharp tools?

Calm
17th June 2009, 07:16 PM
Ok i am going from Ballarat to Toooradin on Saturday am - and returning to Ballarat Sunday arvo about 4 pm (leave Tooradin) so any pickups to or from the airport can be managed around that timetable are welcome.

THAT IS MELBOURNE AIRPORT:2tsup::2tsup:

So all you northerners and other jealous people who wished they lived in the lucky state organise your flights.:p:p:D:D:rolleyes:

Cheers

dai sensei
17th June 2009, 07:47 PM
Sorry guys and gals, I won't be there, but I'm sure you will all have a good time :2tsup:.

Cliff Rogers
17th June 2009, 10:50 PM
Cliff, when did you start using sharp tools?
After I saw some smart bugger from Mexico at Prossy one year. :wink:

mick61
17th June 2009, 11:48 PM
G`day I am achance for sunday might bring a mate if that`s ok.
Mick:D

RETIRED
18th June 2009, 01:24 AM
Yep.

tea lady
18th June 2009, 11:15 AM
Will be there Saturday now. (Family party on Sunday.:C )

Allan at Wallan
18th June 2009, 01:47 PM
Nah DJ - gotta be like back in primary school where we all (you're excused here TL!) tried to pee the highest up the dunny wall - well we did at Merrigum primary anyway! :B The pic was my attempt recently - the lathe is 1800mm from the wall - check out the curly up on the scissors :U:U:U:U

I reckon Vern (TTIT) and should be matched up for a
shaving contest.

David (Calm) should take the shavings home to Ballarat
and use them as firewood. :D

My apologies , can't be there but best wishes for a
very successful day.

Allan

TTIT
18th June 2009, 02:03 PM
I reckon Vern (TTIT) and should be matched up for a
shaving contest. ..............Only if I get to pick the wood :;:U 's roughing gouge makes mine look like a teaspoon:o

Groggy
18th June 2009, 08:08 PM
Groggy? You might need to hire a bus.:DNup, rope collar and tow him :D

tea lady
18th June 2009, 11:31 PM
only if i get to pick the wood :;:u 's roughing gouge makes mine look like a teaspoon:o:d

Calm
19th June 2009, 08:42 PM

I will definitely be there - might try to organise to stay the night as well and make it a 2-dayer.:2tsup::2tsup:

How about if i bring about 50 bangers and 20 chops - will that help with the tucker? Maybe a bostun bun or 2 as well.

Someone else can volunteer to cook em.

Cheers

50 bangers and 25 chops in the fridge - hopefully i will remember to bring them.
Will call into Brumbys before i leave Ballarat in the morning and get the boston buns.

See you tomorrow about 10 to 10.30

Cheers

tea lady
20th June 2009, 12:45 AM
Chocy Ripple cake in the frig, Hopefully it will get into the esky in the morning. (Might go and put my keys with it. :D ) I found all my chisels.:cool: I think I be ready. :elefant:

rsser
20th June 2009, 06:17 PM
Choc Ripple cake was excellent, thanks TL. Plenty of it too.

Many thanks to for hosting and demos and to Ken Wraight for a demo of finial turning that had our chins meeting concrete. And thumbs up to Calm for lunch.

A very instructive day all round.

efgee88
20th June 2009, 07:09 PM
Here, Here,

What Ern said!

Good to put a face to the names,
Thanks everyone,

Cheers,

FrankG

Groggy
20th June 2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks once again . I always learn something at these meetings. :) Particularly handy at this meet was getting my skews shaped correctly; thanks for the tutoring !

Thanks to Calm for the food, the snag hit the spot :2tsup: (the butter hit TL's doggie :U )

Ken, lots of tips and tricks picked up from your teachings, thank you. I spent the rest of the evening working on my chisels :rolleyes:

EDIT: Alex had a really impressive home made chisel sharpening unit and a slow speed CT grinder that I thought was great for tool sharpening.

Nearly forgot to mention, Jim had his jigs and things there. I decided the Tru-Grind really was necessary and a great way to go from ten facets to just one.
The cost was, well, daylight -ry :D

Pat
20th June 2009, 10:01 PM
The cost was, well, daylight -ry :D

Grogster, go and give yourself an uppercut! :evillaugh:

:worthless:

rsser
20th June 2009, 10:02 PM
Guess how many grinders were lined up? :D

Sawdust Maker
20th June 2009, 11:33 PM

tea lady
21st June 2009, 12:02 PM
My really wobbly grinder is now all smooth and straight.:cool: Now all I have to do is get my head stock bearing fixed so I can do REALLY fine fillials. :D

I did a bowl using an "old fashioned" grind on the bowl gouge. Decided I like the more modern version cos you can hold it in differant ways so the hands don't get so tired. Hollowed it out with an audiance going "Gee when is it gonna fly out of the chuck " , "Oh! Nearly through the bottom.!", "So is it gonna be 3mm thick all the way?" (Guess who said that!:rolleyes: ). It was nearly done, and sayes "I'll show you how to do the final cut!" then we picked up all the bits from around the shed. (Actually I lied about that. We left them there.:p )

nalmo
21st June 2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks again for a great and instructive day to all concerned.

Got home and checked out wet grinders on the web. Hare Forbes have the Scheppach wet grinders (about $380 for 250mm & $240 for 200mm version). I think I heard Ern say the bars were the same size as Tormek, so was thinking of getting the Tormek kit & Scheppach grinder (save about $800), or maybe the Scheppach Turners kit ($150) and Tormek setting guage (save another $200) which I felt was one of the most essential parts of the kit.

I suppose it comes down to the quality of the sharpening stone. All comments & criticisms appreciated.
I'm currently checking other threads as I'm sure this question has been asked before.

Grumpy John
21st June 2009, 06:45 PM
Just finished two days of intensive sharpening tuition. I want a Tormek, just have to win tatslotto first. Thank you very much for making your place of business available once again so that others may learn even more. I always come away from these events pushing my own boundaries even further. Also a big thank you to Ken Wraight for giving up his time and showing us how to achieve very fine detail work.

Calm
21st June 2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks

A great weekend, thanks to Ken for showing me what "OTHER" turners make, as Clint Eastwood says a mans gotta know his limitations.

Made what some called the uglyist bowl ever - i didnt like it either i just wanted to turn some corners to get tips on doing the inside.

Hope everyone enjoyed the weekend.

Cheers

rsser
21st June 2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, the bars for the Jet, Tormek and Scheppach are the same diameter.

And it used to be the case that the 8" S. was made in Asia while the 10" was made in Germany. The wheel on my 10" grinds fairly coarsely.

I got the S. 'home' kit for the knife jigs. One had to be sent back to H&F cos of poor casting. Otherwise the jigs work OK.

The Jet jigs I have are poorer quality but lower price. The thread for the lock screw on the table was a dud. The fingernail grind jig is chromed and the pivot pin doesn't locate very positively. But they can be made to work.

Sawdust Maker
21st June 2009, 10:01 PM
and nobody had a camera :rolleyes:

Calm
21st June 2009, 10:09 PM
and nobody had a camera :rolleyes:

You know the story - what happens on the weekend away stays on the weeekend away:D:D:p:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st June 2009, 10:19 PM
Thought I'd post a few happy snaps from Saturday's session. I took more, but the battery was running low and it seems the flash wasn't reaching full brightness. :doh: Sadly, I the one showing all of the grinders in one pic didnt survive, but you should get an idea of just how many (oh, so many!) there were from these...

Ern (Rsser) with his Sheppach. Frank (I think? Forgive me if I'm wrong... wouldn't be the first time. :B) playing on the lathe in the background. The bowl on the lathe to the right is the one TL turned, that gave the "finishing touch" too.

Grumpy_John trying to make captive rings on Ken's "coarse" Tormek. :rolleyes: Jefferson is hard at work in the BG, blunteningening chisels so he had something to practice sharpening on. :innocent:

Nalmo with the Tru-grind jig, giving Groggy his opinion in the BG. (That's TL's li'l grinder in blue, at the end of the table behind the bottle. :D)

Nalmo & Jefferson trying to pick Ken's brain.

For a while there at the end of the day, as we all kicked back after tea for a chinwag and relax, I thought I'd be lucky and manage to hang around for Sunday too. Unfortunately, the bloke who wanted me to work for him DID want me urgently enough to pick me up (even if a bit late) from Tooradin. He paid for making me miss out though. :wink:

I enjoyed myself greatly, so many thanks to for being the gracious host as always, Ken for the impromptu demos when he was expecting to only have to offer the occasional bit of advice... and their partners for letting them come out and play. :D

Waldo
21st June 2009, 10:20 PM
Me thinks you lot just scoffed choc ripple cake, burnt some snags and just sat around the place because there's no pics!

Hang on, some bloke just put some up, he must've been reading my mind. :U Which is pretty scary of he can. :o (my wife can, but I'm not married to Skew)

powderpost
21st June 2009, 10:20 PM
I gotta get to one of those meets... Would have learnt to sharpen my chisels properly.. :)
Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st June 2009, 10:28 PM
I gotta get to one of those meets... Would have learnt to sharpen my chisels properly.. :)

:p

If you have - or intend to buy - a Tormek.

Somehow, they stole the day...

rsser
21st June 2009, 10:33 PM
PowderPost said "Would have learnt to sharpen my chisels properly"

Heheh ... well there were differences between and Ken on sharpening technique, another indicator if one were needed that there's more than one way to skin a cat*. Though they concurred on 45 degrees as their general bevel angle.

* mine's a 60 degree included angle, wet ground edge & ceramic stone hone ;-}

Cliff Rogers
21st June 2009, 10:36 PM
Jim
An 'in' joke.... :D

Groggy
21st June 2009, 10:47 PM
Here are a few shots of my P&N scraper. I spoke to and Ken about it and they decided the angle was wrong (mind you, they couldn't agree on the "right" angle :D ). They also suggested cleaning up the top of the scraper to improve the edge. This was a task I had been meaning to do for a while.

Anyway, when I got home I changed the angle then started to work on the back. First thing I noticed was the back had pits and voids but otherwise was reasonably flat. I put it to a lapping plate with 90 grit and began to work it down. You can see the void at the tip of the scraper, that is what I wanted to reduce to almost nothing.

The last shot on the bench shows it finished and a mirror finish at the cutting edge. There are still a few light scratches just behind the edge but they will be ground away or lapped down during future sharpenings. I haven't got to test it yet but I am certain it is going to perform a lot better, thanks guys!

Sawdust Maker
21st June 2009, 11:01 PM
Is that really needed with a scraper?

efgee88
21st June 2009, 11:03 PM
I've just spent the rest of my weekend modifying my home made grinding jig.

One of the points made on the day that I thought made a lot of sense was that the majority of the same tools in use (eg spindle gouges) have the same grind angle, so that the jig setup for a quick resharpen will be quick and simple and the tools can mostly be used in a predictable way.

Although the wet & slow grind was lauded on the day, when I compared the tools prepared on my 3K rpm or thereabouts dry grinder with the ones prepared on Ken's superfine wet stone, I struggled to see the difference. (Sorry Ken!), but then an experienced operator would likely feel the difference.

It is interesting though that different jig systems give different grind profiles, and yet they all seem to perform the function of cutting or scraping timber pretty well.

Thanks again for an educational day!

Cheers,

FrankG

Tiger
21st June 2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks to for his hospitality and guidance. I've always ground freehand but if has moved to jigs for sharpening then I might too. Well worth the trip down to 's for anyone considering it in the future.

rsser
22nd June 2009, 09:57 AM
The argument for wetstone sharpening and honing Frank is that it leaves an edge that lasts longer and cuts cleaner.

Alan Lacer has done a couple of articles that confirm the cleaner cuts and Farrance did a test with a spindle gouge that confirmed the durability of the edge. Microscopic images of both the tool edge and end-grain poplar in one case provided some of the evidence.

But another issue here is efficiency: what's the output of a given input. Clearly with a wetstone system the inputs in terms of time and cost are far greater than with a dry grinder so you'd want the effects to be greater too, but are they disproportionately greater?

For hobby turners a few more licks of the dry grinder, more time spent sanding and more rapid loss of HSS are on one side of the equation and a grand or more of hardware on the other side.

Edit: course with Ken's fine work where you can't sand you need the best finish you can get off the tool. Honing is still an option there though either manually or with a wheel mounted on the lathe.