PDA

View Full Version : Tool shops in HongKong?

smidsy
26th June 2004, 08:40 PM
Anyone know of any tool shops in Hong Kong, I've got relies going up there in August and thinking it might be time for a few new chisels if they're as cheap as everything else is there.
Cheers
Smidsy

vsquizz
27th June 2004, 03:06 AM
Smidsy,

I used to buy a lot of tools in Hong Kong or Singapore. Carbide tipped router bits were ridiculously cheap. Singas is too expensive now and I haven't been to HK since 91 so my advice may be a bit stale. I found two tool shops in Wanchai (Mainland). There is a well known street in the wanch called Egypt Street (night markets, outdoor eating etc) and they were a couple of blocks away from that...thats all I can remember about the location. I could probably find it if I went there. Mitutoyo verniers and micrometers were also cheap. You have to get away from the main tourist areas and ask around. Often in HK a chinese taxi driver will not speak english, or very little if your lucky. The best way to find a power tools shop is to take a picture, like a Makita catalogue or something so that people know what your looking for. I can't remember finding any good tool shops on Hong Kong itself but I remember some very good bars....... but thats another story.

I just realised I made the rather ignorant assumption that your relies don't speak Chinese. Apologies if so:o

Wongo
28th June 2004, 10:44 AM
Smidsy,
Sorry to disappoint you but I don’t think there is such thing as “Tool shop” in Hong Kong (where I am from and where I miss a lot). No one does WW because we don’t have the space and the time. You can find small hardware stores away from the busy shopping areas but it is nothing like our hardware stores here. I am sure that you can find something but I don’t think it is worth the effort. I am speaking as an “EX-local”. I was there early last year, looked for a couple places and gave up.

Have a good time shopping there and You should check out Stanley market. :)

vsquizz
28th June 2004, 11:53 AM
Wongo is right. The shops may more closely resemble very small warehouses with everything stacked up in boxes all over the place. Typically lots of power tools and the like. Nothing really on display so you have to know what to ask for. The owners always seemed happy to deal with us though, cash sales only.