PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of swirl marks

Tiger
22nd May 2009, 11:15 PM
On a plate I'm making, I notice there are concentric swirl marks that I couldn't really see unless I shine a light on the plate. I tried sanding from the low grits commencing at 80 grit to 1000 grit. Despite my efforts I can still see the swirl marks especially when I apply the finish which is Shellawax Glow. The timber is pine, is this a matter of spending more time sanding at the lower grits?

Manuka Jock
22nd May 2009, 11:34 PM
On a plate I'm making, I notice there are concentric swirl marks that I couldn't really see unless I shine a light on the plate. I tried sanding from the low grits commencing at 80 grit to 1000 grit. Despite my efforts I can still see the swirl marks especially when I apply the finish which is Shellawax Glow. The timber is pine, is this a matter of spending more time sanding at the lower grits?

Tiger ,
What method of sanding are you using ?

Do you have a photo

Grumpy John
22nd May 2009, 11:36 PM
There is some good advice on this (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=93051) thread. :2tsup:

tea lady
22nd May 2009, 11:42 PM
If the pine is Radiata I have heard that it doesn't take the finish well if you sand to higher then 400#ish (Don't quote me on exact # cos I can't remember. ) If you sand higher the grain gets pugged with sawdust and won't let the finish in. I don't tend to go past about that on Pine. :shrug:

Also, cos it is so soft if you leave grit behind from the previous Grit size it gets dragged around and makes scratches on your finish. So you could try cleaning in between grits with a tack cloth or air or something.

Another idea might be that you are putting too much shellawax on at once. If it is a bigger piece it is hard to get enough friction pressure to sink the finish into the wood and it gets to hard to soon before it is smoothed over, so just put a thin smear. If you want a thicker layer, do it in stages of thin coats rather than bunging it all on at once. :doh: (Also, If you are using EEE you need to make sure it is al removed before aplying shellawax. )

:think: Is that all? I think that's all I can think off. :cool: Maybe use a softer cloth for applying the wax? :shrug:

rsser
23rd May 2009, 07:56 AM
You might find the page on sanding on my blog useful.

Tiger
23rd May 2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys, method of sanding is hand sanding with quality cloth-backed sandpaper.

Grumpy, good advice on your thread.

Ern, what is the name of your blog with the sanding as I couldn't find it.

rsser
23rd May 2009, 02:43 PM
If you go to the link under my signature then select from the top menu bar 'Sanding turned bowls .... '

Tiger
27th May 2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks, Ern, found it and it's useful.