Hi All

Looking for any suggestions regarding getting
my recovering cat back into shape, After a short illness
he has lost about 1/4 of his bodyweight, much of this
is muscle loss, just wondering if anyone has overcome
this problem before, he's coming home tomorrow and
will be on medication to help with his appetite, i may have
to syringe feed him to ensure he gets enough food so that's
not an issue, just need to buff him back up again.
Have considered walking him, but at 6yrs old putting a harness
on him and trying to lead him around would probably be a disaster.

Any other ideas would be appreciated

regards
col.

bsrlee
23rd May 2009, 01:33 AM
Silly suggestions: close the windows & doors, try to put harness on cat, chase cat all around the room, over & under furniture. Or try washing the cat in the laundry or bathroom - again remember to close the windows & doors. Both of you will get very fit. Don't forget the bandaids.

More seriously, I would hope the Vet will give you some sensible suggestions on what the cat can & should be expected to do. I would think that things like the old catnip filled cloth 'mouse' might get some attention, even better if you tie it to a length of string & go 'cat fishing'. I once made a cat toy for a friends kitten by tying a small brass bell to a long shoelace, then hooked the shoelace to the back of a rocking chair. The cat would bat the bell, which rang, then grab the bell & lace which made the rocker tilt. The tilting rocker then provided all the 'fight' that the cat wanted.

Unless you expect the cat to launch into an all out assault on a shed full of rodents of extraordinary size, don't worry too much, the daily grind of water bowl, litter tray, food bowl will soon see a fair retuen to form, then its just a bit of extra attention.

mic-d
23rd May 2009, 08:39 AM
:whs:
A laserpointer is another one to try and get him playing and exercising, one of our cats loves to chase it. Just a matter of playing the way that turns him on.
good luck.

Cheers
Michael

tea lady
23rd May 2009, 12:00 PM
:whs:
A laserpointer is another one to try and get him playing and exercising, one of our cats loves to chase it. Just a matter of playing the way that turns him on.
good luck.

Cheers
Michael
I'm sure I've seen reflecting torches for $2 in the $2 shops. (funnily enough. ) I had a cat that loved crumpled paper. Got to the point where he'd wait whenever I have a piece of paper in my hands. It would be on as soon as a crumpled it up. Tie it to a string fr more mileage.:cool: The noisier the better I think.:D

Woodwould
23rd May 2009, 03:10 PM
Get a dog. That will beef the cat up... or the dog.

tea lady
23rd May 2009, 04:51 PM
Get a kitten?:cool:

ColW
23rd May 2009, 05:13 PM
Hello and thanks for the suggestions,
The vet said much the same, get him playing with
the things he's always liked, and add some new ones
so you're all on the money!
Never thought i'd say it, but i'm looking forward to
him thumping up and down the hallway at all hours
of the night again!

Cheers and thanks again
col.

Pheonix
23rd May 2009, 06:08 PM
Some good food and lying around in the sun will soon put the weight back on:2tsup: