PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Doug

wheelinround
23rd May 2009, 03:04 PM
Douglas Fir or Oregon

Some scrap bits from my Oregon hord I put aside to play with fully expecting a disaster to happen.

The first result is this 140mm x70mm h sanded to 400 and friction polished, then when taking it off I noticed part of the tenon had broken away :doh::roll: so it became a 3 legged bowl.

Grumpy John
23rd May 2009, 03:57 PM
Good to see you getting stuck into the Oregon :2tsup:. It's not that bad if you take your time and use sharp tools.

dai sensei
23rd May 2009, 08:23 PM
Dam fine result for Oregon :2tsup:

orificiam
23rd May 2009, 09:36 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:Beautiful finish for Oregon Wheelin. a much better finish then mine, no matter how much I sharpened my bowl gauge I just could not stop fiber tear out.
Cheers Tony. :)

Sawdust Maker
23rd May 2009, 09:53 PM
I like the carefully planned three legged aspect :p
well done :2tsup:

wheelinround
23rd May 2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks

GJ still got a couple of pieces left one approx 10"dia x 4"

Orificiam I had plenty chip out during switched to round nosed scrapper honed twice during also gave Huey's new tool a run similar shape but more for the sides. Some sanding from 80 a quick bit 120 then jump to 360 :2tsup:

Thanks Neil with the knots I was sure I'd be showing a blown bowl :roll:

Nick guess who came up with that one.................she'd like to think she did anyway :;

Ed Reiss
23rd May 2009, 11:23 PM
OK guys, softer woods do tend to tear out quite easily, especially on the end grain. There is a remedy though. For the final finishing cuts apply any kind of oil (tung, danish, mineral, or even vegetable...don't worry about it hurting your final finish as it's being taken off anyway) to the end grain portions and even to the long grain also if tearout is there. This tends to "firm up" the fibers for a clean cut. Be liberal with the application.

Make sure that the round-nose scraper your using has a good sharp edge. Using a shear scrapping technique (45 degree angle), take very light cuts until there is no more tearout.

Using this method will give you a nice smooth surface ready for sanding usually starting at 220 grit.

hughie
24th May 2009, 01:41 AM
Good result Ray on a challenging piece, even with oil it was never going to be an easy ride. :2tsup:

Good tip Ed.

wheelinround
24th May 2009, 04:45 PM
Ed thats partly what I did and it does work have done it before

Thanks Hughie I am glad you saw how crap it was

LOML has claimed it as her's

I have no idea why but its changing colour to a coral/pink I'll leave it another day or so and see how far it goes then take another photo

orificiam
24th May 2009, 09:06 PM
Thank Ed I'll give it a try. I've a bit of Oregon left that I was avoiding after the last turn.
Cheers Tony.:):)