PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying my first router

James Woods
27th June 2004, 12:06 AM
Hello

I am looking to buy my first router. I want to know what brand and model to buy. I'm just starting to get into woodwork and want to learn how to build furniture for my home.

I looked at Triton but it looks too heavy for me to use.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

James

Tankstand
27th June 2004, 12:22 AM
Welcome aboard James,
Wow, what an opening question, It all comes down to your intended usage of the router. A lot of us aspire to own the triton one day. :)
There are a lot of options you will have to think about....
Fixed base, Plunge, quarter or half inch collets, variable speed?

in the end, go for the best you can afford and you won't be dissapointed,

I'll step aside and let answers flow.

P.S. I thought you were so funny in Scary Movie 2! :D

GregLee
27th June 2004, 12:41 AM
As a beginners Router the Triton may seem heavy. However, it all depends on how you intend to use it. The Triton Router is predominantely used in a router table and is generally considered the best choice around for this use.

When you come to plunge routing or using the router by hand with templates etc.. The choices are many fold. This will all depend on what job you are attempting, skill level, experience etc.

Things you should consider as a minimum requirement for a first Router.. Soft Start, Variable Speed, Both 1/4" and 1/2" collets.

However as a beginner if you are seriously considering making quality furniture then any of the following routers would be satisfactory as a start.

Makita 3612C, Triton, Hitachi MR12, Bosch GOF1300ACE, DeWalt DW625E.

One thing I should warn you is that routers are addictive. One is never enough.

vsquizz
27th June 2004, 03:12 AM
James, if you haven't already this thread pretty much flogs the topic

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=7346

Bob Willson
27th June 2004, 03:20 AM
Noise levels on all these routers should also be checked. They can be very noisy machines.

derekcohen
27th June 2004, 03:41 AM
Bob

ALL routers are noisy machines. Some are just noisier than others. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

vsquizz
27th June 2004, 10:32 AM
Ay, what was that? Speak up.....

John Saxton
27th June 2004, 11:49 AM
James, as has been stated your choice is going to be solely dependant on your intended applications.
If you're intending to bench mount it on a router table then one of the routers in the upper HP range is a better choice to give you the grunt across the applications in moulding timber.
If your choice is for a hand held medium range router then think in terms of the weight and its ability to carry out the task without having a tiring effect on you over a protracted run.
Then there is the decision whether to go for the 1/2" or the 1'4" inch collet router ,generally speaking not a lot of price difference these days with the range available at the lower end of the market but my choice would be for a 1/2 " one where you may also get the 1'4' collet included in the package.
With router bits the 1/2" shank gives you more stability and little known "flex" whereas the 1'4" will flex naturally if given a heavy demand on it but are great for those small trimming tasks on smaller material.
GMC are a brand of lower market routers that are quite popular with folk on this BB and are cheap in the bargain.Ozito are another brand but these are also at the lower end of the market.
Those brands mentioned in the posts above are well known and in the upper end of the brand market affordable and likely to give you years of pleasure with your woodworking as I and others can testify to.
Good Luck
Cheers :)

nik
27th June 2004, 01:25 PM
I'm just a beginner when It comes to woodwork aswell Mr Woods, and my dad got me started by buying me a AEG power drill for my 18th a couple of years ago. He told me not to spend money on cheap things. Having said that, no, I don't have a festo router (Still wishing) but instead I went out and looked at the AEG, Metabo, Festo, and Bosch. They are all good looking machines, but AEG wasn't powerfull enough, Metabo were a bit hard to find and I'd imagine cost a fair bit more than the AEG, Festo were bloody expensive for a beginner and then there was the Bosch (GOF1300ACE), has all the other features as the other makes and a good price at $380. I am very happy with it still, and It does good hand held work and table mounted work. I reckon it would be worth going out and buying something that will last a bit longer, because you'd only have to buy a good one if you get further into woodworking.

Nik

journeyman Mick
27th June 2004, 10:44 PM
James,
I make sawdust for a living and I've found that it's best to start BIG. I've got multiples of a lot of power tools, and you may find like a lot of board members that if you get the woodworking bug you'll end up with several of some or all of the tools you use. If you start off with a small router you'll find that it can handle small bits and jobs okay but will struggle at its upper limits. A big router, while heavier and initially intimidating is able to tackle both large and small jobs. A small tool pushed to its limits is more likely to burn out or have bearings fail. Don't worry too much about the weight of the larger routers, after all you don't need to fully support them in use and their mass gives them a measure of stability in use. If you get a variable speed one it will generally have soft start. This means it won't kick like a mule on start up and be a bit quieter whilst running both of which make for a less intimidating tool. I started with a Hitachi 2hp router which screams like a banshee and kicks like a mule. I found it intimidating to use at first but then again I was standing on a bit of ply on top of joists a few metres off the ground routing handrail mortices into poles on a pole home. If you are working at a bench or on some saw horses with a two handed grip, a clamped down job and an uncluttered work area and floor you'll have good control and the router won't feel too big or heavy.

Mick

vsquizz
28th June 2004, 12:33 AM
James, I couldn't agree more with Mick's experience above. I've had the Makita 3612 for 20 years and really treasure it. I'd love to have one of the new soft start jobs but hey, it still does the job. Whilst router tables are good (I had a Triton - she took it) the best piece of kit I found was a hardwood fence screwed to the original. Theres heaps of great advice on this BB and in many books. Patrick Spielman's books are good value.

bsrlee
28th June 2004, 01:02 AM
Good advice above so far. I vote for the Triton, I have 3 GMC fixed base routers (discontinued model) a Ryobi (ditto) and an ancient Bosch. All get a run for different jobs.

Look for a router that can take 1/2" bits - you can always buy a 1/4" or even 8mm sleeve if it doesn't come in the box, and I don't know of a brand that dosn't include a 1/4" adapter in a 1/2" router.

For furniture making soft start and variable speed are pretty much indispensable.

Also don't expect the staff at Bunnings to really know anything about their stock - their job is to part you from your money & get you out the door asap - sometimes thay care but it is rare. Go to either an independant or a franchise outlet (like Mitre 10) where their continued existance is dependant on you coming back - its a bit like Macca's and a good restraunt.

Ivan in Oz
10th July 2004, 02:37 PM
G'day,

Might I suggest you will end up with a number of Routers :confused:
If so,
you might start with the cheapest one which you will still keep,
even when you get the expensive one(s).

Some remain fixed [Table mounted],
some remain freehand.

To start with, the one will do all the jobs.

Count

ROB NZ
12th July 2004, 09:41 PM
I've had my Triton router 2 weeks. Apart from a brief demo with a smaller Jap brand , I'd never used a router before,and had read about the Triton's weight and perceived top heaviness. I was concerned that other machines might not have sufficient power for the bigger tasks. I'm pleased to say that I haven't found either of these supposed concerns to be a problem. I've been using it hand held for an oversize mortise and tenon project that my daughter started and couldn't finish. Its been really succesful. The soft start makes it really easy to handle.
Next task is to fit it into the work-table. :)

If you haven't already made up your mind, go Triton.

Munchkin
13th July 2004, 07:11 PM
Most of you fellows are saying "Buy a Triton".

Ok then I will bite the bullet and ask WHY!

Many have said they want one but none have gone on to the why this is the way to go.

For us newbies out here that are trying not to get done by the sharpy sales guy with the sloe intention of making his sales quota and filling us with wonderful aspects of their great machine.

How about explaning to us in plain english what are the differances that make the Triton the machine of choice? And have you used others that are around the place and also very good why you like the Triton better?

Cheers

bitingmidge
13th July 2004, 08:10 PM
Strangely it's taken a couple of weeks for me to hijack this thread! :eek:

And of course due to my completely un-trade background and skinny little arms I have to take a contrary view!

Mick makes sawdust for a living and has found that it's best to start BIG.

Fair enough, but the first time I tried a bloke's router it scared the heck out of me, I reckon start small, take it in small bites then if it all works out go big, and you've got the littley to do stuff anyway!

My first was a Black and Decker fixed base pile of junk, but it wasn't much bigger than a laminate trimmer and I used it often in awkward situations, particularly for arrising or rounding edges, and it was also the duck's nuts with templates. It had so little grunt that in anything but WRC it would bog any cut deeper than 6mm, but it was still the the right tool for my little limp wrists.

Lots of w... errr exercise later I can handle the big boy's stuff more confidently, but I still prefer tools that don't control me when they go feral!!

Hope you are now entirely back where you started.

Cheers,

P :D :D :D

HavinaGo
13th July 2004, 08:20 PM
Most of you fellows are saying "Buy a Triton".

Ok then I will bite the bullet and ask WHY!

Cheers

OK, I'm one of those that like the look of the Triton, but don't have one. Why do I like the look of it when I have something else and have only seen it in the shop, read reviews etc:

a) powerful motor,
b) 1/2 inch collet,
c) multiple ways to adjust height,
1 ) fine screw
2 ) crank/twist up and down
3 ) basic plunge with stop
d) collet raises above base to change bit
e) auto locking of shaft when collet raised
f) safety interlock that prevents the machine being turned on when shaft is locked
g) repeated positive mentions in this group over a long time (do a search and you'll see)
h) big opening in base .. accepts big bits
i) smooth plunge action
j) design for table mounting
k) Ausi company
l) dust port

What put me off:

a) the price
b) the switch to turn it on and off not being under my finger so I have to take my hand off the machine to start it.
c) the big opening in the base (can't please me can you :) ) ... potential instability when routing corners
d) the look of the fence .. it may work fine but I need to get used to it.

Anyway, I chose the cheaper way to start .. a GMC 1200W variable speed, soft start, plunge router. It is a trade off but has given me a start with out spending so much money. It is frustrating in the plunge lock does not always lock, the plastic handle for the lock is "fragile", bit changing is a challenge. The switch is great in its position and operation. I also bought one of the $39 fixed base machines .. with the + and - as already discussed in this group.

I tolerate these weaknesses as I'm not a professional wood work, just someone having a go. Would I spend the money on the Triton if I was starting again. Probably.

Given I have a router or 2, I still look at the triton in the shops regularly but to date have not taken the plunge ;) ;)

That is my reasoning .. and indescision so far.

Template Tom
13th July 2004, 08:53 PM
Hello

I am looking to buy my first router. I want to know what brand and model to buy. I'm just starting to get into woodwork and want to learn how to build furniture for my home.

I looked at Triton but it looks too heavy for me to use.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

James

My views on what to purchase are too long to publish here consult my Home page www.wa1.quik.com.au/tod
it may be of some assistance
Tom

ROB NZ
13th July 2004, 10:39 PM
As I said previously, I'm an absolute newcomer to routers, money doesn't grow on trees, and I don't like buying things that don't fulfill my expectations.

I arrived at my decision after making comparisons on what was available, in the shops here in Hamilton N.Z.. (Bunnings, Mitre 10, Placemakers, Carters and Giles Toolshed - who eventually got my sale after 3 visits!!) also went to N Z National Fieldays at Mystery Creek in mid June, where I was able to view them all again, talk to company reps, and try a few out. I also talked to three tradesment who I know. They had never used a Triton, but told me to make sure I got a machine that was powerful, and not to go for the cheaper models. They were recommending their Hitachi and Makita models that they use in their workshop.
I made a comparison chart for myself lising the features, including price, power, capacity etc. The final thing that sold me was my reading of the two reviews in >>OnlineToolReviews.com -Triton TRC001 3.25HP Router Review<< by Bill Esposito. (I found it through Google, by typing in "router woodwork" , and that was before I found this very fine Forum.)
There is an 18 page review written in 2003, and including a 2 page review written a year later describing experience with a warranty fix and other matters. (Other routers are reviewed there, including GMC - I nearly went that way thinking that I might get one, use it for a year or so to get used to the concept of a router, and then buy a trades class machine. I'm glad now I didn't. I have no regrets.)

I recommend that you read that review, (and I wish Triton could have incorporated that authors pictures in their "manual" which for me is not very well put together.)
I hope that is helpful. Best of luck.
Rob NZ

GregLee
13th July 2004, 10:45 PM
Whilst I have already had a go at responding to this question. Maybe I should be a bit more pragmatic about what I have. "I do not have a Triton Router."

Yes I would like to own one. However, as making dust is not my day job I couldn't justify the $400+ a Triton would cost when I first bought a router.

I have a GMC 1550W Plunge Router which came with 50 Bits. I've found this to be a good router for freehand work etc and the 50 Bits have been very handy.

I also have 2 GMC Fixed base Routers. One lives in my Router table. I have had no problem with this router except it is a little hard to change bits sometimes. The other one is in a Horizontal mortice Jig and this works very well.

I also have a little Ryobi Trimmer which is excellent for all those handheld finishing jobs and putting fancy edges on things. As I have made a number of castles, dolls houses, forts and garages for both my kids and the local toy library I have found the trimmer to be excellent for those little detailed jobs that the bigger routers would be awkward to set up for.

Now that I've rambled on. I still would like a Triton Router. However, since obtaining the GMC fixed base routers I no longer need one for the table. I'll just have to wait until my GMC warranty expires and one of them breaks. Till then I will continue to suffer from Tool eNvy Syndrome.

Recommendation: Buy the Triton. or Most of the other routers including some of the GMCs will do the job. They do for me. You will just need to live within their limits of quality and design.

SWR
19th July 2004, 03:38 PM
James,

If you haven't made up your mind yet, and you've listened to all of the fine arguments put forward here for a really big/kinda small router then let me throw my 2 cents (GST INCLUDED) worth.

My first router was a Hitachi TR-12, a bruisingly big 3HP bad boy that can pretty much handle anything that you can throw at it. No soft start means that arm muscles develop pretty quick to be able to hold it. Goes like a cat with a methylated spirit enema! But it is a little unwieldly and it doesn't have the nice bits that newer routers have. Decided to mount it in a homemade table and fitted an external switch box to get easier access to it. Works well and never lets me down.

My second router is a 1250 watt GMC that works fabulously well. It has a good soft start, reasonable power as long as your not taking huge bites per run and is well balanced. It's a reasonably priced option (roughly $130 from bunnies) and will do most everyday router chores. If you want something for
really big router bits this is not the machine for you.

As may of the thread have commented, if you get the woodworking bug, then this won't be "your router, it will be A router". Buy what your pocket or SWMBO let's you.

You are sure to buy more as requirements change.

Next hurdle, how to convince the good lady wife that I need a laminate trimmer...

Good luck,

Scott in Peakhurst, N.S.W