PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Oiled floorboards?

gemi_babe
27th June 2004, 06:47 PM
Hi all,

My floorboards in the kitchen are jarrah but look black. Is that oiled?

I tried by hand to see what would happen with sanding and the sand paper clogs up.

Is there something I should put on the floor to try to lift the oil/grease/grime from past years first before I hire the floor sander?

Or what would you suggest I do?

Thanks in advance :)

Theva
27th June 2004, 09:40 PM
GB,

Are you sure it is not painted black? :D Just kidding.

The assumption is that you intent to re finish your kitchen floorboards. First find out what finish you got.

Wiping with metho will remove most of the grim / dirt and will give you some idea about the existing finish.

It is not advisable to rush in with a floor sander before knowing the existing finish & status of the boards. Then work out what you are trying to achieve and how to get there.

Good luck.

Regards,

Theva

journeyman Mick
27th June 2004, 11:34 PM
GB,
at a guess I'd say your floor has a lot of grease in the timber rather than oil. :( Oils (like Tung and Linseed) tend to harden to form a varnish-like finish. Cooking oils, grease and grime will go black. Ask an industrial cleaners supply house for recomendations as to detergents suitable for your floor.

Mick

gemi_babe
28th June 2004, 11:17 PM
Thankyou both, I shall try both suggestions.

:) Gemi

georgw
29th August 2004, 06:45 PM
hi gemi - if you are still there and trying to solve this - it sounds like what i had in my hallway and around the skirting boards in my house - it was a kind of black varnish that melted on contact with the floor sander, gunked it up and although the sandpaper worked i went through an awful lot of it. I eventually used a heat gun to melt it and scrape it off and them a sander. I think it has lead in it too so watch it.
cheers

gemi_babe
29th August 2004, 07:31 PM
Thanks Georgw,

Sounds like the same problem. I have decided to go with cork flooring for warmth. I wont be doing it myself, wish I could, but I'm not that experienced.

Thanks again,
Kylie

georgw
29th August 2004, 07:45 PM
Hi gemi - surprised to find someone online - what a coincidence. I reckon you could get rid of the black stuff but it would be a more difficult job than a simple sand. Good luck:)

bitingmidge
29th August 2004, 08:23 PM
The perimeter of the floor is probably Black-Japan. Quite trendy in the 30's(?) and used to colour the bit between the wall and the edge of the floor rug.

It's a bugger to get off, but floor sanders will do it, just need to change the paper about every second.

I'm more inclined to go with Mick's thoughts in the kitchen though - grease!

If you are going to cork tile, you really should cover the lot with an underlay anyway, and that will avoid the issue. If you don't use a sheet underlay, you are likely to see the floor boards "print through" in the cork surface. With a high gloss finish on the cork even minor undulations will be surprisingly visible. Cork is a wonder material though!

Cheers,

P

craigb
29th August 2004, 10:19 PM
The perimeter of the floor is probably Black-Japan. Quite trendy in the 30's(?) and used to colour the bit between the wall and the edge of the floor rug.

Yes sounds like. When we bought our house (1920's Californian Bungalow), the floors had been painted with decking paint :eek: (I kid you not) and this had been applied over the original black Japan. :eek: :eek:

Boy, didn't the floor sander ***** and moan :D He got it all off though, so it can be done.

Good luck

Craig

outback
29th August 2004, 10:27 PM
< Insert big picture of target on Outback's butt here>

If it's grease, hot water and caustic soda will disolve it and bring the timber up great.

Ok yers have the target, now start shootin'