PDA

View Full Version : Courses on Woodcarving

Kevin2003
27th June 2004, 08:27 PM
Hi All,

Just wondered if any one could point me in the right direction.

I would like to find a place/club/person that runs courses on woodcarving for beginners, in Melbourne.

Can anyone also suggest which chisels would be good for a beginner?

My wife has shown an interest in carving and as a gift (and to encourage her further) I would like to book her in on a course and get her an assortment of chisels to start her off

Thanks in advance for any help
Kevin

multinut
29th June 2004, 08:28 PM
Kevin
i dont know of any woodcarving groups in melbourne
i thought someone here may have known :cool:
you could try doing a search ;)
as for chisels
a prefer to use pfeil carving chisels
they may cost a little more - but are worth it
carbatec sell a beginners set for $110
its a good start
you can also get some quite good books on the subject of carving
hope this helps
cheers
multinut
http://www.ubeaut.biz/crowd.gif

Charles Castle
30th June 2004, 06:14 PM
Doncaster carvers (to which I belong) have four carving groups. Each has carvers of varying abilities ranging form beginners to expert. There is one club for first, second and third Friday mornings and one on second Thursday evenings. Contact phone number is 97233827. Geelong Woodworkers has an active carving group. All these have a number of women members of varying ages. John Kelly is in the phone book and has a beginners group at South Morang one morning a month. Holmesglen TAFE has a wood carving course.
I would caution you against buying a set of woodcarving chisels as these tend to contain chisels in sizes you will never need. It would in my opinion be much better for your wife to go one of the above groups, find out what sort of carving she wants to do, then you can buy her some chisels of the right type and size. When buying the chisels, it is essential to buy sharpening equipment as well.
If you need any more information, let me know.
Charles Castle