PDA

View Full Version : how to remove wattyl deck & exterior timber oil

ozzytrees
26th May 2009, 01:30 PM
My client has a deck covered with wattyl deck & exterior timber oil that was not applied correctly and has remained very tacky and their dogs hair etc sticks to it. I was wondering what the best way to remove this would be and since the product is oil based (tung oil I believe) can I then use a product like sikkens on the timber once it has been removed.
Would love someone's help.

texx
26th May 2009, 03:47 PM
will not be easy to get it off because of the nature of oil finishes they are designed to penetrate , i would be trying to get it as clean as possible and then give it another coat of oil with some terabine ( spell ) in it to send it off should make the oil dry a bit better. other option would be to get it sanded and refinished.

conwood
26th May 2009, 04:58 PM
hi,
Not an enviable task you have. What Tex said could be the go. You may try a spot with petrol, as petrol does clean oils and dries quickly.

Sounds like the oil applied may have been off a little, which usually causes trying problems with all sorts of finishes.

cheers
conwood

Dave-Ben
27th May 2009, 10:59 AM
Why don't you give their customer service help line a call - i've used it a couple of times with good help I think teh number is 132101 - but it is on teh side of their cans

Dave-Ben

ColW
27th May 2009, 03:56 PM
How are they going to get it off the dogs? :?

woodcutta
28th May 2009, 09:48 AM
Try Floods Spa and deck "Power Lift". It is used to remove oil finishes before using their finish.

woodcutta

ozzytrees
28th May 2009, 10:32 AM
Try Floods Spa and deck "Power Lift". It is used to remove oil finishes before using their finish.

woodcutta

Thanks Woodcutta, I have decided to use this product and have also been advised to use "deckswood oxalic acid" after the "powerlift" to clean the timber. Have you (or anyone else) heard of or used this product and can you recommend it?