PDA

View Full Version : suitable timber for honey dippers

mkypenturner
26th May 2009, 08:59 PM
hi guys just wanting a little list of suitable timbers suitable for honey dippers
thanks troy

RETIRED
26th May 2009, 09:09 PM
Radiata pine. Myrtle. American Cherry. In fact most timbers that have no strong smell when turning.

Pine is my favourite.

Farnk
26th May 2009, 10:35 PM
Radiata Pine + 4 weeks with the gouges left in the rack = best way to learn Skew chisel skills.

robyn2839
26th May 2009, 11:43 PM
huon pine,silky oak,mahogony,bribie pine,most pines, send me a pre- paid sachel and i will send you some to play with.
bob

thefixer
27th May 2009, 12:48 AM
Just to add further fuel to the fire. What type of finish does one use on a honey dripper? Surley you would need to wash them from time to time and the water would eventually destroy the timber if it was left unfinished or do you just leave them permanently immersed in the honey? As the father of four I know the handle would be sticky with honey in next to no time and require washing. I think I'll just stick( no pun intended) to the butter knife and throw it in the dish washer.:rolleyes:

Cheers
Shorty

Manuka Jock
27th May 2009, 05:23 AM
Water does not destroy timber

thefixer
27th May 2009, 07:34 AM
Water does not destroy timber

But it can cause it to warp, split, rot, lose color and create fungal growths. But not destroy.

RETIRED
27th May 2009, 07:52 AM
Like a wooden chopping board, quick rinse and dry.

Manuka Jock
27th May 2009, 09:47 AM
But it can cause it to warp, split, rot, lose color and create fungal growths. But not destroy.

None of that is caused by water . :rolleyes:

Warping is due to drying .

Splitting is due to heat.

Rot is due to living organisms .

Loss of colour is due to light.

Fungal growths grow from fungi spore .

How can any of that come about by washing a kitchen utensil in fresh clean water , and leaving it to dry ? :)

Ed Reiss
27th May 2009, 12:15 PM
hi guys just wanting a little list of suitable timbers suitable for honey dippers
thanks troy

Maple is ideal for honey dippers:2tsup: ....don't know if it is a native to Oz.

Manuka Jock
27th May 2009, 01:15 PM
Maple is ideal for honey dippers:2tsup:

So that would be a syrup dipper then eh Ed :U

wolften
27th May 2009, 07:12 PM
I think a majority of timber species would suffice, but, what about the splinters in one's tongue that one would receive when one licked the honey dipper, of course when nobody was looking.:p (<----------- note smiley)

Glenn

eisbaer
27th May 2009, 07:20 PM
I would go for pine simply because it's cheap, easy to get and probably won't poison you. Then again, I'd probably just use a spoon... :)

Rum Pig
28th May 2009, 08:25 AM
I would have thought any timber used for things such as chopping boards would be ok.

I personally used pine for mine but that was turning project number 1 and I do not think Ian was game enough to waste any other timber.:no:

What about CL is that toxic:rolleyes:

Farnk
28th May 2009, 11:09 AM
I would go for pine simply because it's cheap, easy to get and probably won't poison you. Then again, I'd probably just use a spoon... :)

I'd have to agree with this point as well.
Pine is a great choice for objects that are actually meant to be used in the kitchen.

Ed Reiss
28th May 2009, 12:05 PM
So that would be a syrup dipper then eh Ed :U

...or it could be used to bat around wee lollies :q:D:D:D

Manuka Jock
28th May 2009, 12:19 PM
...or it could be used to bat around wee lollies :q:D:D:D

:U:U:U:2tsup:

Rattrap
28th May 2009, 05:46 PM
I've seen dippers for sale at the Honey Farm at Chudliegh Tasmania, if u like honey then this place is a must see as they have a huge range of honeys & flavoured honeys for tasting mmmmmmm. They have had dippers made out of huon pine, macrocarpa pine, king billy pine, tas oak. My personal preference for look was the macrocarpa & huon pines.

GoGuppy
28th May 2009, 10:55 PM
Troy

I'd try a few different local Qld timbers and see which one you like best....:)

No law against having more than one honey dipper....:D

Cheers

Sawdust Maker
28th May 2009, 11:16 PM
More to the point ...
are the gaps between the ribs made with a parting off tool or some otherwise

Ed Reiss
29th May 2009, 12:27 AM
Parting tool, Nick.

NeilS
29th May 2009, 01:27 PM
What about CL is that toxic:rolleyes:

Yep, that's why it's commonly used for chopping boards... kills the bacteria... :D

Neil

jefferson
29th May 2009, 08:18 PM
I like turning honey dippers out of anything.

Here is my latest, not so good attempt. Redgum.

I don't like honey that much, but hope some do!

I promised a bowl today but this was the best I could do.

Jeff

Broda
29th May 2009, 10:21 PM
Jet tools have a good video about making a honey dipper on youtube

YouTube - JET Tools - Lathe Projects - Make a Honey Dipper

Im not sure what timber he uses, but some of you guys may be able to figure it out

Ausworkshop
31st May 2009, 11:51 PM
I would like to buy a honey dipper from somewhere as i don't have a lathe and can't make one :(

Who can recommend a place to buy one?
I am in Knoxfield Victoria, I want a hand made one, not some machine made crap. What sort of prices are they?

Mrs Woodpecker
1st June 2009, 09:07 AM
Hang in there Andrew, and warn your local PO. I can see honey dippers arriving from forumites everywhere. If you want hand made, you'll get hand made. You could always set up a roadside " Honey Dipper Stall"
Good luck,
Shirley

Farnk
1st June 2009, 11:41 AM
I agree with Eliza, I don't come in here as much anymore for the same reason, its a shame when a simple post gets so off track, I guess woodworkers are passionate people and it shows through in good and bad ways on here. Still, it puts you off making a comment sometimes, I just leave threads alone if they get too bad.

Anyway back on track, I would like to buy a honey dipper from somewhere as i don't have a lathe and can't make one :(

Who can recommend a place to buy one?
I am in Knoxfield Victoria, I want a hand made one, not some machine made crap. What sort of prices are they?

Mate,
I'm in Nth Croydon, You are welcome to swing by and turn up as many as you want on my MC900. Might even have a few bits of pine floating about! :D.

Re the 'non' debate - Water is now long past the bridge, let's all learn from the experience and move on. This forum is a valuable resource and should not have it's value diminished by petty arguements and flamewars.

f

Tim the Timber Turner
1st June 2009, 12:17 PM
Andrew

If you come to the Melbourne Wood Show in October and visit the Come & Try Woodturning stand, you can make a honey dipper.

You might even win a Vicmarc mini lathe complete with Vermec chuck, a set of P&N tools, color coded abrasives and safety equipment from Jim Carroll.

Someone is going to take home a complete set-up for woodturning.

Book in early on the day.

Cheers

Tim::)

RETIRED
1st June 2009, 01:13 PM
Can I enter?:D

wheelinround
1st June 2009, 01:19 PM

Only if your on your knee's and one hand tied behind your back and use blunt tools :D

ElizaLeahy
1st June 2009, 01:32 PM
Maybe if he used his feet?

Ummm, no, forget I said anything! That would require shoes to come off...

Tim the Timber Turner
1st June 2009, 01:46 PM

Young people , young people, (that would exclude me and you).

Also allowed are people who have never been near a lathe.

The programme is called COME & TRY WOODTURNING and is designed to attract new people to the craft, especially young people.

However for a few bottles of red..........

No! No! I didn't say that.

Cheers

Tim:)

eisbaer
1st June 2009, 03:51 PM
on his knees with one hand tied behind his back would probably still do a good job with blunt tools. Two hands tied however....

Ross
1st June 2009, 04:03 PM
on his knees with one hand tied behind his back would probably still do a good job with blunt tools. Two hands tied however....
.........he would use his teeth.

ElizaLeahy
1st June 2009, 04:36 PM
And dragging this back to honey dippers, once again...

I ordered some beeswax for finishing. I figure that it's been around bees wax anyway!

What I don't have is a small parting tool. I only have the thick hunking thing that came with the set.

I have a skew chisel, however - any reason I can't make triangular slots with that, instead of the square ended slots you get with a parting tool?

RETIRED
1st June 2009, 04:49 PM
Yes. The V cuts don't hold the honey well.:wink:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st June 2009, 05:03 PM
Even a 4" nail driven into a piece of wood (as a handle) then sharpened will do nicely for putting grooves in a honey dipper.

It won't hold an edge for long, but who's really worried about "wasting" a nail's worth of steel? :D

ElizaLeahy
1st June 2009, 05:16 PM
Right, so I just need some 4" nails.

I think I have a CD by the 4" nails. But I guess that won't do.

;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st June 2009, 05:32 PM
I've also recycled kitchen knives, hacksaw blades, my chuck spanner :- and similar other items made from thin steel plate to make parting tools.

I don't think a CD would hold an edge for long enough, though... :D

NeilS
1st June 2009, 09:44 PM
It won't hold an edge for long,

Unless it's a concrete nail.

Neil

Ed Reiss
2nd June 2009, 12:40 PM
Right, so I just need some 4" nails.

I think I have a CD by the 4" nails. But I guess that won't do.

;)

Eliza...it's the NIN (Nine inch Nails):q:D

Ed Reiss
2nd June 2009, 12:50 PM
Jet tools have a good video about making a honey dipper on youtube

YouTube - JET Tools - Lathe Projects - Make a Honey Dipper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVAD87ADWOU)

Im not sure what timber he uses, but some of you guys may be able to figure it out

That's Nick Cook (Marietta, Georgia) turning the MAPLE dipper.:U

ElizaLeahy
2nd June 2009, 12:51 PM

My cd is broken in half...

Sawdust Maker
2nd June 2009, 01:17 PM
My cd is broken in half...
:roflmao2:

Manuka Jock
2nd June 2009, 01:30 PM

The Nine Inch Nails are for commercial size honey dippers :p :D

ElizaLeahy
5th June 2009, 04:10 PM
No, the nail in the wood does NOT work!!! I'm going to have to wait until I get the 1/16 parting tool, or whatever it is.

Farnk
5th June 2009, 04:27 PM
Hi Eliza,

I've had good results from a cut down hacksaw blade. Got a worn out one from an engineer friend as it was on it's way to the bin. Came from a engineering shop.

Cut and ground it down, got two good parting tools out of it for nix!

RETIRED
5th June 2009, 05:30 PM
The grooves need to be at least 3mm.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th June 2009, 08:25 PM
No, the nail in the wood does NOT work!!! I'm going to have to wait until I get the 1/16 parting tool, or whatever it is.

You have me wondering how you ground it, now... :D

Ratbag
6th June 2009, 12:52 AM
I'm a little apprehensive about asking this question, however I'm dying to know...
What is it about honey dippers anyway?
I'm seriously addicted to Leatherwood Honey, and use it as my preferred sweetener in all sorts of ways. But I've always found a knife or appropriately sized spoon more than adequate to the task.
My pet hatred is for the assorted spp. of native ants that share my passion. If a tin is not tightly recapped, or if a jar lid not applied tightly enough, then they help themselves by the thousand, and ruin the stored product in the process.
Doesn't the use of a honey dipper merely offer encouragement and opportunity for ant infestations?
My youngest daughter made me a huon pine dipper last Christmas, which I treasure, but am too wary to use!

thefixer
6th June 2009, 01:34 AM
I'm a little apprehensive about asking this question, however I'm dying to know...
What is it about honey dippers anyway?
I'm seriously addicted to Leatherwood Honey, and use it as my preferred sweetener in all sorts of ways. But I've always found a knife or appropriately sized spoon more than adequate to the task.
My pet hatred is for the assorted spp. of native ants that share my passion. If a tin is not tightly recapped, or if a jar lid not applied tightly enough, then they help themselves by the thousand, and ruin the stored product in the process.
Doesn't the use of a honey dipper merely offer encouragement and opportunity for ant infestations?
My youngest daughter made me a huon pine dipper last Christmas, which I treasure, but am too wary to use!

Hmmmm. My sentiments exactly, But then I got flamed for suggesting that washing a timber utensil in water might have an adverse effect on said timber. I reckon I'll stick to the butter knife:D

Cheers
Shorty