PDA

View Full Version : Latest job

powderpost
27th May 2009, 04:44 PM
Been somewhat quiet for the past three months or so. Went for an eye test and discovered I have a bout of macular degeneration in one eye, fortunately it hasn't gone far. The whole idea of it rocked me back a bit. Best solution I thought was to get back into the shed with the new glasses and cut up some timber, this is the result. The jar is 125mm high and 125mm diameter. Fairly simple job, but I am fairly happy with it. Made from Queensland maple. The top is also maple (slightly different colour) with red cedar and yellow walnut forming the pattern. Certainly helped to get me going to the point where I started a second job, a laminated maple platter now well advanced. Should be finished tomorrow.
Jim

wheelinround
27th May 2009, 04:48 PM
Jim sorry to hear that but it looks like you have taken the bull by the horns and the glasses are helping

Love the vessels :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
27th May 2009, 05:27 PM
Wow! If that's what you can produce with a crook eye, then I've got no excuses! that is really nice...

Cheers,
Dave

Ironwood
27th May 2009, 06:12 PM
Top job Jim, looks like its up to your usual high standards.

I dont know anything about macular degeneration, but I hope it doesnt slow you down too much.

Ad de Crom
27th May 2009, 06:29 PM
Hi Jim, wonderful segmented turning mate, looked for a long time to the details and can only say WOW.
Yeah guys of our age huh, I'm of the same age as you are, and our eyes are not longer the eyes of a 20 year young fellow, but as I can see on the pictures good enough for a stunning piece of work.
What are you going to do with this, selling or giving it a nice place in your living room?
All the best.
Ad :2tsup:

eisbaer
27th May 2009, 07:33 PM
that is truly amazing work. Agree with ozkaban. :) i feel like my eyes are wasted on me now cause that is well beyond my skills, good eyes or not.. :)

powderpost
27th May 2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. You blokes really should have a go, it is not that hard to do.
Ad... it will join the rest of my pieces, thanks.
Jim

dai sensei
27th May 2009, 09:01 PM
Well done Jim, I really love that top pattern :2tsup:

Farnk
27th May 2009, 09:58 PM
That's it, I'm going to give this segmented turning thing a go.
Looks simply awesome mate!:2tsup:

Rum Pig
28th May 2009, 08:46 AM
Showoff

I'm sorry to hear about your eye but hopefully you have caught it in time.
I really do love that piece I need a clean shed before I can even think of doing something like that well done:2tsup:

Texian
28th May 2009, 11:23 AM
That's a beauty Jim! Some pretty intricate work there on the top.

Ed Reiss
28th May 2009, 12:02 PM
Nice work Jim...apparently the "bum" eye hasn't had impact on your designs:2tsup:

munruben
28th May 2009, 11:43 PM
Really nice work Jim, in fact, excellent:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

coffenup
31st May 2009, 07:33 PM
bloody great work mate another prime project:D:rolleyes:
Regards Michael

powderpost
31st May 2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks again for the positive comments. :B
Jim

peterpiper
1st June 2009, 05:09 PM
Fan-bloody-tastic!!! again
pete

ElizaLeahy
1st June 2009, 07:27 PM
Something that perfect is just... wrong!!!!

It's beautiful!