PDA

View Full Version : Green timber

kdm
27th May 2009, 08:14 PM
I bought some small pieces of Solomon Isles ebony at the WWW show in Brisbane. The timber was sold as unseasoned but is a very stable timber with low shrinkage.

I'm wondering if I can get away with making a pen in one go or should I turn it and then wait for it to dry out before finishing? I'm itching to make a pen to see what it comes out like but I don't want to waste the wood so comments would be appreciated!

timberbits
27th May 2009, 08:35 PM
You could use the microwave to dry the blank.

Timberbits.

eisbaer
27th May 2009, 08:38 PM
I'd say turn it, but don't assemble. If it cracks then you know. :) given how cheap it was you can probably afford to lose one little bit of it. If it cracks on the tube turn off and retry later. I myself am gonna try it on my next day off. I bought about 5 pieces of it, one with cracks. They haven't gotten any worse although it's probably too early to tell.

gawdelpus
27th May 2009, 08:38 PM
I bought a small board of that stuff as well, hard as :) I would have no hesitation in making a pen from the bit I have , one non scientific method I use is to drill without heat, then see if the drill will go through next day,if it hasn't moved you should be fine . Good luck with it :) John

FRB Design
27th May 2009, 09:00 PM
It was cheap for a reason!

eisbaer
27th May 2009, 09:14 PM
yeah it hasn't been exploited too much yet :) give it time. When it's rare it'll be expensive i'm sure :) seriously though it's not very wet so the part seasoned aspect probably hasn't affected the price too much. I bought some part seasoned african ebony and it sure wasn't cheap! :)

Rum Pig
28th May 2009, 08:59 AM
I agree with Timberbits and microwave it just a little at a time:2tsup:

kdm
28th May 2009, 09:36 AM
Microwave is a great idea. I've got tubes stuck in some so it is too late for that bit but I'll try it on another piece. I've got loads of branches around the place (I live on acreage) so I'll try the microwave idea on some blanks cut from them too.

Keith

Spanner69
28th May 2009, 03:46 PM
is there a tutorial on microwaving??

or would someone like to tell me the nitty gritty of microwaving blanks?? I know I could just bung it in the box and press go but I am sure there is something a little more to it than that. lol

bdar
28th May 2009, 11:56 PM
I actually took time to talk to the guy on the stand about the ebony and he told me there was around 18% moisture content in the ebony. Hope this is of help.

Darren

watsrags
29th May 2009, 12:54 AM
I bought some small pieces of Solomon Isles ebony at the WWW show in Brisbane. The timber was sold as unseasoned but is a very stable timber with low shrinkage.

I'm wondering if I can get away with making a pen in one go or should I turn it and then wait for it to dry out before finishing? I'm itching to make a pen to see what it comes out like but I don't want to waste the wood so comments would be appreciated!

I think that you better send it to me for the following two reasons
1 / I dont know what it or looks like (tried googling it and and could not find a picture of it)
2/ I live in country South Australia and they don't sell it here or much else for that matter

Sawdust Maker
29th May 2009, 08:52 PM
I'm in the same boat as watsrags
can one of you gents post a couple of piccies of what you received please? pretty please?

gawdelpus
29th May 2009, 09:52 PM
PM me with a mail address and as soon as I cut my small board I will send you a couple for a closer scrutiny hehe. I will have more than I need for myself as I have a few other ebony bits as well :) . cheers ~ John

this is the bit I got from the show 260 x 100 x 20 mm

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/gawdelpus/SolomonIvory.jpg

watsrags
5th June 2009, 01:57 AM
many thanks John for the samples of Soloman Ebony ( plus the other bits as well) Ordered some sierra pens to try them out I am finding that there are so many great timbers out there that I have either neither seen or heard of.

gawdelpus
5th June 2009, 07:50 AM
No problem Trevor! you will find that we have as good a collection of timbers in AU as anywhere in the world, and most of my customers who buy a wooden pen will actually ask for aussie timbers :) .Part of the Joy in pen-turning is the new discoveries we make with each and every new pen and choice of material,enjoy the journey :) John .