PDA

View Full Version : Wire Fence

terry arnold
27th May 2009, 09:32 PM
Gooday
don't know if this is the place to ask this question but here it is.
I need to replace the fence on my front paddock and I need to know what the spacing should be between posts I intend to use a combination of wooden posts with star pickets in between. the ground is very hard in summer and very soft in winter that's why I need to do it now while it is soft enough to dig post holes by hand,
any suggestions welcome.

Cheers Terry

watson
27th May 2009, 09:39 PM
G'day Terry,
What are you keeping in ....or out??

Calm
27th May 2009, 09:48 PM
Cattle fence - 3 wooden posts per chain 3 droppers between (wooden or plastic) barb on top and 6 or 7 plain wires
- 2 wooden posts per chain and 2 or 3 steel posts between barb on top and 6 or 7 plain wires.

Sheep - one wooden post per chain 3 or 4 steel posts between and barb on top 2 or 3 plain wires and ringlock or hinge joint.

Rabbit proof - 1 wooden post per chain barb on top 3 plains and wire netting.(buried in ground)

Or my present favorite (building right now) concrete post 10 metres apart 3 or 4 plastic droppers between (depends on internal or boundary) 7 plain wire with the 2nd top and 3 bottom electric. Should work for most stock

Barb on top is only a personal thing - realy only good for tearing the pants on Duck Shooters as they jump over - has no effect on stock at all:doh::doh:

Cheers

weisyboy
27th May 2009, 09:56 PM
depends on what u are keeping in. and how strong u want it to be.

standard horse fencing round here is normaly.

3m spans are good for a nice strong fence.
posts should be a minimum of 2' (600mm in the ground)
round posts with stays on the corners.
all split posts is best but we do split and 2 stakes.
gavanised stakes as the black ones are nolonger made in aus and dont last.
4 plain wires.

if u are just putting up a fence to mark a boundry then u can do it with all star picket but if horses are to be put in the padock you must attach an electric wire.

stakes are also ok if u are using barb wire.

if u are in a location where the grounds becomes extreamy wet and slopy it is a good idea to concreat the posts in. otherwise siply rammed earth is fine.

i also recomend u use inine rachet strainers as all teh wire you buy now stretches sompthign awfull and will need tightening after a few days.

terry arnold
28th May 2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the info fellas.
its a combination of sheep and cattle but only a couple of each and not at the same time.
I have not heard the term chain since I was at school and that's to long ago to remember so could someone refresh my memory.

Cheers Terry

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th May 2009, 09:36 PM
1 chain = 4 rods = 100 links. :D

...or 1 chain = 22 yards = 66 feet. :wink:

weisyboy
28th May 2009, 09:40 PM
if u are keeping in sheep u will need mesh.

ringlock is good for sheep. i think they call it hinge joint now. :2tsup:

Softbreeze
13th June 2009, 04:13 PM
1 split post to 4 iron posts would suffice, at 3-4m spacings. If going for plain wire fence you need at least 1 barb somewhere, either on top or in middle, to stop tops of steel posts moving. Use High Tensile wire, generally 2.5mm tyeasy is good. Try to use BHP products, they cost a bit more but you can see the quality. If using hingejoint, use either 8.80.30 or 8.90.30. That is 8 wires, either 80 or 90 cm tall, with vertical spacings at 30cm. If lambs are being held in, you will need 8.80.15.

Buzzard
13th June 2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the info fellas.
its a combination of sheep and cattle but only a couple of each and not at the same time.
I have not heard the term chain since I was at school and that's to long ago to remember so could someone refresh my memory.

Cheers Terry

A chain is 22 yards or 66 feet... about 20 metres... the length of a cricket pitch. If there is a cricket ground near you just tear up the pitch, take it to your property and use it as a gauge! :D:D:D If you are wanting to also keep out outlaw bikie gang members, a couple of 12 gauge shotties every thirty metres should do the trick! :U

The Buzzard