PDA

View Full Version : NEW Sheet Optimisation software

FXST01
27th May 2009, 11:51 PM
Sheet Optimisation software by Maxima Software (www.maxcut.co.za)

I found this handy "free" little program whilst sorting through the myriad of similar software sprouting free or unrestricted programs until you install them and find them limited until you cough up some $$ and then find if they suit you.

How often have you come up with a plan to build something and then had to sit down and work out how much material you need and then end up buying too much in any case.

With this program you enter your dimensions and quantities and the program figures it all out for you, even gives you a cutting diagram which you can print out.

Maxcut is free to download (1.5 meg) and use with no restrictions, the only thing you need to do is activate it initially and then activate it at the end of each month to keep on using it. (plus you can check for updates when activating it again).

I have only been using it for about a fortnight, but it is handy to have and use, plus you can suggest improvements to the program on their website and they actually get back to you about it.

Anyhow, thought I would share it about.

cheers

Eddie

munruben
30th May 2009, 11:53 AM
Sounds good. thanks for the link.:2tsup:

HotChips
20th July 2009, 11:56 AM
Sheet Optimisation software by Maxima Software (www.maxcut.co.za)

I found this handy "free" little program ...
cheers

Eddie
:no:
Hi Eddie,
I was interested to check it out, unfortunately it's only a PC-Windows program and no Mac version available. And to even contact them regarding this, one must download another programme. weird...aaargh. So no luck for me.

Will keep looking for us "Mac" operators:-)
Pity, sounded good.

zelk
20th July 2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for that, look forward to using it.
Zelk

doob
20th July 2009, 03:21 PM
thanks for that. it will come in handy.:2tsup:

Lyle
21st July 2009, 10:34 AM
I had a look at the demo. Looks OK, but can't find out if it takes the kerf size into account when doing the layout for cutting?

peterpiper
26th July 2009, 04:25 PM
Lyle, "Tools": "Options": "Machine Settings": "Blade Thickness"
H.T.H.
pete

Lyle
27th July 2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for that. I had only watched the demo and not downloaded the program. :-

peterpiper
27th July 2009, 04:44 PM
Looks a useful prog, downloaded it but not needed to use it yet.
pete

beer is good
28th July 2009, 01:35 PM
Hi Eddie,
I was interested to check it out, unfortunately it's only a PC-Windows program and no Mac version available. And to even contact them regarding this, one must download another programme. weird...aaargh. So no luck for me.

Pity, sounded good.
G'day Hot Chips,This link will take you to a similar program for Windoze and Mac.It is free to try out but the save and print functions don't work. For about $65 you can buy the working version. I have not tried it but it seems good.
http://www.cabinetcut.com/index.html

rbjozzia
27th October 2009, 11:10 PM
Easy to use. To try another one go to: OPTIMIK - cutting optimize software - Download (http://www.optimik.com/optimik_download.htm)

Dengue
28th October 2009, 04:51 PM
I found the Maxcut is a far superior program , easy to use, and allows for various blade thicknesses.

I put in the 15 pieces I need for a large shelving unit, and it produced a cutting diagram exactly the same as I had over 2 only 2400 x 1200 sheets of ply, but the whole lot was done and ready for printing in a couple of minutes. It also allows for edge trim thickness if you wish.

Pays to watch the video first on the maxima web site

I found the Optimik not very user friendly at all, and difficult to follow.

regards,
Jill

Expat
28th October 2009, 07:00 PM
Hi Eddie,
Pity, sounded good.
Mate I feel your pain but I wound up using Illustrator to work out my sheet and board stock cuts. I could use Photoshop I suppose but at least with Illustrator I can make the diagram any size I want and never lose "focus" so to speak.

I just take the stock I have on hand and make objects to match. Then I make a group of objects to match the rough cut parts of the project and start arranging them on top of the stock till I get the best bang for my bucks. Not as easy as having a program do it all for you but it works for me.

rbjozzia
28th October 2009, 10:14 PM
I found the Maxcut is a far superior program , easy to use, and allows for various blade thicknesses.

I put in the 15 pieces I need for a large shelving unit, and it produced a cutting diagram exactly the same as I had over 2 only 2400 x 1200 sheets of ply, but the whole lot was done and ready for printing in a couple of minutes. It also allows for edge trim thickness if you wish.

Pays to watch the video first on the maxima web site

I found the Optimik not very user friendly at all, and difficult to follow.

regards,
Jill

Yes I agree that maxcut is easy and yes optimik does require a modicum of intellectual investment, fun playing around with it tho.

MarkPearl
24th February 2011, 12:37 AM
Hi guys... I found this thread on google so I hope you don't mind me jumping in on the conversation. I wrote MaxCut v1 in my spare time and have been getting feedback from people for the last few years on how to improve the program.

I finally managed to put some time aside to work on a new version and we have finally released MaxCut v2. It is still absolutely free, but I would like to get some feedback on the new version. Particularly I would like to find out if there are areas we can simplify or improve on or any pain points.

If you have any suggestions please either post them on this thread or send feedback off the maxcut website.

BTW we were having issues a few months ago with receiving emailsso since then we have simplified feedback so you should not have any problems sending it through.

Dengue
28th February 2011, 07:49 AM
thanks for doing this Mark, it is a great bit of software. :) Well done!

The only problem I have with the program is having to register it every month, which is just about the same frequency that I need to use the progam - ie every time I want to use it I have to register.

What is the reasoning behind the ongoing registration?

FXST01
28th February 2011, 05:40 PM
Sweet, a new version :2tsup: Will have to look over my suggested improvements I sent in so long ago. :)

ravna
28th February 2011, 06:10 PM
Hi Guys
I downloaded and tried all the programs mentioned but found them all wanting in differing ways...came across this program (http://cutlistplus.com/)..tried the free trial and then ended up buying.
The one outstanding feature that sold me is the ability to change the cut layout from 'crosscut first' to 'rip first' or vice versa. Try it and see.
Well worth the asking price for the flexibility.

Cheers

John M