wheelinround
28th May 2009, 08:24 PM
Other than Pat has anyone turned White Cedar or used it anywhere else

TY Ray

Pat
28th May 2009, 08:38 PM
From Bootle . . .
Cedar. white Melia azedarach L var. australasica
1 A medium sized deciduous hardwood of occasional occurrence in the rainforests of NSW & Qld.

2 Heartwood pale brown, Sapwood creamy and readily distinguishable from the heartwood. Texture very coarse and uneven due to the ring - porous nature of the wood.

5 Easy to work. Because of its very coarse texture it is difficult to give it a high finish.

9 Rarely cut

watson
28th May 2009, 08:43 PM
Pat,
I'm just wondering, as the seeds have been known to be toxic to stock, is there any danger in the wood or its dust??
I hope I'm not spreading a furphy.

Pat
28th May 2009, 08:54 PM
Noel, not noted in Bootle and I do not remember having any respiratory reaction to the dust as I have had with the likes of Mackay Cedar. I'll do a bit more digging.

watson
28th May 2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks Pat,
Its just that the Agnotes I have...admit they are a bit out of date.....note that the seeds are poisonous to grazing animals.
I just wondered if you'd noticed any dust reaction.
Sorry if I'm a pain, and I don't mean to start a "the sky is falling" reaction.

Pat
28th May 2009, 09:11 PM
No worries Noel, thankfully no reaction from my snoz.

However see this page (http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2008/melia-azedarach.html) for the dangers . . . to humans and stock from the hard yellow berries

watson
28th May 2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks Pat,
I know a few previous wives that could do with a good feed of them :U

Sorry to be a "fuss budget," but I thought I would ask.......and thanks for the link.

wheelinround
28th May 2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks Pat & Noel for that info

I have some coming my way :2tsup::2tsup:

Oh Pat that other logs you got fellow called in today and has said there is mor if we want it. Plus other varieties

Pat
28th May 2009, 09:29 PM
No wuckers Noel.

Ray, did you forget that we have a search (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=84467) facility on the BB? :evillaugh:

wheelinround
28th May 2009, 09:38 PM
No wuckers Noel.

Ray, did you forget that we have a search (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=84467) facility on the BB? :evillaugh:

No :no: tried that and :( not much did I find worthy:q

Edited Friday morning By the above statement I didn't find anything that was made of White Cedar I had forgoten about Cliff's bowls which are great.

corbs
28th May 2009, 09:38 PM
I have made a few pens out of it... smells nice and works well. Its also called Murray Pine in some areas.

I_wanna_Shed
29th May 2009, 09:19 AM
I've got an ugly white cedar in the backyard which I need to cut a branch off. I'll see how I go drying it.

IanW
29th May 2009, 09:33 AM
I have made a few pens out of it... smells nice and works well. Its also called Murray Pine in some areas.

???? Could you have a wrong ID there, Corbs? Where I lived for a while in Vic., "Murray Pine" was a local name for a Callitris, which is fair enough, as it is certainly a member of the pine family. And it does have a pleasant resinous smell. I have not noticed Melia to have any scent when dry.

Melia is not a bad wood - just doen't take the high finish its "red" cousin does. It's used a heck of a lot in S.E. Asia, and theer are quite a few bits of furniture made from it kicking around Qld.

And (putting on professional hat) it's the fruits and "tea made from leaves" (stick with Nerada!) that are poisonous. Rarely consumed by stock in toxic amounts, but it has happened. I don't think the wood poses any dangers unless you plan on consuming it by the cord..
Cheers,

corbs
29th May 2009, 03:18 PM
???? Could you have a wrong ID there, Corbs? ...

ummm... yeah, maybe I was thinking of White Cypress:-:doh:, which is a really nice wood:;

BernieP
29th May 2009, 05:53 PM
G'Day Ray

known as chinaberry around here, turns well and no reaction to it by me, also very distinct grain is good for boxes, but as stated doesn't shine very well with ordinary finish. I have very little left and wish I had more.

Cheers
Bernie

conwood
2nd June 2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Ray,
I have not turned white cedar, but recently I received a shipment for a commission for a corner tv cabinet, which I will post soon. I love the stuff, good to work and very featured.
Here are some piccies of my shipment. (gloat)
cheers
conwood

wheelinround
2nd June 2009, 11:12 AM
:2tsup: Thanks conwood

nice boards now just have to wait till I see cousin again

wheelinround
7th July 2009, 11:19 PM
Picked up logs tonight approx 200 dia x 500 some smaller ones also :D

Photo's tomorrow back of the car was lowered a bit.

conwood
8th July 2009, 05:07 PM
:Uyou'll have to show me yours wheelinaround

wheelinround
8th July 2009, 05:19 PM
:Uyou'll have to show me yours wheelinaround

:o Never

:doh: Damn forgot to take the camera with me when I took it all to the club today to await milling