PDA

View Full Version : restoring old desk

suzanne
29th May 2009, 05:44 PM
I have an old writing desk with curved glass doors either end drop down lid and bottam cupboard lid has veneer and has lifted in places what is the best way of fixing it,also what will I oil it with, I have scandinavian oil is that suitable, can anyone tell me how old this desk might be ?
suzanne

AlexS
29th May 2009, 07:21 PM
Can you post a pic please. From your description it may be 1930s, but that's just a guess.

suzanne
30th May 2009, 12:41 AM
Hi Alexs,
Thank you for answering my request.i have downloaded a photo but not sure if you have received it as I have not sent one this way before. I have removed the doors and drop down lid and in the process of sanding and would appreciate any help with what I should use to oil it as it is very weather beaten.
Regards Suzanne

toolbagsPLUS
30th May 2009, 09:21 AM
Hi Alexs,
Thank you for answering my request.i have downloaded a photo but not sure if you have received it as I have not sent one this way before. I have removed the doors and drop down lid and in the process of sanding and would appreciate any help with what I should use to oil it as it is very weather beaten.
Regards Suzanne

Sight unseen before doing any more sanding try washing down some small part with Metho, preserves the integrity of the piece and save a lot of work.
From your description sounds like art deco. But a picture would be great. you could trying emailing on to [email protected] as an attachment.

Finish, I would consider shellac because if it is art deco that would have been the original finish. Then again I could be wrong as my wife constantly reminds me I am (often:doh:).

Good Luck with it.

Cheers

Steve

AlexS
1st June 2009, 09:09 AM
Have a look at the first post under 'Forum info, help etc' for info on how to post pics.

As Steve said, it's probably a shellac finish. Try some metho on a spot where it won't be seen. If the finish goes tacky, it's shellac.
Sanding is not a good idea with old pieces if it can be avoided.

suzanne
1st June 2009, 09:09 PM
thank you Alexs for your info on my writing desk I will have a go with the shellac
suzanne

suzanne
2nd June 2009, 08:50 PM
Hi, Sorry about all these questions ,still on the writing desk,I have brought the shellac flakes.The other problem is the shelves in the curved glassed ends has worped is it possible to flatten them they sit on small brackets and can be removed.

I used metho on a small section of the desk it didn't become sticky,is that saying its not shellac that was originally used ?

regards suzanne