PDA

View Full Version : lekky motor probs

texx
29th May 2009, 06:32 PM
not happy today , now that i am finally getting back into turning and was cruising along happily today working on a bowl my lathe stopped .
the motor did feel fairly warm but not what i would call hot ,pressed the reset and away we went for about 20 seconds and stopped again .
so i left it for an hour and tried again motor is still warm went for 20 seconds stopped again so i have reset again and will leave it until tomorrow see what happens.
dont know if it is thermal overload that is cutting it out or some thing else .
bearings seem smooth enough just turning them by hand with the belts off.
the motor is a CMG cap start 1hp dust sealed type motor .
what else can cause them to keep cutting out , starts fine no buzzing .

Ed Reiss
29th May 2009, 10:53 PM
Sounds like the overload heater(s) in the OL circuit are doing the job that they are intended to do - which is to activate the reset button, which is really a mini circuit breaker.

Why it's doing it so often could be a couple of things: weak reset button, or possibly the OL trip calibration setting has changed.

Best to take the motor to a place that does service on them.

oldiephred
30th May 2009, 08:54 AM
Your motor may have been "working" too hard for some resaon to cause it to overheat or it might have a fault in the coils. The temp. sensors are usually inbedded within the coil. Being copper, the coil will take quite some time to fully cool. When it will run, do so for some time unloaded and if it fails again then you have motor problems. There should also be some type of cooling fan either under a cover or internally so check that out.

Best of luck.

texx
30th May 2009, 09:16 AM
i did have it running for quite a while , i turned a very dry hard old chunk of stuff that i bought years ago ( i think maybe beefwood , looks like beef wood but seems a lot heavier got it from a guy in gympie 15 years ago ) 16 inch diameter .
i was almost fininshed sanding when it decided to play up . the timber is a shocker to work with what ever it is , and i was sanding 2 ways , one grit forward next grit reverse sands better that way but may be hard on the motor ?

texx
30th May 2009, 09:24 AM
just went up to the workshop and tried it again the motor has had all night rest and is cold started her up only doing some 0000 steel wool work went for 20 seconds and died again so it has nothing to do with thermal overload or any kind of heat problem .
it is sounding a bit more grouwley ( is that a word ) than normal .
so i cant turn any thing untill i take the motor off and take it to toowoomba next week .
i hope they can fix it same day or it will be another week down time .

texx
6th June 2009, 10:19 PM
getting just a tad p(&^^%sed off at my lathe . got the local sparky to test it turned out to be the run cap /
so on wednesday whilst in the big smoke i picked up another the same size .
soon as i got home fitted it turned her on and got a lovely big blue flash out of the end of the motor and that was all now dead as a door nail.
so it has to wait until next wednesday and i will take the motor to the big smoke and get it checked out at the lekky motor mob . all ready rang and got a price on a new one just in case , about $320.00 ouch .
until then no turning .just when i was getting back into it.
hope i dont have to leave the motor there for another week to get fixed.
the joys of living in the bush