PDA

View Full Version : NEW Carba-tec CTJ-196 Jointer Review

SP_Flip
29th May 2009, 06:54 PM
I recently purchased a Carba-tec CTJ-196 jointer. I thought I'd give it a quick review...

This is the short table 6" Deluxe unit. I wandered around checking out jointer after jointer. Too expensive, awkward fences. I eventually settled on this unit. And I'm really pleased.

The tables were flat to within a thou. and in the 0 position they were coplanar to within a couple of thou. For what I do, that's more than good enough (and it's very good - period).

I particularly like the fence mechanism on this jointer. It's simple to use, and easy to slide & lock (I usually move the fence progressive back when I have a lot of edges to joint in a probably worthless effort to even the knife wear). Setting the stops was fiddly (the usual screw & nut-as-a-lock mechanism you get on low cost machinery).

Chip extraction absolutely needs a dust collector to work properly, or the chips will just block up in the chute. With a modest collector, though (mine's a 2hp) it works fine.

The infeed table height adjuster is simpler to use, but quite 'hard' to depress the unlocking lever. I need to find a little bit of time to look at it and adjust that out if possible.

The rolling cabinet works well.

All in all the issues above are minor at most. I really like this jointer. I've been using it heavily over the past two weeks, and it's done a sterling job. Of course, if you have the room a longer table is always better, but for those like myself whose workshops are "space challenged", it's a brilliant compromise. I haven't noticed any disadvantage to the short table at all for normal furniture work .. it's probably going to be more noticeable if you're working with 3m lengths of timber!

Phil

munruben
30th May 2009, 11:25 AM
I recently purchased a Carba-tec CTJ896 jointer. PhilShouldn't that be "Carba-tec CTJ-196" ?

Thanks for the review Phil. Just one question, what made you choose the CTJ-196 in preference to the CTJ-190 which has almost identical specs except for the extra 10mm length of the bed and of course, the cabinet enclosed motor of the CTJ-196? The CTJ-190 is $160 cheaper and I guess you decided the CTJ-196 was worth the extra dollars but what was your main reason for choosing it. On the surface, it would appear you can buy "almost" the same jointer for $160 less so that may be of interest to others who might be considering buying one of the CT jointers. I would imagine your review comments would almost certainly be appropriate to the CTJ-190 as well as the CTJ-196

Thanks again Phil, good review. I am sure there are many of us who are wanting a good cheapish jointer. :2tsup:

SP_Flip
30th May 2009, 12:36 PM
Shouldn't that be "Carba-tec CTJ-196" ?

Yep - thanks! I got in right in the subject and wrong in the body! Fixed it now...

Thanks for the review Phil. Just one question, what made you choose the CTJ-196 in preference to the CTJ-190 which has almost identical specs except for the extra 10mm length of the bed and of course, the cabinet enclosed motor of the CTJ-196? The CTJ-190 is $160 cheaper and I guess you decided the CTJ-196 was worth the extra dollars but what was your main reason for choosing it. On the surface, it would appear you can buy "almost" the same jointer for $160 less so that may be of interest to others who might be considering buying one of the CT jointers. I would imagine your review comments would almost certainly be appropriate to the CTJ-190 as well as the CTJ-196

I didn't like the infeed table mechanism much on that jointer when I played with it in the showroom .. it seemed stiff and difficult to get an exact setting. But mostly it was the fence mechanism. A lot of the low end jointers seem to have fence mechanisms that require a contortionist to balance two moving heavy pieces of cast iron while using their third hand to lock the thing in place! :C I found that with the budget Carba-tec model and all those from Hare & Forbes. It's probably a personal quirk, but clunky mechanisms really bug me.

I also really liked the roller cabinet. A good roller base adds anything from $60 on up to a machine, so for a tight shop that reduces the money savings. Everything in my shop is on wheels .. I need to shift everything to the walls to have just enough space to drop a sheet of ply on the floor to break it up (using my pro-grip guides.. I really should post a review on those. I love those things!

Christos
30th May 2009, 02:06 PM
I got one of those as well. This was the first Jointer that I have purchased let alone used. I have had it for about a year now. Working really nice.

munruben
30th May 2009, 07:39 PM
I also really liked the roller cabinet. A good roller base adds anything from $60 on up to a machineLooks like I will have to save up a bit more cash. :) Thanks for the info, appreciated.:2tsup:

mikm
17th June 2009, 02:11 PM
Sounds pretty much the same as the CTJ-190 I purchased late last year. Not perfect, but has so far done all I have asked of it. Only bummer was the round plastic knob on the infeed height preset that stripped its thread, so I'll probably throw a nyloc on it for grip.

Couple of extra points:
I use scrap bits of 25mm chipboard and four locking castors at about $6 each from the local $2 shop to make mobile bases for my machines. Much quicker than dragging the welder out.

Also, the jointer puts a very nice edge (including bevels) on acrylic sheet in preparation for glue.

Apologies for the minor hijack...