PDA

View Full Version : 15" planer thciknesser - Triton or other please suggest?

skygazer
30th May 2009, 02:28 PM
Hi,

I was going to purcahse the Triton 15" Planer thicknesser but now cannot seem to find it anywhere and am concerned a bout long term parts etc for it with the uncertaintly around tritons future. Can anyone suggest something else about the same price?

thanks

greggyboy
4th June 2009, 07:17 PM
Hi, i've just sold my Triton 15 inch thicknesser, as it was very noisy, but it did a wonderfull job. I replaced it with a Jet(2nd hand) which is much quiter, but doesn't IMHO give as good a cut, although it's preety good.My understanding, is that Triton will be taken over by someone, and parts will soon be available. I needed blades for mine, and had a set made for a reasonable price,and think they were better than the originals.If you can get hold of a TPT15, at a reasonable price, and noise is not an issue, i think you'd find it a very good machine, and if you compare it to most of the cheap 13inch machines, it's great value. Cheers Greg

greggyboy
4th June 2009, 07:24 PM
I forgot to mention, that theres a guy selling these on ebay at the moment, and thy are going for between 6 and $700, and i think he does postage at a reasonable cost. Hope this helps. The guy i sold my machine to is a member of this forum, his member name is fubar, and i think he'd be happy to tell you how good these machines are. Cheers

fubar
4th June 2009, 09:30 PM
very happy with purchase .noise isnt an issue as daytime use only. set it up today its verry nioce .ran through some 15 inch wide jarrah to test it out works a treat on the slow feed speed .the fast had some tearout and snipe. will need to sort out the infeed and outfeed tables get angles just right which should reduce snipe unbeleivably good dust and chip extraction built in to this unit and if triton doesnt come back you can source spares from usa grizzly as they do same machine called 15 inch planer model G0477 i know its only early days for me but very good first impreesion beats the 12.5 and 13 inch portables ive used in past
thanks greg

greggyboy
4th June 2009, 10:01 PM
Good to know you are happy with machine, and it sounds like you know how to set it up correctly regarding snipe, as i had no idea. Cheers and good luck Greg. PS if i find additional moulding knives, i'll let you know.