PDA

View Full Version : New Mini Turning Chisels

dai sensei
30th May 2009, 07:20 PM
Playing with tiny finials has been pushing the limits of my detail gouge and skew, and the ones made from concrete nails were a pain to keep sharp. So at the WWW show last weekend in Brisbane I picked up some mini HSS steel chisel blanks for $20.

I made the handles from my dwindling Rose Sheoak supply and used some brass tube for the ferrules. Now I have 3/16 and 5/16 detail gouges with fingernail grinds and a 3/16 skew :2tsup:.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106654&stc=1&d=1243671151

Mrs Woodpecker
30th May 2009, 07:45 PM
Very nice indeed. Great to meet a few more people this year at the show. I was a tad disappointed with the displays though. Am I wrong or were there quite a few blank spaces? I was on GP's site a couple of days ago, and he said he was unable to go, but will be at the "New Bris Wood Show" in Nov. Does anyone know anything about this?
Cheers,
Shirley

Pat
30th May 2009, 07:58 PM
Neil, did you get them from McJing? The Rose Sheoak is spectacular! How do they handle?

Sawdust Maker
30th May 2009, 09:45 PM
Very nice lookin tools
those handles are lovely :2tsup:

dai sensei
30th May 2009, 09:56 PM
Neil, did you get them from McJing?

Yep

Neil, did you get them from McJing? The Rose Sheoak is spectacular! How do they handle?

I haven't used them yet, but here is how they fit in the hand

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106665&stc=1&d=1243680862

Ed Reiss
30th May 2009, 10:28 PM
...way too pretty to use !!!!

Nice work :2tsup:

pitbull
31st May 2009, 06:13 AM
Great looking handles Neil, the rose sheoak is beautiful. :2tsup:

STAR
31st May 2009, 09:33 AM
They look good Neil. I also have purchased some Mini Turning Tools, unbeknown to you.

I thought I might be able to get one up on you, but that apparently is impossible.

Mine arrive today via my daughter who has been in L.A. I purchased the U.S.made Pinnacle HSS five Mini Turning Tools Set from Woodcraft. They had a 50% sale so I included them in my order.

One thing I did notice about the prices is that anything made in China is apparently a lot cheaper here than what it is in America. Items made in Europe, depend on the item, low value articles about the same here, but higher the price, the greater the advantage of purchasing in America.

It may be because they have a lower mark up, and after overheads are worked into a price, the sell price is reduced dramatically. Here in Australia the bean counters seem to just add a fixed percentage across the board which may explain why high end items or items bought in sets not singularly are a lot dearer here regardless if they are made in China, US, Europe or elsewhere.

Peter

ElizaLeahy
1st June 2009, 04:31 PM
$20!!! Now I'm even more annoyed that I couldn't go! I've been wanting miniature tools since I first bought my mini lathe!

~jealous~

Those handles are pretty.

Pops
1st June 2009, 08:19 PM
Hi Neil,

What they said. :) The rose sheoak is beautiful indeed and a great shape.

What finish did you do on the handles by the way?

Cheers
Pops

Rum Pig
2nd June 2009, 08:28 AM
Nice tools:2tsup:

And yep there on my shopping list also:U

Cliff Rogers
2nd June 2009, 09:40 AM
:2tsup:

marter1229
2nd June 2009, 12:10 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
I will send you my address so you can send them to me!

Terry