PDA

View Full Version : A visitor up to the NE of Victoria

jefferson
31st May 2009, 08:49 PM
I had Calm up twice over the last few days. A very welcome visit.

We got a little bit done. A new no.3 grind on the Kryo (I still don't like it), a nice shallow Blackwood bowl with a little dip in the centre, plus the redgum platter below.

For the life of me, I can't get rid of the swirl marks so I won't remove the foot until I figure it out. (I'm re-reading the bible again, A Polishers Handbook). EEE then Shellawax. Sanded to 400 grit.) I might just have to start again, but the wood is moving.

I really need to re-think I my lathe work area. Sure, some doors on the cupboards will help, but the chips are flying all over the place. (I assume that means I'm turning better?).

Advice most appreciated. The redgum is tiger fiddleback and I don't want to ruin it before I turn the foot off.

And , I did the bead all by myself this time. Practice, practice....

Jeff

powderpost
31st May 2009, 09:01 PM
Progressive sanding should remove marks, provided you progress from one grade to the next after the marks from the previous paper have been removed. I am sure you have been told that before. Try washing the surface with a really wet rag then go through the fine papers again. The water will raise the grain, that may help.
Love that tiger grain.

Jim

jefferson
31st May 2009, 09:02 PM
I forgot to show the blackwood piece - and thank David AKA Calm for the tuition, company and of course the blackwood!

Here it is:

Jeff

mick61
31st May 2009, 09:17 PM
G`day you might not be completly removing the excess shellawax ie putting to much on. Try buffing again or put EEE on again to cut back the shellawax and try again.Goodluck.Mick:D

Sawdust Maker
31st May 2009, 09:34 PM
I like the look of ya shed :2tsup:
I can see one problem - you're gunna run out of stock storage space :doh:

oh and bytheway, nice lookin platters

mkypenturner
31st May 2009, 09:38 PM
very nice jeff:2tsup: an easy way of doors for the cupboards is just to use stretchy curtain wire and make some curtains works for me
troy

jefferson
31st May 2009, 09:46 PM
G`day you might not be completly removing the excess shellawax ie putting to much on. Try buffing again or put EEE on again to cut back the shellawax and try again.Goodluck.Mick:D

Mick, I'll do as you suggest tomorrow. I'm sure I sanded well enough, forward and reverse on the lathe. It has been said before that I put too much wax on so that might be the problem.

Nick, dunno what to say. That portion of the shed is just one part of it. I've got 25m by 9m and it's brimming full of cupboards, timber and machinery. NOT BRAGGING. I just wish I'd thought the whole storage / work areas etc thru before I got out of hand and completely disorganised.

The lathe section of the shed - which also includes my workbench etc and all of my hand / power tools - is now being covered in fine dust. I had no idea when I moved the lathe into the heated section of the shed.

I have one of those dust hoods, plus the Jet filter in the roof, but the dust still goes everywhere.... Calm has suggested I put curtains up. Maybe a good idea.

Jeff

RETIRED
31st May 2009, 09:50 PM
Well done Grasshopper. :clap: The dust :roflmao2::D

jefferson
31st May 2009, 10:28 PM
Well done Grasshopper. :clap: The dust :roflmao2::D
Grasshopper I am , but just watch your back you cheeky sod. :U There are quite a few Forumite apprentices under your and other watchful eyes that are learning to turn. :2tsup:

And one day, maybe one day, one or all of us may just catch up to you.... Well, maybe not with the skew but you've had a long head start. Just make sure you hand that knowledge on to me and others so we can do the same for others. That's a nice thought isn't it. Passing something valuable on.

I've got a long way to go. Skew is yet to give me lessons with the Oland tools, the back-hollowing technique for lidded boxes is still beyond me. I'll get there.

Just don't ask me to turn a platter to the same proportions tomorrow. I had one major catch with the Kryo (using apparently the Cliff approved grind and method, drawing back with a kind of peel scrape), so for now, I'll stick with the old methods.

I hope to see some of you down at Tooradin next month for sharpening lessons.

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
31st May 2009, 10:56 PM
Now I can see why you complained about putting shavings everywhere. Heck I do that at my joint without even trying and they still get in the drawers as well. You'll never stop it :doh:

jefferson
31st May 2009, 11:28 PM
DJ and Co,

When and his good spouse were up over the New Year, We (as in and I) came up with a plan. Enclose the turning section of the shed. Plate glass windows, so I could see out etc.... Control the dust etc.

The ladies put that idea into the No Zone. And they were quite definite on it. (It may be my shed, sometimes anyway). And I want AC for the summer too like in Ern's shed.

So I need to come up with a compromise that works.

I think if I get the cyclone up and running - with ducting filtering the air back into the shed - it might be OK.

I probably need to look at a few more sheds / turning stations. The fine dusting is not pleasant in the nostrils.

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st May 2009, 11:54 PM
It sounds like you need the poor man's walls... shower curtains!

Seriously! Hang a rail from the ceiling behind the lathe and another behind where you stand, then you can spray shavings as you please and move the curtains to deflect the brunt of it onto the floor.

And ya can move 'em outta the way (or pull 'em down, if you're feeling energetic) when you've done turning for the day...

TTIT
1st June 2009, 12:39 AM
............For the life of me, I can't get rid of the swirl marks so I won't remove the foot until I figure it out. (I'm re-reading the bible again, A Polishers Handbook). EEE then Shellawax. Sanded to 400 grit.) I might just have to start again, but the wood is moving.
..............When you work out how to stop the swirl marks in Shellawax on something that big you can let me in on the secret :;:U I don't even attempt Shellawax past about 5" diameter 'cos I just got too frustrated trying to get it to work. These days I take the long way round and use oil or wipe-on poly then buff it to finish off. Takes a lot longer but it's easier on the stress levels :B

DJ’s Timber
1st June 2009, 12:49 AM
For the life of me, I can't get rid of the swirl marks so I won't remove the foot until I figure it out. (I'm re-reading the bible again, A Polishers Handbook). EEE then Shellawax. Sanded to 400 grit.) I might just have to start again, but the wood is moving.

When you work out how to stop the swirl marks in Shellawax on something that big you can let me in on the secret :;:U I don't even attempt Shellawax past about 5" diameter 'cos I just got too frustrated trying to get it to work. These days I take the long way round and use oil or wipe-on ploy then buff it to finish off. Takes a lot longer but it's easier on the stress levels :B

Are you guys using Shellawax or Shellawax Cream on these larger objects or platters?

Reason I ask is that Shellawax is only suitable for smaller stuff or spindle work whilst the cream is for the bigger stuff.

TTIT
1st June 2009, 09:43 AM
Are you guys using Shellawax or Shellawax Cream on these larger objects or platters?

Reason I ask is that Shellawax is only suitable for smaller stuff or spindle work whilst the cream is for the bigger stuff.Tried the cream and didn't do much better DJ :C Dunno where I'm going wrong. If I get down there this xmas we might have to have a 'Finishingfest' eh!:;

Mrs Woodpecker
1st June 2009, 10:36 AM
I like the look of ya shed :2tsup:
I can see one problem - you're gunna run out of stock storage space :doh:

oh and bytheway, nice lookin platters

Ditto. I called hubby in to look at the shed layout so he could get some ideas for the new shed if ever we sell this b---y house.
Aren't you lucky to have someone like Calm close enough to be able to drop in.
Great work.
Shirley

Ed Reiss
1st June 2009, 12:15 PM
Jeff, a workshop full of shavings and little bits everywhere is the sign of a good turner...relish it !!!:2tsup:

Very nice work on the platters. :2tsup::2tsup:

jefferson
1st June 2009, 01:49 PM
Yep, DJ, I'm using the cream. Stuff in the glass container.

In the cold hard light of day I've also noticed a sanding lump right in the middle of the platter. Gee, the wax really shows any flaws doesn't it?

Jeff

dai sensei
1st June 2009, 08:28 PM
It sounds like you need the poor man's walls... shower curtains!...

Just what I have been considering lately. I don't mind sawdust on the floow, but I'm sick to death of digging it out of my nail/screw boxes :~

Reason I ask is that Shellawax is only suitable for smaller stuff or spindle work whilst the cream is for the bigger stuff.

Yeh, the cream is the best for the bigger stuff, but you can't use too much. When I still have problems I use EEE to get the wrinkles off, then buff with shithot wax or hut using the swansdown mop

In the cold hard light of day I've also noticed a sanding lump right in the middle of the platter...

Ah Grasshopper, your master hasn't told you the secret to that yet :q

I feel privileged now :U

Great looking platter by the way, love that fiddleback grain

jefferson
1st June 2009, 09:18 PM
Grasshopper here Neil.

The Master did warn me about the "slow sand" in the middle, but poor lighting, a few too many beers and bad eyesight meant I missed the flaw. I must put a light on the tailstock end.

I might get the ROS out tomorrow, take off the offending hump (which is only visible because of the wax shine) and see how it goes.

Another lesson - I shouldn't have taken the piece out of the chuck. It was moving as I turned the piece anyway, but it will take some patience to get it back to running true.

And I did put a piece that had finished with Shellawax under the light today.... Yep, some swirl marks there too. Or are we being just too fussy?

Jim Carroll must love blokes like me. Splash on half a bucket of the good stuff, buff it all off with some mess, then order some more....

I can feel some retail therapy coming on tomorrow. Now what else do I need? No deep hollowing / bowl saving devices just yet!

$500 of redgum turning blanks to pick up tomorrow or the day after. No idea as to quality.

Jeff

tea lady
2nd June 2009, 12:41 AM
Tried the cream and didn't do much better DJ :C Dunno where I'm going wrong. If I get down there this xmas we might have to have a 'Finishingfest' eh!:;

So its not just me then.:C I'm using the cream too. Was blaming the fact I got a jar of the seconds stuff. :shrug: Finish fest could be an idea.:cool:

Ad de Crom
2nd June 2009, 05:37 AM
Jeff, I like the platters, is a good teacher, as well as Calm.
You are a lucky guy with all these guys walking around in your shop.
And a messy shop is a good shop, just a matter of taking the vacuum cleaner (an old one of course)
Ad :2tsup:

jefferson
2nd June 2009, 02:24 PM
Ad, yes I am very fortunate. The Victorian contingent of the WWF is quite active, with old and new hands getting together on a regular basis.

Opinions, views etc do vary, as do skill levels. But I think most if not all get something out of the get-togethers.

There is no substitute for experience and there's plenty of it here.

Jump on a plane and spend some time here in Oz. Free board and lodgings at my place and many others I am sure.

And share some of your experiences! The stuff you turn always impresses.

Jeff

Ad de Crom
2nd June 2009, 03:16 PM
Ad, yes I am very fortunate. The Victorian contingent of the WWF is quite active, with old and new hands getting together on a regular basis.

Opinions, views etc do vary, as do skill levels. But I think most if not all get something out of the get-togethers.

There is no substitute for experience and there's plenty of it here.

Jump on a plane and spend some time here in Oz. Free board and lodgings at my place and many others I am sure.

And share some of your experiences! The stuff you turn always impresses.

Jeff
Jeff, I would like it to visit Aussie, have a nepfew in Aussie he emigrates to Aussie in 1959, spook to him 10 years ago when he was back in Holland for a family reunion.
We planned every year since my retirement trips, this time to England and well to Cornwall and Devon. Have still a long wishlist, like visiting friends in the USA, and Canada. Also I have a big family of my own, so there are for me always a lot of thing to do down the road, sometimes I'm really glad having a weekend free for our own.
But Aussie is standing also on my wishlist, would be great to meet you someday, and having a nice long talk together, and seeing your beautiful country.
I'm to old to emigrate, and I know that I live in a small country, but I love Holland, and more the very pleasent town I live.
All the best, and I keep an eye on your turnings and enjoy it, is for you a great help as I notice all the time.
Ad :2tsup:

rsser
2nd June 2009, 04:11 PM
Ad, my family are Dutch and an uncle and a cousin have come out here several times, and have probably seen more of the country than I have.

My uncle and his wife - both in their 70s - have several times flown into Sydney, hired a camper van and spent several months travelling.

If you want to explore this further I can give you his email address. He's in Amersfoort. He does a little decorative woodcarving too.

Ad de Crom
3rd June 2009, 02:04 AM
Ad, my family are Dutch and an uncle and a cousin have come out here several times, and have probably seen more of the country than I have.

My uncle and his wife - both in their 70s - have several times flown into Sydney, hired a camper van and spent several months travelling.

If you want to explore this further I can give you his email address. He's in Amersfoort. He does a little decorative woodcarving too.
Hi Ern, If I'm right, you told me that before that your uncle live in Amersfoort, as I can remember. You're right, travelling with a camper is the best way to discover Australia.
If we decided to go to Australia it will be that way, free to go where you want to go.
I have to say, I hate big city's,we like more the smaller towns, and the country side.
Another point I'm not used to, I have to drive on the left side of the road, could be a problem....)))
Thanks Ern.
Ad

Calm
3rd June 2009, 07:29 PM
Calm reputes any suggestion he is a good teacher:no::no: (or any sort of teacher) - he stood at the end of the lathe and talked SHYTE (and drank about 10 cups of tea) for about 3 hours while Jeff did the work.

Probably the fact he wasnt concentrating too hard helped tthe neatural instincts to just do it.

I did show a couple of things that had told me - as for the grind on the gouge i couldnt get it to cut so ground it as Cliff told me - Set the leg on number 3 have 50 mm protruding and get the angle of the front to what you liked (i just used the angle had on it) then ground it on a white wheel and i could get it to cut then so dont know why the grind had on it wouldnt cut?

And another good reason to visit is its great company and time well spent with Jeff & Ann.

The Blackwood platter is a bit rough on the sanding on the back - it was intended as a do and throw away but "someone got attached":;:roll:

Cheers

jefferson
3rd June 2009, 09:22 PM
As a result of the many visits from the Board members, I took two orders today for some turned items. One, a little redgum bowl and another redgum platter. Thanks in particular to Calm and .

Thanks also to all who have helped me along the way.

The "return" from the sales will almost cover the cost of my last VM 100 chuck purchase. Must get out in the shed tomorrow and turn some more....

Jeff

tea lady
3rd June 2009, 11:50 PM
Must get out in the shed tomorrow and turn some more....

Jeff:2tsup: I've been turning on my own lathe at home this week. Feels great. And completely different too turning on other peoples.:D I'm doing it again tomorrow too.:cool: