PDA

View Full Version : Women Wood Workers

echnidna
29th June 2004, 08:54 AM
I don't have any hangups about WWW (women wood workers) but are there difficulties if both the man and the woman are wood workers?

echnidna
29th June 2004, 09:06 AM
Drat it!!.. there shoulda bin another question in there,
Will you both share the same timber rack?

jackiew
29th June 2004, 10:22 AM
not likely to have a wife so I voted if the question was posed with husband substituted for wife :-)

I reckon two sheds are the go, maybe within cooee of each other.

silentC
29th June 2004, 11:06 AM
I've invited the missus down to the shed on a number of occasions (keep it clean) but the offer has yet to be taken up. She's not really the arty-crafty type. More of a sports person. She made a cross-stitch once when she was expecting.

HavinaGo
29th June 2004, 11:29 AM
Already share the shed ... a condition for a larger space :) but very distinct work areas

Barry_White
29th June 2004, 12:40 PM
If my wife wanted to do woodwork I would share the shed and the tools. But if she wanted to have her own shed and tools she would have to get a job and pay for them herself as it is to expensive to set up a second shed on a pension.

Markw
29th June 2004, 12:48 PM
Can't convince SWMBO to try woodworking, but that doesn't stop her from thinking the shop would make an excellent dog grooming parlour.
Don't mind for our dogs, but not having the fleas from all those other mongrels she grooms running round the shop floor.
Rather build an extension to the shop than the above alternative

gatiep
29th June 2004, 01:13 PM
If your wife was a wood worker....
Would you share the same workshop?Should both of you dress like ozwinner in the workshop?
Would you share the same tools?

DOES A TICK FOR THE ABOVE MEAN 'YES' OR 'NO'?????

No - we will each have different sheds and tools

NO WAY AT ALL - If swmbo takes up wood work , I will abandon my shed to her and take up cross-stitch

A tick in the above two means that u agree with what is asked.

However it does not make sense ticking any of the top three. Is this a poll for the sake of having a poll?

Reminds me of the guy that said he had a very clever dog. If he said to it " are you coming or not" It either came or didn't.

Have a nice day

silentC
29th June 2004, 01:22 PM
Jeez, take it easy Joe, are you the poll nazi now? :rolleyes:

Of course a tick means yes. If you agree, you tick it, if you disagree you don't.

It's just a bit of fun.

bitingmidge
29th June 2004, 01:59 PM
We would share the same workshop, not tools and not be there at the same time...I would in fact be cross-stitching while she was there, but still retain use of the stuff at other times.

As for dress: She I think would go for the Ozwinner look, but as we all know, silk jammies are just not my go.

Will the outcome of this poll impact on the next federal election at all? Seems to me that a lot of the wooden heads in Canberra need to be very very afraid!

Cheers,

P

echnidna
29th June 2004, 03:45 PM
[/B]Will the outcome of this poll impact on the next federal election at all? Seems to me that a lot of the wooden heads in Canberra need to be very very afraid![B]

of course it will - regardless of the party who wins some of the members will be retired by their constituents. so they may even end up being online woodies!!

gatiep
29th June 2004, 04:39 PM
Hey Darren

Not a poll nazi! LOL . Thanks for the explanation because now this 'thick guy' in the west can also cast a vote. If this was a federal or state poll, then ofcourse it wasn't necessary to know what one is voting for. Seems like with every election there is a hell of a lot of people that don't anyway.

SWMBO can use my workshop, provided she cleans up after her.....um um and me! Dunno about using the same tools though.

silentC
29th June 2004, 04:48 PM
If this was a federal or state poll, then ofcourse it wasn't necessary to know what one is voting for. Seems like with every election there is a hell of a lot of people that don't anyway.

I bet there's a few people in Florida who wish they'd paid a bit more attention ;)

ozwinner
29th June 2004, 05:30 PM
My missus always wants to get her hands on my tools, which one do I vote for?

Al :D

Sorry , I just cant help it. :p

forunna
30th June 2004, 03:38 AM
Its hard enough keeping my shed tidy with all her damn horse gear as it is. and she loses anything with a sharp edge to it that she can find to open her chaff bags.

mikie
1st July 2004, 01:36 PM
Yes I wished my love would do woodworking and i would use the same tools. Mikie

Turbulance
6th August 2004, 07:56 AM
Argg! - if SWMBO got any more space in my 6 x 6 meter shed I would have to buy a new shed - she already claimed 0.5 x 2 meters of valuable floor space for her work materials and thats where I want to keep my wood!

Zed
6th August 2004, 08:48 AM
My missus is welcome, however she probably would not sit through my tool acclimitisation class.... I caught her using the bench grinder the other day sharpening her shovel which in itself aint so bad but I got a bit worried as she was holding it down the handle rather than up near the edge being sharpened so I was worried about kick back or grab (and consequences thereto such as a wheel cracking and flying intoher torso/face...)

she's more interested in the garden anyway....

electricmonk
7th August 2004, 07:24 PM
Hmm, we allready share tools, In fact I purchased a scroll saw for her with my tax return. Knowing my luck she will start to get interested and surpass me as easily as she did with computer graphics, Oh well If I turn out to be a woodworking dud at least I can make her a coffee and look after the kids while she builds me a desk

EDIT: Hey look this thing on the left tells me how old I am..cool. I keep forgetting so a very handy tool indeed

Ben from Vic.
7th August 2004, 09:32 PM
Knowing my luck she will start to get interested and surpass me as easily as she did with computer graphics

EDIT: Hey look this thing on the left tells me how old I am..cool. I keep forgetting so a very handy tool indeed

LoL. I have been known to use the words "Your not alowed to be better at my hobby than I am"

Maybe, if we ask Neil nicely, hell make it so all our important dates are listed there so we'll never forget them . ;)

Ben.

E. maculata
7th August 2004, 09:56 PM
We already share all, we each have our own strengths and weakness in skills and tend to complement each other, although my newfound obsession with hand planes has her and the kids puzzled, bemused actually.
I cut to size, plane to size, procrastinate, she sands, coats, we assemble, the kids hammer things, select screws handtools, use cordless tools, help sand and apply glues and are great portable clamps. :D

MarkV
7th August 2004, 11:37 PM
and are great portable clamps. :D
LOL excellent! I will have to remember that :D

MarkV
7th August 2004, 11:40 PM
"Would you share the same workshop?" Do you guys get a choice?;)

Turbulance
8th August 2004, 03:55 AM
My wife finds the shed too hot in summer and too cold in winter. She complained about dust getting into her boxes of stuff she had stored in there, so I moved it all out, reclaiming the 2 meters of wall space it took up, and moved my wood pile there. Amazing how much more room that made in my shed!

Slavo
9th August 2004, 10:24 AM
One of those home/lifestyle shows (channel 7??) is running a competition for women woodworkers and the prize is $5k from Carbatec and $5k hire from Kennards for a year. So getting SWMBO involved in making sawdust could fund that new tablesaw & bandsaw & 8" jointer ...

John Saxton
10th August 2004, 10:51 PM
I'd have no problem sharing with the one WMBO in fact she often lends a hand (providing there's a spare pair o' gloves around) with dimensioning timber especially when theres a fair lot to do.

I dont mind as it gives her a chance to see what I have bought that she has'nt noticed before and me a chance to say I need to do this and that and I need that to do it.
I reckon if'n they dont have some understandin' o' your shed then they're less likely to let loose the Visa :D :D :D but I can feel the bit twixt me teef :eek: an the reins a pullin in....gasppp cant last out much longer if'n only I can make it to at least one more wood show.

Cheers :)