PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Wood

Steve_DownUnder
29th June 2004, 03:08 PM
Howdy All

Having read most of the threads about making workbenches it appears to me that they all talk about the method of making but not neccesarily the materials to use.

As I indicated in an earlier thread I am currently looking into making a decent one for myself at the moment ( not the ultimate bench but one that will do the job and at least look reasonably like a "real" one).

The question finally ......

What do you guys use as material for the benches ? Do you use oregon ? pine ? for the frame and then MDF for the top edged with the same timber as used for the base or do you have another preference ?

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

thanks

steve

silentC
29th June 2004, 03:36 PM
Steve,

I think that really depends on your budget. I've seen some fantastic looking benches made from all sorts of exotic timber. The cost of the timber alone for some of these must run in the humdreds, if not the thousands.

What do you want from a workbench? Do you want it to be functional and cheap, or do you want people to admire it as a work of art?

My bench cost me the sum total of $0. It's made from whatever I had lying around. Part of it is from an old bench of my Grandfather's. The top is two 8x2" hardwood planks. Two of the legs are from an old 4" square verandah post, two are from an old desk. The stretchers are pine from an old balustrade.

I think the most important factors are that it is heavy, solid, resists racking, and is flat and level on top. You also need plenty of clamping purchase. In my opinion, the timber is less important and can be what ever you have or can get easily and cheaply.

Steve_DownUnder
29th June 2004, 04:10 PM
SilentC

thanks for that ... you are right there are some unbelievable benches out there that I have no hope of copyiing !!! ( well at least they wouldnt look the same )

I was more curious about whether people have a preference in timber. Some on here use pine , some seem to think oregon is a bit soft although assuming proper joints I cant see there being any issues ( I must admit I am leaning towards oregon just as something different) others as you say use some rather exotic timbers to make their benches. I am definitely at the low end of the timber market !!

My bench is for both power and hand tools.

Thanks

steve

silentC
29th June 2004, 04:38 PM
I think you'll find people are using things like oregon and pine because that's what's available. Oregon is pretty common in recycling yards because it has been very popular for framing timber in the past. You can get some good sections from old joists and beams.

Personally, if I was starting from scratch, I'd be looking at some kind of hardwood. I made a lathe bench based on a plan from The Workbench Book. It's made from some hardwood milled locally, cheap as chips. Actually bought it to use as formwork for a driveway. It's very heavy and you can make reliable joints like through wedged tenons that wont come loose. The only metal used on this bench is in the four screws that hold the lathe to it.

If you want to use oregon, you'll probably also want to use mechanical fastenings.

You could try a recycled timber yard like Ironwood in Lilyfield Road and see what they've got. You might find something that will do the trick for a good price.

If you want inspiration, have a look at "The Workbench Book" by Scott Landis.

Gumby
29th June 2004, 05:22 PM
Oregon was the choice for me but that's because I had quite a bit lying around when my old carport was demolished to make way for the garage. The beams were about 5m long and very thick. It's not that flat on top but I don't use it to lay things up yet. It's more a work bench and really cops a hammering. The other suggestion is to check out the door manufacturers. You may come across a solid core door with a ding or two in it and they throw them out pretty cheap.

bitingmidge
29th June 2004, 05:46 PM
I've been agonising over this for quite some time as a read of a couple of other threads will attest!

I have finally come to the following conclusions regarding the frame:

Oregon, (because I have it for free)
Legs - ex 100X100
Stretchers - (top and bottom in each direction) Ex 150 x50
Morticed, tenoned and EPOXIED!!! (I dare it to rack...)

That should take care of the weight in the frame really....

The top is still a struggle though...I am currently wavering towards quartersawn, laminated oregon about 40mm thick again because it's free. I don't really have any problems with the softness of the top, if it becomes a problem in time, I'll laminate a harder surface over it.

Or should I just use 30mm MDF? Don't know...but as soon as I have finished the dust extraction, and a couple of other cupboards I'm hoping someone will have made up my mind for me!

I was going to do a "Derek", but don't trust my workmanship and figure I've got the rest of my life to build the ultimate one.

If it ends up not heavy enough, it'll get cupboards under it, if it does rack eventually it'll get plywood sides!

Now how to finish it?

Cheers,

P

ozwinner
29th June 2004, 05:46 PM
I used Irish Pine for the frame and a length of chipboard flooring for the top, so my bench is 3.6x.9M.

Al :D

GregLee
29th June 2004, 10:13 PM
My bench works pretty well. Unfortunately you wouldn't call it a work of art. It's made of pine framing with MDF top. I also have a sheet of MDF fixed to one side to stop racking and this has a tool bin fixed to it.

IanW
30th June 2004, 09:25 AM
Steve - here's a bench I made from all recycled and scrounged stuff. Main bench is mostly Spottted Gum, near as I can tell; tail vise screw is Belah, and handle Wattle (both scrounged). Total cost: a few $$ for the stretcher bolts and two coach screws that hold the top on the base, plus the vise, which in this case was the most basic Record, since it was supposed to be a 'portable' for taking to shows, etc.
You don't need to spend a fortune in this country to get a very serviceable (and perhaps even good-looking!) bench out of wood that should outlast you and the next generation.....
cheers,

Steve_DownUnder
30th June 2004, 09:28 AM
thanks all for the feedback.

I am not looking to make a work of art but would at least like it to look nice. Sounds like I might just stick with my original plans of using oregon ( because I can get it at a pretty good price ).

The legs will be 90X90 with stretchers top and bottom of 70X70, joints will be pinned m&T so hopefully this should hold up. Incidentally I will be putting a cabinet under it with drawers and shelves so this would I think get rid of any possible racking issues.

as always the info to be found on here is fantastic.

steve