PDA

View Full Version : Hoarhound beer

Black Cat
1st June 2009, 07:23 PM
Now i know it's a declared weed but I seem to have lots of it on my new land which I am slowly reducing on a regular basis. But someone mentioned it is good for making beer. So far I have established it is also good for making candy and for treating coughs and colds, but no-one seems to know how to use it to make beer. Does anyone out there happen to have a recipe? If so I can use the stuff more effectively than at present. There is too much of it for my compost heaps to cope with so at present I am stockpiling it to burn ...

watson
1st June 2009, 07:39 PM
People around here use it in a similar manner to hops. I'll see if I can find a recipe in town tomorrow.

Pat
1st June 2009, 08:48 PM
Here's a recipe from Recipes 1810 (http://www.regencylibrary.com/Recipes%201810.htm)

Hoarhound Beer.—Take as much dried hoarhound as you can grasp; boil it one half hour in soft water, then strain it off, and add 2 lbs of moist sugar; boil it again for another half hour, then pour it into a pan, with a few cloves and some ginger. When milk-warm, put in a wine glassful of yeast, to be left to work for 24 hours. Bottle it, but be sure not to cork it tight. It may be used immediately. When first poured out, it will look thick, but if allowed to stand a few minutes, it will soon become clear.

From a few other hits, it's and acquired taste . . .

Black Cat
1st June 2009, 09:00 PM
thanks so much Watson and Pat!! Your efforts are appreciated. If it tastes any good I will send you some, lol (though I gather it is quite bitter ...)

dakotax3
8th June 2009, 09:59 AM
Here is a link with input and a recipe from those who drank it like we did back in the early 80's. :drink2:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8958

www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ozherb/msg0203021121837.html

Horehound Beer
To a large handful of horehound leaves and stems, add about 13.5 litres water and 1kg treacle. Boil for 1 hour, then strain and cool to blood heat. Add 2 tablespoons yeast, and leave, covered with a clean cloth, for 24 hours. Bottle and seal. Ready for use after 1 week. This is a very good remedy for sufferers of chest, nasal and sinus congestion.

www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/brewing/fetch-recipe.php?rid=horehound-beer&PHPSESSID=75b1997ae0ad2e88f31dae21682c19f2
900g horehound
240g ginger
120g corainder seed
2 kg malt extract
1kg sugar
20l of unchlorinated water
Yeast (eg 1762 Belgian Strong Ale)

Also, the book "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" has a recipe.

Black Cat
8th June 2009, 04:38 PM
Wow, thanks for that Dakotax3 - that one with coriander and ginger sounds extra nice - I am quite partial to Sarsparilla so it sounds like it will not make me feel too dreadful - will have to give it a go now ...