PDA

View Full Version : smokin meat?

underfoot
3rd June 2009, 06:50 AM
does anyone use or have built a meat smoker?
I know there are a few plans on the net, I'm just wondering if anyone here uses one so I can quiz them on ,temp, times, what woodchips etc
cheers John

Claw Hama
3rd June 2009, 08:15 AM
Hi Undie, I have one of the little stainless ones that I use to do a few fish, chicken, have done a lamb leg I think also. Great little thing, throw in a half inch of chips/large grain saw dust like fine chainsaw dust light the little metho burners and 20 - 30 min you have a kg of smoked fish. I only rub a little salt to tast over the fish or you can add a little brown sugar etc if you want. I don't use all those commercial smoking briens with chemicals in them. Have fun, it's quick and easy. And any old box you can throw a tray and a gille in will do the job. We did make one for my dad out of an old 20lb gas cylinder.

Pagie
6th June 2009, 01:31 PM
I also have one of the cheap stainless smokers, they work for hot smoking fish and bacon. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/125/323457889_4cd1ed8253.jpg

I also smoke fish and bacon in the Weber. You can smoke fish in two baking dishes and a cake wire tray, one of the baking dishes is used as a lid. Fine for eating now or in the next few days. If you want to keep the product for longer you must cold smoke. Separate the fire from the smoke area by about 6ft of pipe. I am about to turn an old pottery kiln I have into a cold smoker. Will post pics when done.

Buzza
6th June 2009, 11:21 PM
http://www.bbqblue.com.au/smoke_woods/home.html

BBQ Blue seems to have lots of great ideas, and has a page or two on smoking meat etc. :)

It looks like a kettle BBQ is best way to go, but if you want to make one, then it wouldn't be too hard I reckon. I knew of a bloke that used a length of clay pipe on a slight tilt. He smoked heaps of tucker, es[ecially rabbit, which he sold around the local pubs in rush hours. :D

underfoot
8th June 2009, 05:03 PM
thanks for the info folks,
I bought an old stainless cabinet from the recyclers and am thinking of turning it into a purpose built smoker,( mainly for fish) I'll post some pics once I know what I'm doing,
cheers

rrobor
15th July 2009, 05:28 PM
Place where I came from used to do fish, They had small wooden sheds with rows of hooks each side which held up long dowels, They just hooked the fish with a tenter hook and fed it on the dowel, once full it went into the shed. The fire was just sawdust and shavings kept damp by the dripping fish. I think you would have to take care if you were smoking and cooking. The odd green gum leaf on the barby coals adds quite a bit so it would be easy to overdo it.

watson
15th July 2009, 07:57 PM
Always one to overdo things :D
I have a smoke house built into the old 1920's crapper at our house.
It consists of an old Vulcan electric stove, and above it the outside skin of an old washing machine which has dowells and hooks to hold the produce..
I use the oven for the chips.sitting right on the element.
The thermostat is set to low (technical term):U which means that it gets the chips smoking in about 10 minutes, and then the hot chips ensure that the thermostat goes off for the rest of the session. It can hot or cold smoke, depending on the oven thermostat setting.
The absolute "overdoing" is that I live in an area with over 30 vineyards, so each pruning season, the vineyard workers drop off bundles of vine prunings at my gate, and I wack 'em through the mulcher and use those chips to smoke.
The absolute "overdoing" is to ask your guests if they would like Shiraz smoked, Chardonnay smoked or Cabernet smoked produce.

I know......I've really got to get a meaningful purpose in life.:U :U

The above is all true and only bought to you by the auspices of an over fertile recycling habit, and a desire to make really good smoked product.

Have Fun With It.