PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a Lazy Susan

Tiger
4th June 2009, 01:07 AM
Maybe it's because it's late but I'm working on a Lazy Susan which is a round one rather than the square ones which have plentiful instructions on the web. How do you attach the bottom and top slabs as it seems to me that once the bottom is attached the top screw holes are obscured?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th June 2009, 01:30 AM
It's basically the same process.

Round bearings usually have one "side" larger than the other, with a single large hole in it. This is the "bottom" and you place it in position on the bottom piece, the mark the screw holes and the centre of the "large" hole.

The large hole is drilled out, so that after you screw the bearing to the bottom you can position the assembly onto the top section and fit the screws through the large hole, rotating the bearing to move the hole over each screw.

Easier done than said. :)

(If you look at the round bearing on this page (http://www.tgindustries.com.au/cat_lsb.html), you can just barely see the large hole I'm talking about on the inside of the left-hand side.)

Grumpy John
4th June 2009, 08:25 AM
Handy link there Skew, thanks for that :2tsup:. Do you know if they sell direct to the public?

Tiger
4th June 2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks, Skew. So you actually have to drill through the wooden base, I didn't think of that as that would ruin the piece but I guess it's only the base.

Calm
4th June 2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks, Skew. So you actually have to drill through the wooden base, I didn't think of that as that would ruin the piece but I guess it's only the base.

I guess if you wanted to retain the option of turning it over you could mount/screw one side and glue the other.

This would eliminate the need for the hole in the base peice of wood.

24 hour Araldite should do the job for you especially if you made a small recess to fit the bearing into also help to locate it centrally.

Cheers

Sturdee
4th June 2009, 05:09 PM
How do you attach the bottom and top slabs as it seems to me that once the bottom is attached the top screw holes are obscured?

Do you need to screw the base down?

I have a number of lazy susans at home and I just fixed the top to the mechanism and glued some cloth material to the bottom and have them resting on the table. Easy tro move and clean under and they never seem to shift so they are sturdy enough.

Peter.

Mrs Woodpecker
4th June 2009, 06:52 PM
Try using with a magnetized philips head screwdriver to attach the screws. I almost gave up on the lazy susans till that hint was given to me.
Cheers, Shirley

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th June 2009, 07:18 PM

You do with the square ones, too. Unless you're screwing 'em to square bits of wood.

The hole in the base shouldn't be visible from above anyway - unless you're up close and peering into the works of the bearing - 'cos the hole is covered by the mounting plate. It shouldn't "ruin" the look of the base unless you screw up in a BIG way.

Of course, the hole is obvious when you turn it upside-down... but you can always tell a new owner "that's the service hole so you can replace the bearing at a future date, if needed." :D

powderpost
4th June 2009, 09:00 PM
I glue a cork floor tile to the bottom of the bearing with contact adhesive, after the bearing is screwed to the top.
Jim

RETIRED
4th June 2009, 11:53 PM
I glue a cork floor tile to the bottom of the bearing with contact adhesive, after the bearing is screwed to the top.
JimWhat a great idea. I have always drilled a base.