PDA

View Full Version : storing silicone sealant

WISE
30th June 2004, 12:30 AM
Does anyone have any bright ideas on storing silicone sealant?

I tend to seal small jobs like gutters and downpipes and recently used some sealant that i had stored, a near full tube with a nail in the nozzle and silicone smeared around the end, this seams to work on most sealants (short term) but not this particular roof and gutter silicone which cured in the tube to make a nice sized silicone sausage.

It has also been suggested to use alfoil and glad wrap to cover end once nozzle removed, any other suggestions?

journeyman Mick
30th June 2004, 01:21 AM
Wise,
when you've finished using it keep the nozzle on and pump a little bit of fresh stuff out. Wipe this off with a tissue or rage and use masking tape to seal the nozzle end then pop the whole thing in the fridge. Works pretty well for me most of the time.

Mick

bitingmidge
30th June 2004, 10:06 AM
Fridge.

I once knew the reason, something to do with slowing the chemical reaction...once oxygen (or one of the other gases in the air) gets to it, a chain reaction happens - a bit like adding water to cement. That's why you squeeze the fresh stuff out and cap it IMMEDIATELY as well.

Hope that adds to the wealth of useless info on the web!

Cheers,

P :D

Dean
30th June 2004, 10:32 AM
I found wrapping the threads of the tube where the nozzle connects with regular thread sealing tape helps stop air getting in that way. A nail in the top usually seals that, although often some part in the nozzle sets up, but is easily removed without too much loss.

echnidna
30th June 2004, 11:40 AM
And always keep a spare new tube just in case.

davo453
30th June 2004, 11:43 AM
You just need an air tight seal, I recently (through my work) toured a factory were they fill the cartridges. Bulk silicon is stored in airtight 44 gallon drums for lengthy periods.

Unfortunately once used the tubes are not necessarily airtight even with a nail in the end or a cap. The push in plastic thing at the bottom often leaks and allows air in when you store it. maybe a Tupperware type container would do the trick.

Cheers Dave

HavinaGo
30th June 2004, 04:13 PM
I tried a few sealing efforts but have resorted to simply leaving a little silicon out the end of the nozzel and that is it.

Next time I use the stuff, I pull out the plug. I normally don't need any tools if the sticking out bit is long enough and the time of storage is not too long.

If it has been a long while (+6 months), removing the plug of solid silicon may require removing the nozzel and pushing the plug out the wider, threaded end using a screw driver or stick.

nexusone
30th June 2004, 10:40 PM
I seal the nozzle with insulation tape after use. However, the best advice is when buying a tube of silicone (or anything else in a tube) - is to collect 2-3 extra screw on nozzles from the hardware shop. They don't charge extra. If you find the silicon is cured in the nozzle, just unscrew it (chuck away) and put on a new one. I have found this method pretty foolproof.

Steve

WISE
30th June 2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all your replies,

tried most of those suggestions except the fridge, might give it a go, also had a friend suggest the freezer, don't know how well this would work after waiting for it to defrost.

As for Mick's suggestion on cleaning off excess silicone, "Wipe this off with a tissue or rage" rage normally breaks thing's for me, but if it works for you great;) (been reading too many of those posts picking on spelling and grammar issues)

WISE
30th June 2004, 11:11 PM
Echnidna,

very wise man indeed, this solid tube of silicone caught me in the middle of doing some down pipe work just before a rainstorm,(external plumbing should always be done at the beginning or during a rainstorm it adds interest) instead of finishing the job i had to rush to get some more, good fun.

soundman
1st July 2004, 03:41 PM
I've always used a screw rather than a nail, big enough to bite into the sides of the end of the tube.

But if you leave it more than a month your chances are prety slim for a good outcome.

some products are more & less tolerant than others. Sicaflex is a bugger no matter how much you try to seal the end, onece shes open it will be off in a few days.
I've had no more gaps stay ok for months.

cheers

E. maculata
3rd July 2004, 10:46 PM
A method I still use is one that I picked in my wasted youth (drag bikes & tin tops) for ensuring the expensive gasket compounds didn't go off between engine rebuilds. When the tasks finished, undo the nozzle place a piece of clear plastic between it and the threaded section of cartridge, do up, then get a screw with an aggressive thread a bit larger than opening and screw into it(I use the cordless & 8 g wood thread for this) put the whole thing into old plastic bag & tie off.
It really works as I just finished an old tube of liq nails that was opened 3 yrs ago, and used maybe 3-4 times over that period.

Bruce C.

scooter
4th July 2004, 02:11 PM
Gday all

Couple of other ideas

Drip candle wax over the tip, & also where the tip meets catridge

Push a drinking straw down the tip, squeeze silicone into straw then store. Next time pull straw out & tip SHOULD :rolleyes: be clear.

Simplest way to keep airtight could be store under water somehow?

Good idea as mentioned to keep spare tube(s) on hand. Another tip, if putting up Ceramalite (embossed tile-look panelling) buy PLENTY (3X recommended) quantity of Liquid Nails & later return the unused tubes, to save the midnight dash (& paying through the nose) to Safeway....DAMHIKT :eek:

Cheers.........Sean

Markw
4th July 2004, 06:21 PM
I've always used a screw rather than a nail, big enough to bite into the sides of the end of the tube.

I've found that a wooden golf tee works better than screws - no gap around the thread and larger than a nail.

Whilst I play golf at company functions, I don't use the wooden tees - the plastic ones are much better - I wouldn't waste those on a tube of silicone.