PDA

View Full Version : The Ellsworth grind DVD

jefferson
4th June 2009, 08:16 PM
Ern lent me the Ellsworth DVD (thanks Ern) which covers how to use the Ellsworth "signature" ground chisel.

First up, I've got to say that it's not for beginners like me. He breaches many "cardinal" rules - cutting without bevel support and cutting downhill rather than up.

Clearly, experienced turners will benefit from his techniques, but I would suggest that some of the cuts (which all the pro turners on DVD seem to do on green wood) are not for novices. I tried one of the back-cuts today and had some almighty catches - no bevel support - on some cranky redgum. Not so when using the traditional approach. (I get catches with the skew on spindle work regularly, but not too often on bowls with traditional methods),

Obviously, I have a long way to go. So I think at this stage, the Ellsworth grind is not for me.

I'll re-grind my new 5/8 Kryo tomorrow to a century old approved grind and see how it goes. More steel down the drain.....

Jeff

Pat
4th June 2009, 11:26 PM
Jeff, a suggestion that you place the Ellsworth gouge in the corner for a while and play with your other chisels on the redgum. If you happen to pick up some green timber, say a fruit wood, maybe then you can go back and experiment with the Ellsworth Gouge. I agree it is not the best toy for the beginner using Dry Australian Hardwood, but it can be used with a very light hand.

So put it in a corner/cupboard/rack and get back to enjoying turning. BTW you're a braver man than me turning up those big redgum platters. I'll only go to 290mm.

RETIRED
4th June 2009, 11:47 PM
Jeff.

Part of the problem is that the chisels I have shaped for you are not true "Ellsworth" grind and the principles used are slightly different.

The Ellsworth grind comes back in towards the flute and has a very narrow bevel.

My grind is virtually in line with the flute with a wide bevel right round.

It requires a different technique of use and was mainly ground this way for rapid waste removal.

All will be shown on the 20th. because it is hard to explain in words.

Pat
5th June 2009, 06:37 AM
, could you please get someone to video your explanation.

No wonder Jeff is mussed up:U

rsser
5th June 2009, 07:43 AM
What do you mean by 'back cut' Jeff? If you mean a pulling cut, where you're cutting on the wing and drawing the tool towards you (eg to flatten or slightly hollow a tenon) then prob a push cut to start with is best and when it's getting smooth you can push and pull. A pull cut is not one I'd use for hogging out.

Cutting downhill: yes, this is what you do when the oncoming fibres are supported, eg. hollowing a bowl that is not semi-enclosed.

Cutting without rubbing the bevel: not sure what you mean by this. Shear scraping? As long as the shaft is supported on the axis of the cutting edge this is an effective and controllable cut on a bowl outside.

But as you describe yourself as a beginner then maybe it's best to master one kind of gouge/geometry before trying something else.

Cliff Rogers
5th June 2009, 08:20 AM
& I both have a swept back grind but his is different to mine & he uses it different to the way I do.
The way the bloke in the video uses it is different to both of us.

I reckon you need to play with it on some scrap or a stack of roughing out before you give up.

RETIRED
5th June 2009, 08:21 AM
& I both have a swept back grind but his is different to mine & he uses it different to the way I do.
The way the both in the video uses it is different to both of us.

I reckon you need to play with it on some scrap or a stack of roughing out before you give up.:2tsup:

jefferson
5th June 2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys, I won't be giving up. The sharpening weekend isn't far away, so I'll wait until then for some more guidance.

If someone (maybe Ern) could bring a "true" Ellsworth ground gouge along it might be helpful.

I'll also demonstrate some catches too!

Jeff

RETIRED
5th June 2009, 01:01 PM
There will be most of the chisel grinds on hand and probably some I haven't thought of yet.:D

Jim Carroll
5th June 2009, 01:52 PM
There will be most of the chisel grinds on hand and probably some I haven't thought of yet.:D

And probably some you have never seen yet.