PDA

View Full Version : Export sketch up files to PDF format

garfield
5th June 2009, 11:35 PM
G'day all,

2 quick questions please.

1. How Can I export a normal sketch up file into PDF format please?

2. I have just downloaded sketch up 7 and I don't like the way it looks on opening. I was working on sketch up 5 and I notice on sketchup 7 as soon as u\you open 7 you have a picture of a man and the background is grey. So how can I get rid of the guy for good, and also change the background from grey to white please?

Thanks for your help in advance
Geoff

Big Shed
5th June 2009, 11:42 PM
Not in to Sketchup, so don't know whether there is a direct export to pdf function, but you can always download CutePDF which installs itself on your computer as a virtual printer.

When you hit print in any program, you the select CutePDF as your destination printer and instead of printing to paper it prints to a pdf file.

Download.com will have it free to download.

garfield
6th June 2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the reply Big Shed, but I know from doing it in the past that I can just export it into a pdf file but I just can't remember how I did it.

I'd still love to be able to get rid of that bloke from the start up of sketch up too.

Cheers

DJ’s Timber
6th June 2009, 11:42 AM
Click on Window>Preferences>Template and then select one of the Templates without the Model

mic-d
6th June 2009, 01:43 PM
On Sketchup 6 it is File>Print>PDF>Save PDF file

Cheers
Michael

garfield
6th June 2009, 02:21 PM
Click on Window>Preferences>Template and then select one of the Templates without the Model

I can bring up a plain view by changing the template but it only comes up in meters and want mm. I'd like a plain view but in mm so how can I achieve this please?

DJ’s Timber
6th June 2009, 02:35 PM
I can bring up a plain view by changing the template but it only comes up in meters and want mm. I'd like a plain view but in mm so how can I achieve this please?

Window>Model Info>Units then change the setting to suit.

By the way I'm finding all of this by just looking, looks like most settings are changed from the Window Section. You asked so I looked and found it.

Don't be afraid to look and play around

kayu
6th June 2009, 04:55 PM
Hi Garfield,

Assuming you have the Pro version do the following:

To export to pdf select file-export-2d graphic select in the next window at the export type PDF.

Done

The above is not available in the free version:no:
Kayu

mic-d
6th June 2009, 05:02 PM
Hi Garfield,

Assuming you have the Pro version do the following:

To export to pdf select file-export-2d graphic select in the next window at the export type PDF.

Done

The above is not available in the free version:no:
Kayu

See my earlier post. You can save pdf in the free version.

Cheers
Michael

kayu
6th June 2009, 07:32 PM
Michael,

Sorry but I must disagree with you.
The question by Garfield was regarding Sketchup ver 7.

In the free version it is not possible to export as pdf. The only options you have are bmp, jpg tif and png, see attached screengrab.

In the Pro version, wich you have to buy, you do have the option to export to pdf.

Kayu

mic-d
7th June 2009, 09:22 AM
Michael,

Sorry but I must disagree with you.
The question by Garfield was regarding Sketchup ver 7.

In the free version it is not possible to export as pdf. The only options you have are bmp, jpg tif and png, see attached screengrab.

In the Pro version, wich you have to buy, you do have the option to export to pdf.

Kayu

It's not where you are looking. As I said, you go to File>Print>PDF>Save as PDF.

Just downloaded the free 7 and it's still there. Here is a screen dump showing the PDF pulldown.

Cheers
Michael

mic-d
7th June 2009, 06:44 PM
Geoff, were you looking to make a pdf as a 2d image file (to insert in a document, etc) or a pdf file with the full 3d information in it (as I think export pdf file will do - this is what Kayu is talking about I think)?
Cheers
Michael

kayu
7th June 2009, 07:46 PM
Michael,

I did look at the print options but I definitely do not have an option to print or save to pdf. See picture.

Maybe it is printer related? I'm using a simple canon inkjet, not familiar with the one you are using.

Kayu

garfield
8th June 2009, 10:59 AM
lol..... You both have too much knowledge of sketchup and I'm envious :D

You have both more than answered my question and I appreciate it guys thanks.

mic-d
8th June 2009, 11:08 AM
Michael,

I did look at the print options but I definitely do not have an option to print or save to pdf. See picture.

Maybe it is printer related? I'm using a simple canon inkjet, not familiar with the one you are using.

Kayu

Maybe it's because I'm using a superior computing system (mac):D:D:D

Cheers
Michael

kevjed
8th June 2009, 02:00 PM
Right on Micheal

kayu
8th June 2009, 05:40 PM
God that hurts :D

Kayu