PDA

View Full Version : First goblet

Grumpy John
6th June 2009, 12:29 PM
Had a go at a goblet/wine glass this week. This was only a practice on some old pallet boards glued together.

This is what I was trying to achieve.

This is what I got :C:doh::~.

Not exactly the same :no:.

Nice and thin at the top and bottom of the "bowl", not too good around the radius. Slightly out of focus, sorry.

Managed to get the foot reasonably thin also.

It was only a practice go and I learnt a lot from it. What do the goblet turners out there use for checking wall thickness? I've got a pair of thickness calipers, but they're not much chop for checking around the radius or the bottom of a bowl.

I won't be drinking anything from this goblet because according to the Axe Wielder the darker boards are treated pine :oo:.

Ed Reiss
6th June 2009, 12:46 PM
Ya did good John...nicely turned and finished.

Depending on what you drink from it, say Bicardi 150, you probably wont care that it's made from pine:cheers2::stirthepot::drunk22:

Gil Jones
6th June 2009, 01:25 PM
Hey John,
Nice looking first goblet:2tsup:
Just a thought: consider how the vino holding part might look if you could pressurize it just a tad, causing the straight (vertical) sides to balloon outward into a slight curve (like the glass one).
Cheers,:)

tea lady
6th June 2009, 03:24 PM
Hey Not bad. I like the light trick. Shape isn't bad either. Curve could have been a little more even, but :shrug: its also nice as is.:cool:

Grumpy John
6th June 2009, 04:22 PM
Hey John,
Nice looking first goblet:2tsup:
Just a thought: consider how the vino holding part might look if you could pressurize it just a tad, causing the straight (vertical) sides to balloon outward into a slight curve (like the glass one).
Cheers,:)

That's exactly the look I was aiming for :2tsup:.

I did the inside first and didn't get the shape right, so when I turned the outside it obviously followed the inside form. Hopefully I'll do better on the next effort, there's plenty of glued up pallet timber left :rolleyes:.

Calm
6th June 2009, 04:24 PM
Good effort John, now you need to make another from a peice of redgum or something and you could sit down with the wife and have one each to drink from:o:o

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th June 2009, 04:30 PM
Very nicely done! Especially for a first.

I wouldn't stress too much about exact duplication; copy turning is an art in itself. It's bad enough trying to copy a bowl, let alone throw in the extra complications caused by thin stems. :wink:

As for gauging thickness I use my fingers. When pieces are under 5mm thick, I find the fingers are pretty good at picking up variations.

I used to use a large set of calipers to test the bottom of the bowl and a small set for the wall, but I'm inherently lazy. :-:p

Calm
6th June 2009, 04:38 PM
................................I won't be drinking anything from this goblet because according to the Axe Wielder the darker boards are treated pine :oo:.

If you would like a nice dry pece for you next effort i just pulled out the old sheep plunge dip at the farm and could save you a post or too - nice dry 4 x 4 redgum.:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

Grumpy John
6th June 2009, 04:47 PM
If you would like a nice dry pece for you next effort i just pulled out the old sheep plunge dip at the farm and could save you a post or too - nice dry 4 x 4 redgum.:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

PM sent :2tsup:.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th June 2009, 04:50 PM
Sheep-dip and treated pine?

Sounds like the perfect set for the in-laws... :D

Calm
6th June 2009, 05:12 PM
PM sent :2tsup:.

Do you want the end that has been in the ground near the drain pen or is the top of the post more to your likeing:?:D:rolleyes:

Cheers

rsser
6th June 2009, 05:27 PM
At this rate GJ will need crutching and the folds will never rot.

Nice effort John. My first could've doubled as a hatchet handle, the right timber anyway.

Ad de Crom
6th June 2009, 06:59 PM
Well John, nice first try, very good looking goblet.
I have to admit that it's not so easy to copy precisely a glass goblet into a wooden goblet. Tricky enough to turn it with thin walls, and a slender stem.
You did it well by turning first the inside, maybe a mould made of board for the inside get you on the right track to copy the inside shape.
Made a couple goblets in the past, time to do it again, always a big fun.
Cheers. Ad :2tsup:

powderpost
6th June 2009, 10:48 PM
G'day John,
Good effort. When I do a thin goblet, I shape and sand the inside first, then follow the shape on the outside. Otherwise the thin walls flex and you can get a catch. Check the thickness by shining a torch into the bowl. Still a nice job. :2tsup:
Jim

Grumpy John
7th June 2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I think I'll have to make about 10 of them before I get a matching pair :p, but I'll have fun doing it :2tsup:.

theartist09
22nd September 2009, 11:49 PM
What is the best product to use to seal the inside of a goblet? I have heard everything from melting plexiglass to beeswax. If anyone can give any help on this it would be greatly appreciated. If i'm in the wrong forum to post this , just let me know. This is my first one, i think there will be more to come.

Thanks,
Jim

wheelinround
23rd September 2009, 09:43 AM
This and building a shed to :o nice work GJ

Hope the wind hasn't blown either away

Grumpy John
23rd September 2009, 11:32 AM
What is best to use to seal the inside of a goblet? I have heard everything from melting plexiglass to beeswax. If anyone can give any help on this it would be greatly appreciated. If i'm in the wrong forum to post this , just let me know.

Thanks,
Jim

Skew's the man when it comes to goblets. I'm sure he'll respond, if not I'm sure he won't mind a PM.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2009, 03:52 PM
What is best to use to seal the inside of a goblet? I have heard everything from melting plexiglass to beeswax. If anyone can give any help on this it would be greatly appreciated.

If the goblet is going to be a user, I like to use Rustin's Plastic Finish. Which is basically a high end epoxy. :)

I know people who use a PolyU, but I've had no real success with that, finding that after a time it starts lifting & peeling around the rim.

theartist09
23rd September 2009, 09:55 PM
Hi and thanks for the return. I suppose you are talking about this,
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=23018&name=Rustin%27s+Plastic+Finish&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=44 ,It comes with a hardener, Is this the right one? I'm in the U.S. and can't seem to order it. Do you have any idea where i can get this or something like it?

Thanks again,
Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2009, 10:40 PM
That's the stuff. :)

A little bit goes a long way... it's almost as liquid as water, so I simply mix about a teaspoonful in the goblet bowl and "swish it around" to get the coverage.

theartist09
24th September 2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks but i don't think they ship to the U.S. So, what is the next best product. How about the epoxy finish, is this bought by different can size and brushed on? Thanks for all your help and have a good one.

Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th September 2009, 12:46 PM
Hmmm... I imagine any casting resin would do the job but without doing testing it's hard to say.

It may work, or it may start to lift over time like PolyU. And PolyU is far cheaper...

Sebastiaan56
24th September 2009, 05:37 PM
I wasnt sure which set of curves to look at in the second picture.....

Nice goblet