PDA

View Full Version : Vase

Ad de Crom
6th June 2009, 07:40 PM
Had a lot of fun this week with making this alder vase.
DxH dimensions, 170mm x 270mm.
Hollowed depth 240mm, wallthickness going of 10mm on the top up to 14mm down the bottom. Used my hollowing rig for the hollowing job, with a cutter, cutting tip, and scraper.
As usual finished with three layers blanc transparent lacquer.

orificiam
6th June 2009, 08:20 PM
:oo::oo: Now that's a beautiful Vase Ad, Nice shape and finish. :2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

wheelinround
6th June 2009, 08:22 PM
Nice vase Ad love that wood colour

whats it like to work with??

orraloon
6th June 2009, 10:21 PM
Good vase Ad. I like the look of that alder.

powderpost
6th June 2009, 10:32 PM
Nice job Ad, looks very nice. :2tsup:
Jim

Ed Reiss
7th June 2009, 12:23 PM
excellent work my friend....and having fun doing this stuff is what it's all about.:U

jefferson
7th June 2009, 10:13 PM
Ad,

Hard I know, but what about some pics while you're turning? Your stuff continues to impress us here in Oz.

Deep hollowing.... maybe in 2015.

Jeff

Ad de Crom
8th June 2009, 04:20 AM
Ad,

Hard I know, but what about some pics while you're turning? Your stuff continues to impress us here in Oz.

Deep hollowing.... maybe in 2015.

Jeff
Jeff, not to much honor for me, as I'm just a hobby woodturner, doing a lot of things wrong. I asked my dear lady penfriend Pam Reilly to give her comment and critique, like I always do. Okay, I give it all the way my best shot, but she told me honestly a couple of points what could be done better, like the smallest part of the neck and the foot to give it all more ''pizzas''. So keeping an eye on proportions is important.
She pointed me on the next points, keep the diameter of the smallest part of the neck on about 1/3 of the largest diameter, the same for the foot. And thinking it all over, I guess she's right. Overall the vase is nicely done, but it could be better, like always?
But having such a penfriend is great, and she has a lot of experience, so also with vessels, I correspond with this very nice lady since 2005, and are very happy with her.
I'm working on another vessel (or if you like bowl), turned it roughly and put it into a paper bag for drying. I made already WIP pictures of this rough turning from of the log to the stage of the rough turned piece. After a few weeks I put it back on the lathe for finishing, and make more WIP pictures. I'll post them as a kind of a tutorial of my way of turning. Don't have a video camera, but this will work too, seeing stap by stap the procedure.
Thanks a lot for your attention :2tsup:.
All the best, Ad:)

Texian
8th June 2009, 11:11 AM
Ad,
While I agree with your friend's critique, it's worth noting that you have achieved some very nice and smooth, continuous curvatures with no flat spots. This is not so easy as one might think, so you did some nice work.

Ad de Crom
8th June 2009, 06:15 PM
Ad,
While I agree with your friend's critique, it's worth noting that you have achieved some very nice and smooth, continuous curvatures with no flat spots. This is not so easy as one might think, so you did some nice work.
Thanks Texian, getting the right feedback is needed to improve your turnings, that's why I'm so happy with Pam's comments all the time.
Cheers, Ad