PDA

View Full Version : Calm & the S1000

Grumpy John
6th June 2009, 08:57 PM
Typical isn't it David, you go and buy a brand new Stubby and within a month there's been 2 for sale :doh::C :oo: :(( :~
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=96782

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=97855

Fair dinkum mate I reckon this proves you don't have to be dead to be stiff. I know you looked around for ages before you took the plunge and bought the Stubby, any way, judging by the prices they're fetching you've made a good investment.

tea lady
6th June 2009, 11:40 PM
:rolleyes: Jeez. Don't rub salt into the wound, Grumpy.:C

:D

Calm
7th June 2009, 09:04 AM
:C:bawl::toobad::frown::sayitaintso::shutup1::gaah::anoyd::smack::aargh::fit::boxing5::banghead::club:

please delete this thread before groggy or jefferson sees it - they have a mean streak.

Pat
7th June 2009, 09:11 AM
Grumpy, you are truly evil! :evillaugh:

jefferson
7th June 2009, 10:21 AM
Calm, I wouldn't be having second thoughts about your new lathe. If there's going to be a problem, including the electrics, at least you have warranty.

Cold up here today. Must get out in the shed and light the fire.

Jeff

Calm
7th June 2009, 10:43 AM
Calm, I wouldn't be having second thoughts about your new lathe. If there's going to be a problem, including the electrics, at least you have warranty.

Cold up here today. Must get out in the shed and light the fire.

Jeff

Ernie the milkman is back on the job from tonight until monday week

So hopefuly will call in some time over the next 8 days

Have you made a platter from the blackwood - a copy of the redgum ones would look ok i reckon.

Cheers

Ed Reiss
7th June 2009, 11:56 AM
...'course if you bought the 2 that are on sale you'd have plenty of spare parts on hand:D

Calm
7th June 2009, 12:15 PM
...'course if you bought the 2 that are on sale you'd have plenty of spare parts on hand:D

Ed you dont think 2 S 1000's and a S 750 would be overkill do you?:B:B

Cheers

RETIRED
7th June 2009, 12:30 PM
Ed you dont think 2 S 1000's and a S 750 would be overkill do you?:B:B

CheersNah, 1 for each chuck.:whistling2:

Ed Reiss
7th June 2009, 01:04 PM
hell no....then you can change your user name to "CCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLMMMMMMMMMMMMMer":q

rsser
7th June 2009, 02:45 PM
You could put two S1000s end to end and turn something humongous. Dual drive.

jefferson
7th June 2009, 02:48 PM
Ernie the milkman, you're always welcome.

I've been trying to turn a little lidded box today - half way done. I don't know what's harder to work - redgum or blackwood. Damn pickout. Technical flaws no doubt don't help.

And so sorry, David, I haven't tackled any of the blackwood you so kindly gave me. Still haven't finished the redgum platter either!

A busy week ahead. is trying (quite hard I might add) that I don't need an Ellworth Signature Gouge. Crown I think make one in the super-hard steel, so I may just buy one. What's another $300 after probably $8K in investment? I turn mostly redgum and the trips back to the grinder / Tormek between cuts is annoying.

Damn cold here. 12 degrees and I've got the fire going hard in the shed.

I might have a little nap and get back into it.

Jeff

rsser
7th June 2009, 03:18 PM
Jeff, you are not to read the following :no: you have enough tools to qualify for the junkie trophy.

As the aussie buck creeps back in the direction of parity with the greenback we can start again to consider tools like these http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/products.asp . Both cryo and A-11 steel so the relatively high abrasion resistance is good to deal with our woods.

The 5/8" V flute bowl gouge is very similar to the Ellsworth Sig Gouge.

tea lady
7th June 2009, 11:10 PM

:doh: But the Elsworth has a beautiful parabolic curve. Not the same as "V" or "U". :C can't get the same profile at all.:no: My life just won't be worth living till I get one. :tears: Course, it will be worth more than what the rest of my tools cost me put together. Just call me "Super Scrounger".:cool:

jefferson
7th June 2009, 11:27 PM
Tea Lady, be careful. Otherwise the Tool Police will be onto you. AKA .

What's so wrong with collecting turning tools that you use so infrequently?

Jeff

tea lady
7th June 2009, 11:30 PM
Tea Lady, be careful. Otherwise the Tool Police will be onto you. AKA .

What's so wrong with collecting turning tools that you use so infrequently?

JeffI ain't no tool collector. I haven't hit double figures yet with the chisels. (But I will be when I grow up. :whistling: )

rsser
7th June 2009, 11:39 PM
TL, I was quoting Doug Thompson. 'V' shape is relative to 'U' shape; it's not an exact copy of the letter's form.

If you want to see the Thompson and the Ellsworth side by side come down to the sharpening Saturday.

tea lady
7th June 2009, 11:41 PM
TL, I was quoting Doug Thompson. 'V' shape is relative to 'U' shape; it's not an exact copy of the letter's form.

If you want to see the Thompson and the Ellsworth side by side come down to the sharpening Saturday.

I am.:cool: But was maybe going to come Sunday. :shrug: Maybe Saturday.

rsser
8th June 2009, 12:14 AM
K, well if you're coming on the Sat ping me on the Friday so I remember.

rsser
9th June 2009, 09:19 PM
I've just eyeballed the two gouges Tea Lady.

The Ellsworth Sig gouge does rather better with the parabolic flute, and its ground deeper into the rod.

Sawdust Maker
9th June 2009, 11:17 PM
Jeff, you are not to read the following :no: you have enough tools to qualify for the junkie trophy.

As the aussie buck creeps back in the direction of parity with the greenback we can start again to consider tools like these http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/products.asp . Both cryo and A-11 steel so the relatively high abrasion resistance is good to deal with our woods.

Ern
That's a mean post :cool:
wonder if they'd do a bulk order?

tea lady
9th June 2009, 11:36 PM
I've just eyeballed the two gouges Tea Lady.

The Ellsworth Sig gouge does rather better with the parabolic flute, and its ground deeper into the rod. I thought so. :shrug: I've been playing with them at 's. My gouge has more of a "v" shape. I think I've worked out how to shartpen it now. :cool: Ya gotta follow the inner shape not the outer shape, so if its a v thats how you do the bevel not following the outside round shape, other wise the point isn't there. :doh:

rsser
10th June 2009, 08:01 AM
How long you spend grinding the wings vs. the point makes a lot of difference.

Nick, I'm sure he'd do a bulk mail out but doubt he'd offer a discount. It's a one man operation cottage industry style.

Grumpy John
10th June 2009, 04:48 PM
I'm finding this tool discussion fascinating, but how does a thread get this :offtopic::) :?

rsser
10th June 2009, 04:52 PM
Age related short-term memory loss.

What was your question again GJ?

tea lady
10th June 2009, 08:26 PM
I'm finding this tool discussion fascinating, but how does a thread get this :offtopic::) :?

Well geez! At least it is still lathe related and not the feeding habits of pygmy sloths.:p:rolleyes:

RETIRED
10th June 2009, 10:34 PM
And what are the feeding habits of pygmy sloths?:rolleyes:

Sawdust Maker
10th June 2009, 10:42 PM

Nick, I'm sure he'd do a bulk mail out but doubt he'd offer a discount. It's a one man operation cottage industry style.

I'm not knowledgeable on steels, tool steels etc but what are the chances of organising something like thumbsucker has done with stanley plane blades (over in darkside tools)
ie purchase of suitable rod, grinding to shape, heat treating blah blah (yep I'm already out of my depth) eg pick superflute shape or maybe others and ... who knows

I believe they only survive on a diet of cryo steel and marginata leaves :D

tea lady
10th June 2009, 10:46 PM
And what are the feeding habits of pygmy sloths?:rolleyes:I don't know but surely someone on here does.:D

Ed Reiss
10th June 2009, 11:21 PM

I don't know but surely someone on here does.:D

...pygmy's of course !!!! :q:D:D:D