PDA

View Full Version : First nine months turning

bellyup
9th June 2009, 03:38 PM
Hi All,
Since becoming addicted to this turning thing I have come to appreciate the assistance available here (and a few good laughs as well)
I thought I would post a few pics of bowls I've made from the first to the latest. Any progress that may be noted is due in large part to the help and assistance given here so thanks guys.

Photo 1 - Redgum burl, first bowl I made - made almost entirely with a scraper, couldn't use a gouge. not very deep or smooth complete with wonky bottom.

Photo 2+3 - Mallee root bowl, some months later. Have overcome morbid fear of gouges though still plenty of catches. moderate blood loss on organic edges.

Photo 4+5 - Brown Mallee burl, have learn't to "ride the bevel" , "keep right arm down and in"and "keep cutting edge at 45 deg to cut" Minor bruising of knuckles and torn nails during polishing

Photo 6+7- Young Redgum, mistake really - attempting to get walls and base as thin as possible when bottom cracked out - bugger! Reverse chucked bowl and cut out hole, replaced base with old Redgum. Modest bruising above left eye when reverse chucking failed.

Photo 8+9 - Hardest Redgum burly thing known to man, first attempt at lid. Learnt how to use hot glue gun to hold lid and thick CA to fill gaps. Got to use my new homemade scraper. No blood loss or bruising of note.
Thanks for looking and I welcome your comment and critique.
Bruce.

jefferson
9th June 2009, 03:53 PM
Bruce, I really like the last couple. You've certainly made progress in a short space of time. Keep at it and show us the next couple.

I assume you've worked out how to use the gouge by now? Must have going on the last few.

Jeff

Ad de Crom
9th June 2009, 04:27 PM
Bruce, had to laugh reading your whole story, but you're a brave man.
Everything you started with is difficult, it's like always, do it, and after a while you archieve your goal.
I'm impressed with your turnings, and more that you are able to make your own tools, big chappoo.
Keep em going :2tsup:
Ad

jackliveshere
9th June 2009, 04:33 PM
I don't know a great deal about turning yet being a beginner myself, but those bowls look pretty nice to me Bruce! Well done mate :2tsup:

artme
9th June 2009, 04:42 PM
Bruce, i don't know whether you are brave or crazy!! but the results ar great and you have certainly improved over time.Burls are hard work. Well done.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
You are your own best critic and it is good to see you know what to look for and therefore know where improvements can be made.

Your finishing is going nicely. Good luck in future.:):)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th June 2009, 04:50 PM
They certainly put my first attempts (with crapiata) to shame... :2tsup:

Ozkaban
9th June 2009, 05:22 PM
Wow, that's some beautiful work. I really like the redgum burl stuff, but I'm not game to touch it yet...

You've had some amazing progress in 9 months, though to be honest a woman can build a kid in the same time :q

Great work, and keep it coming!

Cheers,
Dave

Allan at Wallan
9th June 2009, 05:51 PM
Hi Bruce,

Very nice results and shows what can be done with
a little patience and inevitable mishaps along the way.

Let me know when you are next on the lathe as I don't
want my windscreen broken by a flying burl bowl.:D
P.S. Will be driving around Broken Hill/Silverton area
Saturday week.

Allan

wheelinround
9th June 2009, 06:27 PM
I have yet to turn a burl got a couple of bits here after seeing your great works of art then reading the story they can stay on the shelf :; a bit longer

Love the finish and they all look great

:aro-u: As for the old fella above hide when he's in town especially if he has his joke book with him :p

mickelmaster
9th June 2009, 06:31 PM
I actually really like the first bowl, mostly because of the wood but it looks great!

orraloon
9th June 2009, 06:39 PM
Some really nice work there Bruce. Way past where I was at 9 months.

tea lady
9th June 2009, 06:43 PM
Very nice series. And story. I coould do a line up like that, and it would be a very mottly looking lot.:rolleyes: Must try a burl. Looks like fun.:D

dai sensei
9th June 2009, 07:48 PM
For your first few turnings they have turned out Ok :2tsup:. You certainly started at the hard end of the scale using burls, but good on you for getting stuck in :U

joe greiner
9th June 2009, 11:09 PM
What they all said.

... You've had some amazing progress in 9 months, though to be honest a woman can build a kid in the same time.

But that's just the rough-turned blank.:D

Cheers,
Joe

Ed Reiss
10th June 2009, 12:15 PM
Bruce...your well on your way to the darkside, possibly already there :2tsup:

bellyup
12th June 2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys for the generous replies, you're very kind!
I didn't set out to do burls really, they're about as hard as any of the wood around here anyway. Dry burls are easier to come across than quality dry timber, Iv'e got a couple of years to wait before my stuff dries properly.
Thanks for looking,
Bruce.

Paul39
16th June 2009, 07:13 AM
Iv'e got a couple of years to wait before my stuff dries properly.
Thanks for looking,
Bruce.

Very nice bowls!

Rough out a piece of your damp wood two or three times the thickness of the final, slather it with a couple or three coats of boiled linseed oil, wrap in 4 to 6 layers of newspaper and let it sit for a couple of months in a warm place.

It will turn oval and twist a bit, remount and make it round again, oil & let sit another month. It should be ready to final shape, sand, and finish then.

You will be amazed how easily the dampish wood turns.

I have done the above to a piece of wild cherry root / stump two days out of the ground. To my amazement it did not crack all over the place. There was some radial cracking in the knots, but I wet sanded with tung oil and it filled in nicely.

bellyup
17th June 2009, 12:42 AM
G'day Paul,
Thanks for your comments.
I' ll give your idea a go.
It doesn't seem to matter whether the wood is green or dry - it's still bloody hard - very dense grain, but hey - I have fun! and your idea is a good one.
I / we have such interesting timber here (outback Aust), I'd love to share. If you would like to try some of our local stuff just let me know what your customs regs are and I'd be happy to post some stuff over - same goes for any of your compatriots should they be interested :)
Cheers,
Bruce.

Paul39
17th June 2009, 05:26 AM
Bruce,

Thanks for the timber offer.

Out of curiosity I found a timber supplier in West Au on eBay who had a hunk of she oak for $14.00, shipping to anywhere in Au. $9.60, shipping to USA $26.45.

As we have had several imported bugs that are devastating our forests, I think getting wood from overseas would be a pain.

I heat with solar and wood so I am always looking and collecting. I keep out interesting bits to see what is inside.

For now I'll stick to the domestic timber.

Paul