PDA

View Full Version : Further to the Dead Mango Tree

ElizaLeahy
10th June 2009, 01:14 PM
It's with considerable dismay that I am here to inform you of the passing of the dear dead mango tree next door from WHITE ANTS!!!!!!!

So, I guess we don't want it after all.

All that beautiful wood - eaten!!!

*sob*

They are cutting it down now as I write.

Sawdust Maker
10th June 2009, 01:20 PM
See if you can grab some anyway as the little buggers might have made some interesting patterns - for character in the side of your bowl etc

ElizaLeahy
10th June 2009, 01:21 PM
See if you can grab some anyway as the little buggers might have made some interesting patterns - for character in the side of your bowl etc

How do I stop them from eatting into other timber? What kills whiteants without wrecking the timber?

Sawdust Maker
10th June 2009, 01:37 PM
You might need to talk with the neighbours and put down baits - Share the cost etc. I had the littles buggers eating me shed - not happy. We baited them and no more little devils
You'll need a pest exterminator chappie

Ozkaban
10th June 2009, 01:38 PM
How do I stop them from eatting into other timber? What kills whiteants without wrecking the timber?

2000rpm on a lathe + a sharp skew :D:D:D

ElizaLeahy
10th June 2009, 01:50 PM
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

ElizaLeahy
10th June 2009, 03:29 PM
I'm so cranky. So much for them tossing a few over the fence. I even offered to pay (not that I had much money in the house)

He said, "No, I think I'll just toss them in the back of the truck. I'm not silly, I've seen these in shops for thousands."

So guys, I'm sorry. I tried.

I feel really bad now.

Paul39
10th June 2009, 03:47 PM

For future reference.

Small chunks, a minute or two in the microwave oven. Open & feel the wood after 30 seconds, repeat until very warm to the touch. Ease up on green wood slowly, too much too fast may make it split from steam.

Bigger chunks in a slow oven. Kiln drying.

I think there was a thread here earlier about killing bugs. I'm sure others will chime in.

munruben
10th June 2009, 03:57 PM
Microwaved termites, yummy:)

conwood
10th June 2009, 04:28 PM
Hi Eliza,
I have some mango un-eaten if you need some.
cheers
conwood

ElizaLeahy
10th June 2009, 04:32 PM
Thank you Con, but I was hoping to get good bits off this tree to give to YOU and all the other lovely folk who had given me timber!

:)

Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open. Now I'm cranky with myself that I didn't sneek out at 2am and pinch some of the jacaranda that had been cut down in the valley. The fact that it was near the police station and on a really busy road made me chicken out! heehee

Paul39
10th June 2009, 05:12 PM
If you are going to pinch something, Sunday morning about 11. All the good people are in church, all the bad people are asleep. :U

Around here any trees blown down, or trimmings, are cut to maximum of 4 feet and stacked at the side of the road to be picked up by the city.

Myself and quite a few folks heat partially or completely with wood, so it is the first one with the car, truck, wagon, wheelbarrow, first served.

I also like broken solid wood furniture set out on rubbish day. I have a lifetime supply of maple and oak bed posts for tool handles.

After a few stops to load timber, one develops a relaxed attitude about "what people think". I can now smile and wave at folks looking saucer eyed at me throwing wood out of a construction dumpster.

ElizaLeahy
10th June 2009, 05:22 PM
The boss man who said "no way, go away silly woman" left his henchmen to finish up... The main part of the tree.

The henchmen obviously felt sorry for the way he spoke to me - so I have wood!!!! And they have cold cans of coke.

I've called Beven to see if he will come and get it and sort it out, I'll see how much we have, if it's too much for Bev to prepare for us maybe some other Brisbanites will help? I'm hoping we have enough to share.

Pity we have to wait until it dries.

So far I have two big chunks with some small burly things on them :)

YAY! I feel better now.

ElizaLeahy
10th June 2009, 05:33 PM
If you are going to pinch something, Sunday morning about 11. All the good people are in church, all the bad people are asleep. :U

Around here any trees blown down, or trimmings, are cut to maximum of 4 feet and stacked at the side of the road to be picked up by the city.

Myself and quite a few folks heat partially or completely with wood, so it is the first one with the car, truck, wagon, wheelbarrow, first served.

I also like broken solid wood furniture set out on rubbish day. I have a lifetime supply of maple and oak bed posts for tool handles.

After a few stops to load timber, one develops a relaxed attitude about "what people think". I can now smile and wave at folks looking saucer eyed at me throwing wood out of a construction dumpster.

Unless I see the tree it's pretty certain that I might not recognise the timber until it's turned. A lot of furniture here is either teak or pine - and they are both dyed to look the same!!! I migth pass up a perfectly good piece of furniture timber because I'm assuming it's pine or something dyed.

I'm waiting for the roadside collection in our area and I'm going to take the car and go for a slow cruise :)

ElizaLeahy
10th June 2009, 05:44 PM
I went and gave them all a pen and they kept saying "That's awsome!"

awwww, now everyone is happy! :)

artme
10th June 2009, 05:55 PM

Stick it in the microwave and nuke 'em.

Find an Echindna.:D:D:D

artme
10th June 2009, 05:58 PM

Coke and a pen:? Far too generous.:p

new_guy90
10th June 2009, 08:00 PM
from sad beginnings to happy solutions reading these posts is like a sitcom lol good to hear ya got some of that timber you have been talking about it since you first started posting lol i cant wait for the next episode, the frustration and satisfaction of the turning and then auction where it will make you millions :2tsup: oh and some one has to die in it ..................oh the termites already did :D

happy turning

Allan at Wallan
10th June 2009, 08:52 PM

Ah ha!

You did the "right thing" and gave them a pen
- now with the pen they can do the "write thing".

Everybody wins.:2tsup:

Allan

yaryetnom
10th June 2009, 10:02 PM
Eliza,

You don't have to be to patient. Mango is very stable. I have turned a lidded vessel out of wet mango. I sprayed metho on it and lit it with a match which dried the outside enough to sand. I left the inside rough for a couple of years until I felt bad enough to remount & sand the inside.

That was about 7 years ago & the lid still fits.

Regards,
Ray

Sawdust Maker
10th June 2009, 10:35 PM
Eliza
not sure I'd be patronising to your good self (I don't like conflict)
so the foreman misses out on a cold coke and a pen to boot - more fool him.
One thing I've noted with these tree fellers is that they think you know what you want:
"You'll want this nice straight trunk bit!"
"No, I actually want the bit with the fork in it!
"why?"
"cause that bit might have the interesting curly grain etc." "but I'll take some of that straight trunky bit as well if that's ok." "and bytheway here's a couple of avocados (pens or whatever)"

you got a piccy of the haul

Paul39
11th June 2009, 02:53 AM
Wonderful happy ending!

90 % of folks are a decent sort, the 10% get almost all the publicity.

ElizaLeahy
11th June 2009, 01:58 PM
Mango burly bits!

Ed Reiss
12th June 2009, 12:09 PM
Good deal E ...now all you need is a chain saw, and a band saw to prep them :C:doh:

rotten_66
12th June 2009, 12:18 PM

Nice to see the timber and hear the story, good things do happen to good people, and it is amazing what a small gift from you meant to them.

Happy turning,

Ron

Enfield Guy
12th June 2009, 06:52 PM
In can probably come over to you on sunday if you like. I have some blanks to drop to you anyway. I've lost your number, but you have mine. I will be off the air from middayish sat till about middayish sunday.