tomod
11th June 2009, 11:33 AM
Notice of dates for the Perth Wood show is August 7th - 8th - 9th

Any one planning to be there?

Tom

HazzaB
11th June 2009, 12:32 PM
Hey There,

Hopefully I'll have a Tax Cheque to spend, I'll be there:2tsup::2tsup:, We are going to the Craft Fair the week before as well to spend Her Tax Cheque:C.

HazzaB

rod1949
11th June 2009, 12:53 PM
Yep I intend to go on the Saturday. Haven't yet determined what I'm in the market for but something will probably take my fancy on the day.

And probably catch up with fellow WWF's around lunchtime and speak dribble.

TP1
12th June 2009, 04:06 AM

Tom

definitely!! it'll be good to see a range of stuff in one place.

tomod
12th June 2009, 11:22 AM
Many people will make a decision on purchasing a router usually at show time Maybe their first and maybe adding another to their collection. The wood show is a great opportunity to address some of the problems with some routers and where better to have all your questions answered. If you are in the market for a router ask someone who has experience with the use of the router and find out what it is capable of doing. More importantly what it is capable of not doing. Not all routers are the same.
Tom

Fireguard
16th June 2009, 12:15 AM
I'm planning on going. Not going to have much to spend this year. I'm hoping my tax cheque will be here in time :cool::cool:

Mainly going to be looking a wood slices for making clocks and hopefully a chuck for my lathe.

But I'll definately be on the lookout for anything else that tickles my fancy. :2tsup:

Wongdai
16th June 2009, 12:49 AM
I'll be there. I will probably make an impulse purchase. :)

Meat Man
16th June 2009, 09:30 PM
I will be there on the Sunday as i work until Saturday afternoon and i hope to meet so of you , and maybe spend a little of my hard earned cash.:U

beer is good
26th June 2009, 01:25 AM
I am planning to buy a mitre saw at the Perth Wood Show, and to lust after a few other things I want...errr, sorry, that should be NEED. Could a group of us meet somewhere so we can put names to the faces? We would need to have a sign or something. :2tsup:

(One hour later edit) It just occurred to me that the owners of this wonderful, informative forum could provide us with T shirts, a VIP area, free beer, caviar, skimpy waitresses, gift vouchers to the Festool stand, ....:D

rod1949
26th June 2009, 10:04 AM
Could a group of us meet somewhere so we can put names to the faces? We would need to have a sign or something. :2tsup:

(One hour later edit) It just occurred to me that the owners of this wonderful, informative forum could provide us with T shirts, a VIP area, free beer, caviar, skimpy waitresses, gift vouchers to the Festool stand, ....:D

Members usually meet on the Saturday (some on Sunday) at around midday near the stairs just inside the enterance. Some of us have and wear this forums clothing in the black and yellow colours - I wear the shirt (once a year job). From there we usually grab some food and have a chat and dribble on.

HazzaB
26th June 2009, 11:31 AM
Hey There,

For us who don't have the 'Company Uniform' there is a ID card we can download and wear at the Wood Show, I'll have mine on and a Jack Daniels Hat on Sunday.

HazzaB

Gezawa
26th June 2009, 10:46 PM
Looking forward to going, hoping to watch a few demo's this year and pick up some bargins. I will wear the new Forum name badge in the hope of catching up with other wwf members.

Cheers Gerry

Meat Man
27th June 2009, 01:46 AM
Looking forward to going, hoping to watch a few demo's this year and pick up some bargins. I will wear the new Forum name badge in the hope of catching up with other wwf members.

Cheers Gerry
Hi Gerry what day are you planning to go

Gezawa
27th June 2009, 10:33 AM
Planning on being there Saturday and Sunday. That should give us enough time to take in some demos. Check out a few specials. Catch up other wwf members and fww members

Marginata
27th June 2009, 11:28 PM
I've been asked to do some demos during the show. What sort of demos do you think people would be interested in?

If there are any members that can't make the arranged time to meet on Saturday, make sure you come by and say hello at our stand. Unfortunately I'm at the show for three full days and only just get to glimpse the other stands:no:

Burnsy
27th June 2009, 11:33 PM
I've been asked to do some demos during the show. What sort of demos do you think people would be interested in?

Hi Dave, how you been? Holidays next week so will make sure I come spill some beer on the workshop floor with you.

I was hoping you who do sharpening again so I could drop all my chisel and plane blades off to Jay seeing he was complaining about sharpening the same chisels over and over last year:D

Wongdai
28th June 2009, 01:20 AM
I'll probably be there on a Sunday. I will wear a black and red cap with Wongdai on the back. :)

I'm hoping to pick up a Sheppach wet grinder for cheap.

Johncs
28th June 2009, 02:14 AM

Tom

I expect to be there at least one day. I don't have any purchases planned, I've just pruned my shopping list, but I'm interested in learning.

Marginata
28th June 2009, 05:25 PM
So what kind of things would people like to see at demonstration workshops?

tomod
29th June 2009, 01:50 PM

:no:

Good point.
Many demonstrators will present what they think would be of interest to members, and I am no exception. For many years I have tried to vary what I would present when doing my demonstrations and usually it is some of the New Routing Techniques I have developed over the year and this year will be no exception. But it would help if there were some recommendations from say members of the forum. We all like to see something new and like Marginata I will be there for three days and seldom get the time to visit round the show. We all like to see new tools and machinery and the new jigs and templates that have come on to the market, but if there were more demonstrations presenting the tools or jigs the show would be more interesting to attend.

Give some thought to "What you would like to see presented" and submit your requests. Last year I presented a video presentation, for two reasons, I was unable to do any practical demos. The first was I thought I could present more information and viewers could see more of what I was trying to do, I had spent three months in the preparation of the material at a less stressful pace, the other reason was I am getting too old to push a router for three days and you would only see a small section of what I had to offer.

Tom

Wooden Mechanic
30th June 2009, 07:38 PM
Going to be there, don't know what day.
Trying to get some money together, might purchase might not. Making a list, checking it twice.

Hey Dave, you could do a demo on the functions of a well made bench and the need for a well made workbench. How it benefits the user and the quality of the work, making it easier and simpler.

I will be looking for traditional methods of woodworking and traditional tools.

Harlan

Template Tom
1st July 2009, 05:46 PM
Lately I was given the opportunity to give my opinion on a new router soon to be released on the market. It has many good features added, not available on the original model. I have been trying it out for a month and I will be doing a video of it in action to give as a video demonstration at the show along with my other routers. So you may like to view it before you make your next or first purchase. I am in no way connected to the company producing the router but I was interested in giving my opinion of the new model.

Tom

Mike B
14th July 2009, 03:03 PM
Lately I was given the opportunity to give my opinion on a new router soon to be released on the market. It has many good features added, not available on the original model.
Tom

Sounds intriguing... :)

Looking forward to the wood show this year, got a few purchases I've been holding off on.

Has any sort of programme/schedule been released yet?

Ekim
14th July 2009, 04:23 PM
Template Tom,

I'm in the market for a new router, so I look forward to meeting you and getting your opinions on an appropriate router.

Is there any particular time/day that you will be at the Show?

Regards,
Mike

rod1949
14th July 2009, 04:39 PM
Has any sort of programme/schedule been released yet?

I think this http://www.trueblue-exhibitions.com.au/WAWoodShow.htm is about all at this stage.

tomod
14th July 2009, 05:12 PM
Template Tom,

I'm in the market for a new router, so I look forward to meeting you and getting your opinions on an appropriate router.

Is there any particular time/day that you will be at the Show?

Regards,
Mike
Mike

I will be there all three days and I can be located in the top floor, where I usually have my demonstration area. I am not sure if the new router will be available for sale at the show as I believe they are waiting for the delivery, hopefully it will be there on time. I will have one or maybe two for you and others to look at. I will also introduce some new routing techniques that I have been working on over the year. Some new material I have not displayed before and also a great number of other project material that you may have missed at the last show.

Do give me a visit and introduce yourself and if I can assist you in any way I will.

Tom

bookend
18th July 2009, 12:43 AM
I've just received my Wood Show brochure in the mail and the website at http://www.trueblue-exhibitions.com.au/WAWoodShow.htm has all the details too.

I'll probably be there Saturday and Sunday as there are a number of demonstrations I want to go to. See you there:2tsup::gossip:

tomod
29th July 2009, 01:51 PM
Mike

I will be there all three days and I can be located in the top floor, where I usually have my demonstration area. I am not sure if the new router will be available for sale at the show as I believe they are waiting for the delivery, hopefully it will be there on time. I will have one or maybe two for you and others to look at. I will also introduce some new routing techniques that I have been working on over the year. Some new material I have not displayed before and also a great number of other project material that you may have missed at the last show.

Do give me a visit and introduce yourself and if I can assist you in any way I will.

Tom
Mike

All my efforts to present some new routing techniques have come to a stop. I will be unable to make any presentations this year as I have been diagnose with a dose of the Shingles which will prevent me from introducing these techniques.
Tom

Ekim
29th July 2009, 07:59 PM
Tom
Thanks for message. Sorry to hear about the shingles.

No doubt we will catch up some day.

Regards,

Mike

TP1
29th July 2009, 11:56 PM
Mike

All my efforts to present some new routing techniques have come to a stop. I will be unable to make any presentations this year as I have been diagnose with a dose of the Shingles which will prevent me from introducing these techniques.
Tom

Ouch! I had the shingles a while back and I know what you are going through - it ain't pleasant! I'm sure your doctor has told you though that the condition can be triggered by stress or worry in some cases. Whether or not it is the case, its a good excuse to book a holiday, I reckon!

tomod
30th July 2009, 12:26 PM
Ouch! I had the shingles a while back and I know what you are going through - it ain't pleasant! I'm sure your doctor has told you though that the condition can be triggered by stress or worry in some cases. Whether or not it is the case, its a good excuse to book a holiday, I reckon!
You may be correct as we are just getting over a fire in the house some 12 weeks ago. I do not go out much as the shingles appeared on my face
Tom

tomod
30th July 2009, 12:29 PM
Tom
Thanks for message. Sorry to hear about the shingles.

No doubt we will catch up some day.

Regards,

Mike
Let's hope we will be able to share some routing experiences together. As you will know by now I am continually introducing New routing techniques with the use of the template guides
Tom

John Saxton
31st July 2009, 11:03 PM
Tom,Sorry to hear that you will not be at the local wood show(Perth) this year due to some health concerns.
I hope that you are on the mend soon and taking advantage of the sunshine day's of your years

I would have liked to have caught up with you again ..it has also been a trying year in my personal life so I can understand some of the tribulations that has given you cause for concern.

Get well soon..

Cheers:)

Fireguard
5th August 2009, 12:06 AM
It's almost show time..........
The minister of war and finances has Ok'd me getting a chuck, so bring on the weekend :2tsup::2tsup:

Wongdai
5th August 2009, 03:11 PM
I'm looking forward to it.

I'm going Saturday around lunch time. I will be wearing a black and red cap with Wongdai on the back if anyone wants to say hello. :)

Dommo
5th August 2009, 03:50 PM
I'm looking forward to it.

I'm going Saturday around lunch time. I will be wearing a black and red cap with Wongdai on the back if anyone wants to say hello. :)

i'll keep an eye out for you :1eye:- maybe see you there!!

tomod
5th August 2009, 04:15 PM
Let's hope we will be able to share some routing experiences together. As you will know by now I am continually introducing New routing techniques with the use of the template guides
Tom
Though unable to be present for the three days due to illness but I hope to be there on Saturday just to have a look around.

Hopefully Makita will be showing some of my DVD presentations on some of the new routing techniques I have developed so if you get a moment call at the Makita stand.
Tom

Ramps
8th August 2009, 01:48 AM
Hope to catch a few of you on Sunday.
I'll be in the black and gold WF shirt so don't be too shy to yell out.

Ramps
11th August 2009, 12:50 AM
Hi guys

The work was up to it's normal high standard. ... well done guys up the top

as for the trade displays ...

well it was the usual guys at the show however Timbecon had a pretty pathetic display:no: with only one rather large saw they looked like they were trying to get rid of. Like normal there was no H&F display ... don't think they know what they're missing out on:q. Carbatec and PTMS had good displays ... well done guys. Was a little disappointed with the range of saws coming out of Jet at the moment (no offence PTMS)

... and Yes Larry ... Carbatec won my business and I picked up a CTH-110L (http://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery-for-wood-and-metal-working/table-saws/cabinet-saws/carba-tec-10-hd-left-tilt-saw-bench-cth-110l)... left tilt 10 HD as they were the only ones there that had a variety yo view and play with and someone who actually knew the products ... well done carbatec ... and with a fantastic transport rate they're going to drop it (not too hard I hope) on the shed floor sometime this week, thank goodness for that ... at 280kg!!! ... waiting ... waiting:C
http://www.carbatec.com.au/images/hires/CTH-110L.jpg

Mike B
11th August 2009, 03:56 PM
I agree with regards to the displays. Timbecon really should just change their name to Turnecon as woodturning seems to be what they are really interested in. Their stall looked just tired to me.

Hare&Forbes really need to pull their head out. Either they don't have anyone in their Perth branch with an interest in woodwork or they just don’t care. Either way I can see myself taking a risk on their woodworking machinery if they can’t make the effort to attend.

PTMS, Carbatec and Beyond Tools made a good effort and had some good prices too. I still feel Beyond Tools expansion is getting beyond a joke. Nice guys and I've spent a lot of cash there before but really, how many different products can you sell and still understand/support them all properly?!

As always I also enjoyed listening to Richard Vaughan and some of the other demos were very good.

Marginata
11th August 2009, 10:37 PM
Very very busy show for us.

It was great to catch up with a couple of forumites. H&F would probably love to be at the show but in their defence I believe that they may be strugling with a very difficult restraint of trade issue due to another supplier in Perth holding the agency for WA.

Highlights: Some fantastic work on display and a couple of our younger customers taking out 1st prizes in the Out of The Woods competition.:2tsup:

Funny: Having to look after Chris Vesper's stand every time the poor bloke needed a break:U

Ramps
12th August 2009, 12:40 AM
good on ya Marginata

Yeah I agree with the work on display :2tsup:

And to "be" chris for even a moment ... beyond me:U

Johncs
12th August 2009, 12:52 AM
. Their stall looked just tired to me.

Hare&Forbes really need to pull their head out. Either they don't have anyone in their Perth branch with an interest in woodwork or they just don’t care. Either way I can see myself taking a risk on their woodworking machinery if they can’t make the effort to attend.

I saw a few machines at the Timbecon stand. I was amazed at how rusty they all looked.

The H&F shop in Welshpool doesn't really sell much woodworking stuff, its kit is handled by Fiora Machinery. H&F's shop has mostly metalworking equipment.

I saw the new(ish) Makita SP6000 saw - the one similar to the festool one, just before someone bought it. The new router Tom's been talking about was not there, and probably won't be on sale in Oz until about December. It replaces the 3612 and 3612C. Makita, I'm told, can't buy enough to get a good price until it has warehouse space to store them, and the old routers are occupying the space.

Maybe I should have offered to store some:)

Mike B
12th August 2009, 11:28 AM
The H&F shop in Welshpool doesn't really sell much woodworking stuff, its kit is handled by Fiora Machinery.

I think thats a big part of the problem... I never get the impression Fiora wants to sell much woodworking stuff either! :rolleyes:

tomod
12th August 2009, 09:24 PM
Tom,Sorry to hear that you will not be at the local wood show(Perth) this year due to some health concerns.
I hope that you are on the mend soon and taking advantage of the sunshine day's of your years

I would have liked to have caught up with you again ..it has also been a trying year in my personal life so I can understand some of the tribulations that has given you cause for concern.

Get well soon..

John
Give me a call next time youre up in Perth
Tom

Lignum
12th August 2009, 09:37 PM
Sounds like it was a great show.:) Where are all the pics:? Out of the woods is a great comp, we have nothing like it here:(

BobL
13th August 2009, 04:20 AM
I think thats a big part of the problem... I never get the impression Fiora wants to sell much woodworking stuff either! :rolleyes:

That was exactly my experience when I visited last year looking for a bandsaw. I walked out after asking for help and being told all the help and advice I was going to get was on a greasy brochure tied to the BS. I went and bought a Carbatec BS.

TP1
13th August 2009, 04:54 AM
That was exactly my experience when I visited last year looking for a bandsaw. I walked out after asking for help and being told all the help and advice I was going to get was on a greasy brochure tied to the BS. I went and bought a Carbatec BS.

I made the mistake of visiting Fiora machinery as well, A very frustrating experience. The way they present (not) the very limited range of woodworking machinery indicates they don't give a rats about woodworking and quite frankly I am amazed that H&F put up with them. The person I spoke to possessed the machinery knowledge of a Bunnings cash register operator, but without their customary "have a nice day" as I left in disgust.

Larry M
13th August 2009, 07:33 PM
Well done Ramps. Looks like a beauty. Even better than that other "cheap" one

Regards

Larry

John Saxton
13th August 2009, 08:21 PM
John
Give me a call next time youre up in Perth
Tom

Cheers Tom, Hope that you're OK and well in body & spirit.

Look forward to catching up sometime.

John Saxton
13th August 2009, 08:27 PM

Once upon a time(sounds like a fairy tale,maybe it is) they were good to deal with in regards to any WW machinery.

Somehow I think they have lost their way with WW and that their selling medium tends more to the metalworking side of the equation.

They used to be good to bounce competitive quotes off.

John Saxton
13th August 2009, 08:57 PM
The standard of the work entered in the Out of the woods competition was very high particularly amidst our younger members of the WW community.

Very impressive indeed,this is where I do like the Perth Show it offers up a lot of space for display purposes and encourages the various schools to contribute offerings from their students year 12 etc.

From the standard of the work that was shown I can only surmise that the WW future is in good health if those contributers continue on in with the high standard imparted here.

Richard Vaughan was as expected filling all the seats, that obiously gave credence to the various array of talks on tools,uses and applications well done Richard.

The Fine WW Society had some great input in their discussions on Veneering amongst other topics thet I found interesting and as always it is without a doubt that that herein is the epitome of WW in W.A. much in evidence is the expertise selflessly passed on as with the contribution to the posers given a pat on the back to them.

The Historical Old Tool Society as was usual put on a large display that gives a lot of pleasure veiwing as well as a stand of tools for sale that was always chocka with folk looking for that one tool to fill an empty spot in the shed.
Had a bit of a chat with Tony the secretary ,interesting overview of the society.

The selling stands were pretty much as expected with the sprukas very much in attendance.I guess they fill a need as they seem to draw a constant crowd.

Personally with the selling stands I go to see what if anything is different or improved ,my only problem is that I cut loose more than I intended to so will have to watch the budget if going onto Melbourne as I intend to.
Purchases were 3 base wheel trolleys for all my Festool Systainers as well as Drill set Systainer,a 7 TPI Rip saw and a 12TPI crosscut panel saw from Lie Nielsen not to mention a pack of 4 Auriou needle rifflers from them as well.

Overall this was'nt too bad ,but tell that to my bank.:D:D:D

beer is good
19th August 2009, 01:52 PM
I took a few pics of this year's show at the Claremont Showgrounds as evidence - just in case my other half thought that I had spent the day in the pub while pretending to be at the Woodshow. It didn't occur to me that other woodies might be interested in seeing them. The quality is not the best but it should give in idea of what it's like. I was hugely impressed by the quality of the furniture on display - brilliant stuff. Not so impressed by the quality of the food prices, $4 for a cup of coffee!!!

Rob_D
29th October 2009, 03:35 AM
I am trying to find out the contact details for the people who displayed the restored and partly restored wooden trucks that where in the corner of the main pavilion. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Robhttp://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f135/114077d1250650319-perth-wood-show-08082009.jpg
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/user/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

John Saxton
29th October 2009, 09:40 PM
I am trying to find out the contact details for the people who displayed the restored and partly restored wooden trucks that where in the corner of the main pavilion. Can anyone help?
Thanks Rob

All I can suggest Rob is contact the show organisers who may steer you in the right direction,try here.

2009 WA Woodshow Friday 7th - Sunday 9th August (http://www.trueblue-exhibitions.com.au/WAWoodShow.htm) or here Email to: [email protected]

HazzaB
29th October 2009, 09:53 PM
Hey Rob,

The Pic you posted is the back of my BIL's Graham Bros truck, if you pm me I can pass on his details and you can contact him, The timber is recyled from the floor boards from an old house down here in Mandurah, the chasis come from the Snowy Mountains in NSW, it took years to make " a heap of Rusty steel bits" (Her words, SIL) to become a usable Truck, it regularly does a run round town and up to Perth.

HazzaB