PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Oak Extension Table Top Restoration

wotton28
12th June 2009, 10:34 AM
Hi there, I have recently acquired an oak two leaf extension table. If the pictures attach ok - you can see (well hopefully) that it is in pretty good condition except for the the surface of the table top - particularly one side. I have not tested yet to determine whether finish is varnish/lacquer etc - maybe Im too risk averse (lol). Given my lack of knowledge on the subject of finishing (hopefully only temporary) - I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice/tips on how to restore/refinish the table top - I really would prefer not to remove the original finish unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks

Structural
10th August 2009, 07:18 PM
I think you will have to redo it, but I would get a second opinion.

swagman-2000
15th August 2009, 08:22 PM
Hi, it looks tired .i agree it need to be redone.it will come up a treat

hap97
16th August 2009, 06:40 PM
Completely sand the top with 80 then 120 grit abrasive.
If purchasing a sander look at the random orbital sanders, they are a good general purpose sander.
Link to Bosch sander (http://www.bosch-do-it.com.au/boptocs2-au/Product.jsp;jsessionid=2C135BF16DF1AEECC96490A265D7AE0F.worker1?country=AU&lang=en&division=hw&ccat_id=95255&object_id=5983)

Then finish the top with a stain to match the legs.
The legs could be lightly sanded then use the same stain and finish all with a polyurethane finish.
(Either Estapol or Feast Watson Satinproof)

spectre
22nd August 2009, 09:52 PM
I'll throw the spanner in the works, have to agree with the appraisal it looks sad. However if you try wetting it down with some turps how much of the damage seems to disappear? If a significant amount does, then you could rub something like some penetrol into, which will help bind up the damaged finish give it a light sand and then recoat it. Got nothing to lose save a full bore restoration :)