PDA

View Full Version : Machine screws for router base

jw2170
12th June 2009, 12:33 PM
I am going to start making some jigs for my routers and would like a source for the machine screws to attach the jigs to the router base (circle jig, tramel etc).

I would need some longer screw to go through the 12mm bases.

I had the address of a supplier in Sydney that would sell in $10 lots, but have lost the details. :doh:

Any suggestions, please.

James

graemet
12th June 2009, 05:16 PM
I am going to start making some jigs for my routers and would like a source for the machine screws to attach the jigs to the router base (circle jig, tramel etc).

I would need some longer screw to go through the 12mm bases.

I had the address of a supplier in Sydney that would sell in $10 lots, but have lost the details. :doh:

Any suggestions, please.

James
You shouldn't have to buy $10 worth at a time. If you know what thread it is, ie. metric, BSW or UNF or whatever, any Repco or Supercheap Auto would probably have what you want (or even Bunnies). If you DON'T know what you want, go to Lee Brothers in Dunlop Street, North Parramatta, there isn't a thread they can't match in brass, stainless, hightensile or mild steel. They will sell you 1 screw or 1000! Also taps and dies to match in carbon or HSS. Great people to deal with.
Cheers
Graeme

rayintheuk
12th June 2009, 07:59 PM
Precision Technology Supplies, Ltd.,
The Birches Industrial Estate,
Imberhorne Lane,
East Grinstead,
West Sussex,
RH19 1XZ.

Tel: 01342 410758
Fax: 01342 311464

e-mail: [email protected]

Web: www.pts-uk.com

LN 0.086 Stock Code U799114201000 ¼-20 x 1 Countersunk (Allen Key) A2 Stainless

LN 0.067 Stock Code U798514200750 ¼-20 x ¾ Philips Pan-head A2 Stainless

LN 0.073 Stock Code U96514201000 ¼-20 x 1 Philips Countersunk A2 Stainless

If they won't mail them, they're just a few miles from me, so I'll pop over, get them and mail them on.

Ray

bsrlee
12th June 2009, 08:16 PM
Coventry Fasteners - have branches all over the place in industrial areas around Sydney. They will sell you one bolt or a box full - most people go there to buy replacement screws & only buy a few at a time so they are used to it.

Squirrel
12th June 2009, 08:54 PM
If you DON'T know what you want, go to Lee Brothers in Dunlop Street, North Parramatta, there isn't a thread they can't match in brass, stainless, hightensile or mild steel. They will sell you 1 screw or 1000! Also taps and dies to match in carbon or HSS. Great people to deal with.
Cheers
Graeme

I am a regular visitor to Lee Bros, to buy stuff or just looking. Great supply of nuts and bolts.

Squirrel

jw2170
14th June 2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Coventry Fasteners was the one I had in mind, but as I work at Pennant Hills, I will try Lee Bros next week. Coventry are at Wetherill Park...

Apologies, Ray, I should have said I was in Sydney ,NSW.... I have this on my tag in another forum and forgot to make this clear..Thanks for the offer.

James

rayintheuk
14th June 2009, 02:31 AM
Apologies, Ray, I should have said I was in Sydney ,NSW....
No apology necessary, James! I knew where you are and the offer stands. :)

Ray

jw2170
29th June 2009, 08:55 PM
You shouldn't have to buy $10 worth at a time. If you know what thread it is, ie. metric, BSW or UNF or whatever, any Repco or Supercheap Auto would probably have what you want (or even Bunnies). If you DON'T know what you want, go to Lee Brothers in Dunlop Street, North Parramatta, there isn't a thread they can't match in brass, stainless, hightensile or mild steel. They will sell you 1 screw or 1000! Also taps and dies to match in carbon or HSS. Great people to deal with.
Cheers
Graeme

Thanks Graeme,

I called in at Lee Bros this morning on the way to work.
I had some screws from the base of my 3 routers as samples.
The older (I am 62) gentleman there had no trouble matching them at the lengths I wanted

18 various screws cost only $5.50. :U

James

Johncs
30th June 2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks Graeme,

I called in at Lee Bros this morning on the way to work.
I had some screws from the base of my 3 routers as samples.
The older (I am 62) gentleman there had no trouble matching them at the lengths I wanted

18 various screws cost only $5.50. :U

James

For anyone else looking for odd screws, I wanted some longer screws for my router base. I went to Bunny's (closest), found what size they are (1/4"? I thought Australian tools were metric by now). Bunny didn't have them. Went to Coventry which isn't far. None there, suggested Rudd Industrial. Got them there, and they have lots of other fine toys. I bought a second pair of ear muffs there.

Tex B
30th June 2009, 12:35 AM
I ended up tapping mine out to a larger (and more common) size. For some reason the router base screws were difficult to find (as you've described) but the metal base was fairly soft and tapping out was pretty easy.

Tex