PDA

View Full Version : VL300 maintenance

jefferson
12th June 2009, 01:31 PM
I've been following another lathe maintenance thread which I didn't want to hijack.

Now that I've actually started to use mine, I'm wondering what I should be doing in terms of maintenance. (I've lost the Vicmarc manual somewhere).

The VL seems to be pretty much dust and fool proof at the headstock end? And all the electrics are under cover, so I can't see too much is needed, right?

All I've done to date has been to use WD40 to remove some surface rust on the bed after leaving wet shavings on it overnight.

Is there anything else I should be checking? The machine is running great and hope it stays that way.

stalled it once when being a little too aggressive (belt was admittedly on the 3000 rpm ratio) which gave me a little heart twitch, but otherwise, all is well.

thanks in advance

Jeff

rsser
13th June 2009, 08:44 AM
Just a bit of light oil over all bare metal parts would help Jeff, inc undersides of tailstock and banjo, banjo rod etc. On the bed remember the bare sides of the slot and the undersides where the clamp plate clamps.

Run your pinkie in and out of the MTs occasionally to feel if there's any crud build-up.