PDA

View Full Version : Needs some help deciding.

scorpio_oz
13th June 2009, 12:52 AM
Hi,

I know this subject has been covered before, and I have been reading back through some of the other threads.

I am looking to purchase a lathe for my daughter and myself to use. She has started doing some turning at school and I have been wanting to try some wood turning.We both did some at Tim Skiltons workshop at the recent wood show and enjoyed that. We have rigged up a small pen turning lathe that uses an electric drill and thats going surprisingly OK.

I am thinking that there are only so many pens that we can turn before we want to try something else.

I am looking to buy a new lathe, and at this stage have narrowed it down to the following three.

Hafco WL-18
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W382

Woodfast M305 Midi Lathe
http://cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107146613&product_id=1107452489

JET 1220 Midi Lathe
http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136770&product_id=1107442134

Basically from my understanding the WL-18 has the advantage that it has a longer bed, the swing over bed is the same as the others but the headstock can rotate, but with a minimum speed of 500, is this still too fast if you are turning something large, especially if it may be starting out a little out of round? And are the extras such as the bowl turning attachment something that will get used much?

The other two look to be better quality than the Hafco, one has a slightly longer bed length than the other, but both can have bed extensions fitted. Am I going to wish into the future that I had a rotating headstock? How much do people who have one use it? I know, its probably the case that even if you only want to use it once a year, at least you can. The speeds are slower than 500 on the smaller lathes so the speed range seems better.

If there is another brand or model that someone might recommend that I put on the list, please let me know.

Prices for these are within my budget, I know there are better lathes out there and as with anything, you get what you pay for. I'm trying to stay within a reasonable budget, but would prefer to make an informed decision first time around and not be looking to purchase again because of a bad decision.

Have been looking around for something second hand, but haven't seen anything that I think is suitable. Also, as my experience for picking what might be a problem on a second hand lathe is limited, I'm thinking new with warranty might be a good idea.

I already have a new 6 piece HSS tool set, so I don't have to shell out for tools, just lathe and accessories.

I am open to feedback from anyone who owns one of these lathes, or has an opinion that might help my decision.

Thanks
-Gavin

watsrags
13th June 2009, 02:02 AM
I got mine a couple of months ago I love it ,it was the first lathe I ever brought.
Yes it only has a 16 inch bed but if needed you can buy a extension 24" http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_5 I would think that Carrolls would either stock it or get it for you. I don't however plan on buying it as the very few times I might use it I would just use a lathe with a longer bed at my Woodies Club. You can turn a bowl up to 12" on the M305 , thats a big bowl. The quality of the build of my M305 is great. Its very easy to change the belt for higher or lower speed. I found the Jet 1220 not so simple to move the belt from one speed to another.
I am happy to tell people that I love my Woodfast M305

I am not employed or associated with any business that make or sell woodlathes<style> /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-0cm; line-115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-115%;} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-0cm; line-115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th June 2009, 03:31 AM
Hafco WL-18
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W382

This is of the MC-900 family. Almost any post in these forums mentioning MC-900s will apply to this lathe too. There are differences between different brands of MC-900s in terms of finish & quality of motors, parts, etc. but you get what you pay for.

I think of these as the best full-sized lathe for a beginner... good enough that it's shortcomings don't "put off" a beginner (unlike cheaper ones, such as GMCs :p) and cheap enough not to hurt too long that if the person decides that turning isn't their "thing."

A serious turner will soon finds it's limits... but will also learn work-arounds. It's an educational experience. :wink:

Basically from my understanding the WL-18 has the advantage that it has a longer bed, the swing over bed is the same as the others but the headstock can rotate, but with a minimum speed of 500, is this still too fast if you are turning something large, especially if it may be starting out a little out of round?

A little bit out of round won't be a problem, it simply means that you need to pre-balance your blanks better. Which is something that should be done anyway... unless you have a mega-buck lathe which needs a forklift to move. (And it's still true then, it's just the lathe is more forgiving - it won't chase you across the room - if you don't.)

So, the bottom RPM I wouldn't stress too much about.

And are the extras such as the bowl turning attachment something that will get used much?

Only when you're turning in outboard mode. If you do a lot of that, then you use it a lot. If you turn mainly with the lathe in "spindle" mode, then it's a dust-collector... but it does give you the option. :shrug: (And it's one of the first things you'll probably modify if you use it a lot, too... :rolleyes:)

Am I going to wish into the future that I had a rotating headstock?

Possibly. But if you're the sort of person who gets hooked on the big stuff and needs to turn in outboard mode most of the time, then even if you bought an MC-900 the odds are very, very good that you'll be wishing you'd bought a bigger, better lathe.

That's just how life is. :D

FWIW, I have two of the MC-900 type lathes, and a pair of the JET types midis. (Leda brand.)

The majority of my work is done on the MC-900s, although personally I don't use outboard mode very often. When it comes to turning smaller pieces, such as pens, etc. I prefer to use my little Ledas. Sometimes it's nice to be able to sit while you turn. :)

Really, it's hard to recommend one over the other - they all have their good points. The real decision maker is: "what do you think you'll be turning 12 months from now?"

It's a hard question to answer. The little Midis are nice & compact, taking up little shed space. perfect for spindle work, goblets, small bowls, pens, etc. But if you think you'll be turning bigger stuff (12" is only "middling," a simple platter is more like 16"-18") then the MC-900 would be the way to go.

Dodgyboy
13th June 2009, 07:01 PM
I have the Hafco lathe and find the variable speed works great because you get sick of changing belts all the time.

jefferson
13th June 2009, 07:30 PM
I do find variable speed an almost "must-have" item on a lathe. Just being able to turn the speed up or down to get a piece into balance is great. And sometimes, a little faster can be better.

Some, of course, run the lathe at one speed only. Fast. No names mentioned, but I think a few will know who I'm talking about.

Last time the bugger was up he got me to cut a pine bowl so thin that the remains are still up high near the roof and there's a dent in the roof insulation.

My preferences for a lathe start with: VS, cam lock banjos and a handy stop button / bar. I just wish I had one of the little magnetic boxes for my VL300 that you can put anywhere.

Jeff

orificiam
13th June 2009, 08:34 PM
I also have the Hafco Lathe and am very happy with it.
Cheers Tony.:)

hughie
13th June 2009, 08:36 PM
I think Skew pretty well sumed it up for you, you need to give some thought to what your going to turn in the future, abit hard now that your just starting out.

But there is help, get along to your local woodturning club. Spend time with the guys there, if you join then you can use the lathes and get tution to boot for free, plus all sorts of other mentoring as well. From all this you will be able to predict or see what tickles your fancy etc and the lathe decision will be very easy.

If that fails, well, go for the greatest versatility you can get for your money in a lathe. This will hedge your bets so to speak. The lathe that can turn a 14" platter should be able to turn out pens as well so dont get hooked up on one aspect of turning or another at this stage.

Incidently the smallest cost is all ways the cost of the lathe, you will over time greatly surpass the price of your lathe many times over. The only difference is you will do it "inch by inch" so to speak.

Tim the Timber Turner
14th June 2009, 01:43 PM
G'day Gavin

I'm glad you and your daughter enjoyed "Come and Try"

Sorry I can't remember which father and daughter combination you were. There were a couple.

For what it’s worth my local club just purchased 2 x Woodfast 305.

There is a fairly solid adjustable stand available.

The belt change is dead easy. There is enough stretch in the belt that you don’t have to move the motor to change speed.

Not a good as electronic speed control but not as much money either.

360 rpm minimum speed.

Available locally at Carba-tec.

If the budget will stretch a bit further, the Jet 12-20 variable speed would be a good choice.

Top of range would include a Vicmarc which you used at the show.

What ever your decision, make sure you set the lathe up with the spindle at your elbow hight or a touch above.
You may need a step-up to bring your daughter up to the right hight.

Enjoy your woodturning; it can be a great common interest for family members.
I have had a great journey with my own son through woodturning.

Cheers

Tim:)