PDA

View Full Version : Maple bowl

Ad de Crom
14th June 2009, 08:51 PM
First on Jeff's request, my way of turning a bowl.
1) rough turning from a wet log (bark already removed) till the rough turned bowl.
Put the rough turned bowl into a paper bag for drying for several weeks.

2) After 4 weeks the bowl lost 20% of his moisture, so back on the lathe for finishing.

The endresult after bringing up three layers blanc transparent lacquer, a maple bowl with the DxH dimensions 220mm x 190mm. Wallthickness 10mm.
In according with the design for 90%.
Cheers. Ad

GoGuppy
14th June 2009, 09:11 PM
Hi Ad

Thanks for sharing your methodolgy for making a hollow vessel with us and what a beauty it "turned" out to be...:2tsup:

I am still a novice in turning and have yet try making anything like your example, but I will get there someday (soon hopefully..:;). Can you tell me, the hollowing support system you use, is that a commercial model, or one you made yourself?

Met vriendelijke groeten
Peter

Ad de Crom
14th June 2009, 09:50 PM
Hi Ad

Thanks for sharing your methodolgy for making a hollow vessel with us and what a beauty it "turned" out to be...:2tsup:

I am still a novice in turning and have yet try making anything like your example, but I will get there someday (soon hopefully..:;). Can you tell me, the hollowing support system you use, is that a commercial model, or one you made yourself?

Met vriendelijke groeten
Peter

Peter, it's selfmade. A couple of 20mm tubes, parts of an old bike, and some handywork. Works great.
Ad

Ed Reiss
15th June 2009, 11:49 AM
Good WIP Ad :2tsup: ...but I have a question, why is your shop so damn clean !? :o:D

artme
15th June 2009, 02:29 PM
Wonderfully clear and concise WIP Ad.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Like the vase !!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

jefferson
15th June 2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the pictorial instruction Ad. And very nice. Again.

Jeff

Ad de Crom
15th June 2009, 04:57 PM
Good WIP Ad :2tsup: ...but I have a question, why is your shop so damn clean !? :o:D
Ed, listen to what I have to tell, I blamed my wife for that, she's watching me all the time, she told me, what people have to think about you, when you are standing kneedeep into the shavings :o and seeing all that terrable mess you are making, so be a good boy, and do some vacuum cleaning before you take a picture. I'm happely married, and like it to keep it that way, I don''t like it to get a punishment of her when I don't listen :no: You get the message??
Cheers. Ad :2tsup:

jefferson
15th June 2009, 05:33 PM
Ad, I sure know where you are coming from.

and I had plans to isolate my turning space in the shed (to keep the dust under control mainly). His missus and mine decided otherwise. She doesn't say NO too often but when she does..... I do as told!

Keep the posts and pics coming, I really like your work.

Jeff

orraloon
15th June 2009, 06:46 PM
Ad,
Really nice hollow form and I think your hollowing rig has got me planning something.
Also got my eye on next doors maple tree. Sure looks to me like it needs a trim.
Regards
John

bowl-basher
15th June 2009, 07:10 PM
Top work as usual Ad ... I envy you som of the nice timbers that you have they are so diffrent to ours all that Spalted Elder and the other timbers I saw in UK and Europe.... most of our "pretty" wood is so hard you almost need a metal lathe
Keep the posts coming old friend we do love to see your work
Best regards
Graham
Bowl-Basher

artme
15th June 2009, 08:19 PM
Ed, listen to what I have to tell, I blamed my wife for that, she's watching me all the time, she told me, what people have to think about you, when you are standing kneedeep into the shavings :o and seeing all that terrable mess you are making, so be a good boy, and do some vacuum cleaning before you take a picture. I'm happely married, and like it to keep it that way, I don''t like it to get a punishment of her when I don't listen :no: You get the message??

Yair, women are like that. Refer SWMBO to the Code.

jefferson
15th June 2009, 08:26 PM
Ad,
Really nice hollow form and I think your hollowing rig has got me planning something.
Also got my eye on next doors maple tree. Sure looks to me like it needs a trim.
Regards
John

John, in an otherwise dreary day (the house re-stumping guys are here and are digging, pounding all day long), your trimming remark really made me smile. Promise to do it again sometime soon.

Jeff

Ed Reiss
16th June 2009, 12:29 PM

...didn't think it was your idea :doh::D:D:D

Gil Jones
16th June 2009, 02:44 PM
Hi Ad,
Another very fine piece you have created!!
:2tsup:

Ad de Crom
16th June 2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks to all of you guys, first for looking, and second for the nice comments.
My lathe is running again as it is hard for me to sit still.
Ad :2tsup:

Ruddy
16th June 2009, 08:21 PM
Nice work Ad.
Keep them coming..
Ruddy

jefferson
16th June 2009, 09:08 PM
Good on you Ad. Your post brought a second smile to my face being on the forum today. I don't know what the rules are about sending wood OS, but I'd like to send you over a lump of Oz timber and see what you come up with. At my cost, so don't worry.

Anyone got any knowledge on the export rules?

Jeff

Ad de Crom
17th June 2009, 07:44 AM
Good on you Ad. Your post brought a second smile to my face being on the forum today. I don't know what the rules are about sending wood OS, but I'd like to send you over a lump of Oz timber and see what you come up with. At my cost, so don't worry.

Anyone got any knowledge on the export rules?

Jeff
Jeff, you're a hell of a guy, your offer is very generous, but I'm afraid it will cost you a small fortune to get a lump of Oz timber oversea all the way to Holland.
If I want I can get Aussie wood like Jarrah and Karri by the ''Arnhem finewood'' or the ''Amsterdam finewood''. And I hope that I'm able to knock on your frontdoor when we decide that the time is right to jump in a plane to make our roundtrip to Down Under.
Buy me than a good cold Aussie beer, for sure I'll buy you a beer in return, or more, depends how it taste
O B Obrian from Texas USA send me 5 years ago a package with manuals by post and only that small package cost him 25$ to get it to my place, just to let you know how expensive it is.
Your old friend from Holland Ad :2tsup:

GoGuppy
17th June 2009, 09:08 AM
Hi Ad

Great set up for the hollowing tool support.. self made, well, you must be multi talented! :2tsup:
Hey Jeff, most people here are concerned about importing wood to Oz and, as you probably know, strict quarantine rules apply, unless a certificate of compliance can be provided from the source. With regard to exporting, I am not aware of the Dutch import rules, but suspect that if a certificate accompanies the blank, stating it has been fumigated, it should be OK.
Cheers

jefferson
17th June 2009, 10:03 AM
Alright, the export idea doesn't sound like a good one.

But Ad, if you decide to visit I'm sure you'll find a spare "turner's bed" just about anywhere in Oz. Lucky you decided not to come here this week. The re-stumping guys have the jack hammers out and are driving me insane.

Jeff