PDA

View Full Version : Glue expert?

Woody60
15th June 2009, 10:19 AM
Who is the glue expert I should talk to?
I'm not wanting a run down on well under these conditions .... and .... Just tell me what to buy and why.

Wanting recommendations for:
1. a general purpose woodworking glue?
2. a very good glue for making dining chairs?
3. a glue for a Wooden Spa tub - considerations: Thinking I will run a hardwood tongue the whole length of the board for each join for Hoop Pine boards (40mm) / Water present / temp not above 50C / plus the pulsating action of the "spa"
Thoughts please and recommendations

Do we have a "glue sponsor" of the Forum?
Thanks

rrobor
15th June 2009, 12:43 PM
Having played with glues to try on a variety of woods my recomendations are . For general wood Aquadere is ok. For your chairs I would go upmarket a bit to a yellowglue, my choice is Weldbond. And for your spa Id use Selleys 308 a two part mix glue, thats guaranteed to hold your spa together regardles of the hi jinks you may get up to in it.

Woody60
15th June 2009, 12:48 PM
Rrobor
Thanks
Yes I'm familiar with 308 - many years ago I made a small tender boat with it. Just gave the leftovers away - it must be over 20 years old.
The dark red line might even look good against the Pine

What is "a yellow glue" that it comes in different varieties?
Thanks
R

AlexS
15th June 2009, 07:05 PM
What is "a yellow glue" that it comes in different varieties?
Thanks
R
Titebond I or II, Weldbond, AV180 - aliphatic PVAs.

old pete
15th June 2009, 07:33 PM
Hi Woody 60,

That's an easy one. You need only two glues on your shelf to cover your range of applications.

For ordinary joinery applications that do not demand a long open time to assemble the parts use a high quality cross linked PVA . I use Bostik AV 180 which also works well with glueing MDF which has a wax coating on the surface. Generically AV 180 comes from the family of PVA 'yellow glues'. There's a fair few on the market.

For very challenging and for marine applications you can't do better than use a two pack epoxy. I use International paints product called Epi Glue. West system is very similiar. This is a true marine glue. It also has the wonderful advantage of having a very long open time and is therefore ideal for glueing up major projects single handed such as large chests of drawers and sideboards. There are two hardeners available for this glue: fast and slow. Choose the one best suited to the climate in your area.Don't use the same mixing pot when you come to making up a second batch in the same session as the part cured glue has a marked catalyising effect on making the second lot go off quite quickly. Make sure you measure the two parts accurately when mixing. I use wine bottle caps as the measuring cups as I seem to have a ready supply of those around the house most of the time and I know how I can quickly get a re-supply if necessary.

If you are not using a lot of glue just cut your losses and go for Epi glue for everything. It's expensive but glue costs are diddly squat in the scheme of things.

Cheers Old Pete