PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood Platter - texture edge - Yes or No

Calm
17th June 2009, 12:45 AM
Hi i finished a platter today that i started last Friday when i was home.

I based it loosely on a design used by Tim the Timber turner for his entry in the Charity Challenge. ( hope you dont mind Tim) it is 420 mm diameter and about 35 mm high, it has a flat base 165mm across and the rim is 35 mm wide leaning inwards slightly.

I am not sure that i like the rim/edge/flat bit around the top. Sometimes i think it looks bare and need something to lift it, then other times i think it looks OK.

It is sanded to 400 then EEE then finished with shellawax cream - first time for this, normally i use Glow and think it gives a better sheen for Blackwood - tomorrow i might put it back in the lathe and give it another go with EEE then Glow to see if i like it better.

Anyway my thoughts are either 2 or 3 lines/grooves to divided the rim up or maybe texturing (I think DJ has a tool) and hopefully would give it a go at Robbos.

So what do you think. Free for all on comments - i would have put it in the critique thread but it still has the chuck attached - for obvious reasons.

Cheers

TTIT
17th June 2009, 01:01 AM
IMHO the timber is noisy enough without any decoration. I spent quite a while just looking at the figure and features before I could concentrate on the rim at all - would leave it as is David :2tsup:

hughie
17th June 2009, 01:27 AM
I too spent some time looking the figure and features. IMHO seeing you have soft lines to edge and lip area any groove/s as decoration would not go with it too well.

Smaller radius on the edge as well less thickness along with perhaps a well defined line on the inner part of the lip would suit a decore groove or two.

Either way a very striking piece. :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th June 2009, 01:33 AM
Yep. I wouldn't complicate it by adding texture either...

...although I might think about ebonising the rim, so that it "frames" the lovely grain in the centre. It'd need a crisper edge on the inner rim then, though, maybe undercut slightly.

No... I think I'd leave it as it is.

Calm
17th June 2009, 01:43 AM
Thanks for your thoughts

Will leave it in the chuck and bring it on Saturday for a look see

Cheers

Ad de Crom
17th June 2009, 01:53 AM
David, this is a gorgeous platter, the wood is very beautiful.
Leave it as it is now. Different meanings what you eventually could do at the rim, but I love it the way like the pictures shows.
Great work !!
Ad :2tsup:

artme
17th June 2009, 08:42 AM
Supernice Platter mate!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup.

Wouldn't texture it but would consider Skew's suggestion of ebonising.Either way it will still be gorgeous.

jefferson
17th June 2009, 10:12 AM
Calm, it sure looks nice. :2tsup:

Jeff

tea lady
17th June 2009, 11:00 AM
I think I'd just define the corners and edges a bit more They are a bit "soft" IMHO, and you eye "falls off" the form. :shrug: Beautiful figure doesn't need more going on, just a little more definition. :cool:

DJ’s Timber
17th June 2009, 11:18 AM
I'd sharpen the edges, make the rim more of a raised and narrower bead which is ebonised

echnidna
17th June 2009, 11:26 AM
I'd run a light coloured veneer strip around the lip

Ed Reiss
17th June 2009, 11:38 AM
I tend to go along with the majority on this one...leave the rim undecorated. Finish it, part off from the chuck and leave it be....but, of course once it's off the chuck and you change your mind:doh::doh::doh::D

Gil Jones
17th June 2009, 12:22 PM
David,
Super platter form, excelent finish, and very nice wood/grain orintation.
Simple is elegant.
Well done!! :2tsup:

orraloon
17th June 2009, 03:49 PM
I am with the ''let the wood be the feature'' vote too. That is a nice platter as it is. On a plain wood then some decoration will liven things up. However there are differing tastes so go with what feels right to you.
Regards
John

Rattrap
17th June 2009, 04:30 PM
Yep i'll also go along with all thats been said. Beautiful piece of timber, no need for a textured edge but crisping up the edge would look good as would an ebonisied bead round the rim to frame the stunning grain.
Nice job any way u go Calm, well done mate!

Calm
17th June 2009, 05:57 PM
Sanded the top again this morning from 240 up to 1200 then EEE and Glow. Have left it on the chuck to bring to 's for thoughts when you see it. Then when i bring it home i will take it off and finish the bottom off. No regrets then.

Cheers

RETIRED
17th June 2009, 06:12 PM
I personally think that you should pierce the edges in about 3" towards the centre the put radial lines out and fill with Turquoise filler and white inlays on each alternate one.

In the centre a Celtic knot of contrasting colours would finish it off nicely. :whistling2::D

Calm
17th June 2009, 06:16 PM
I personally think that you should pierce the edges in about 3" towards the centre the put radial lines out and fill with Turquoise filler and white inlays on each alternate one.

In the centre a Celtic knot of contrasting colours would finish it off nicely. :whistling2::D

Are you smokin different bakky today Ian

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th June 2009, 07:32 PM
It's the green tea. :D

dai sensei
17th June 2009, 07:44 PM
I'd sharpen the edges, make the rim more of a raised and narrower bead which is ebonised

:iagree:

But to keep happy, mayber a ring of turquoise at the edge of the ebonised bead :U

powderpost
17th June 2009, 08:26 PM
Leave it alone, it's beautiful.
Jim

Harry72
17th June 2009, 08:39 PM
IMHO the timber is noisy enough without any decoration. I spent quite a while just looking at the figure and features before I could concentrate on the rim at all - would leave it as is David :2tsup:

:whs: