PDA

View Full Version : But the lathe only cost that much.

bellyup
17th June 2009, 01:42 AM
What do you reckon the ratio of "lathe to accessories $" would be?
I've been a fly fisherman for 20 + years and I thought that was an "accessory sport" till now!!!
My humble Delta 1400 lathe cost about $650.
The rest - well lets see!
First Chinese chisels - $140.
Nova copy chuck and acc. - $180
Decent faceplate - $50
Decent drives and stops - $100
sandpaper and rotary handle - $100
U-beaut polishes and stuff - $100
Hamlet 12mm bowl gouge - $110
P+N roughing gouge without handle - $120 ( but I do looooooove it!!)
Scheppach 15" bandsaw - $1300
Bandsaw blades x 2- $100
Misc chainsaws - $600
Sharpening jigs - $130
Dust extractor and acc. - $400
Protective clothing and acc.- $120
Cole jaws - $110
Bruce.

artme
17th June 2009, 08:46 AM
Bit of a trap is it not? My hardware for my stereo gear is nothing in relation to what I have spent on vinyl, discs and tapes over the years. And none of that wears oust like gouges, chisels, blades and so on.:C

aak
17th June 2009, 09:09 AM
I've been a fly fisherman for 20 + years and I thought that was an "accessory sport" till now!!!
Decent faceplate - $50
Bandsaw blades x 2- $100
Misc chainsaws - $600
Sharpening jigs - $130
Cole jaws - $110
Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

Chin up! All hobbies are like this, just the ratios are different. For most of my hobbies the ratios in fact are much worse! Such as life. If it is cheap enough to get started in a hobby, then it is easy to get hooked on it and start to spend more and more and more and more. The spending just never ends.

I have the view that as long as I enjoy it and there are no necessities I have to give up on, well it does not matter. So, ENJOY IT!:D

Dodgyboy
17th June 2009, 09:27 AM
I just bought a metal lathe and the ratio is going to be higher than that.

TTIT
17th June 2009, 09:37 AM
The trick is to buy a more expensive lathe - the ratio never looks as bad then :U:;

Tell her she's lucky you're not into motor-sports or sailing :o

Big Shed
17th June 2009, 09:59 AM
I just bought a metal lathe and the ratio is going to be higher than that.

Amen to that!:o

orraloon
17th June 2009, 04:23 PM
I am not game to tally it all up. Last order from the sandpaper man was over $100. If the finance minister were to become aware of the overall figure then a period of financial restraint may be imposed.

mickelmaster
17th June 2009, 04:53 PM
I dont think im going to have much more money later in life than I do now, I like cars, woodworking and metalworking :p

RETIRED
17th June 2009, 06:13 PM
I dont think im going to have much more money later in life than I do now, I like cars, woodworking and metalworking :pWhat about women?

wheelinround
17th June 2009, 06:19 PM
Woman on a weekly basis

New Hair Doo $150 starting price
Nails $40+
Gym
Coffee with the girls $15 daily
Lunch with the girls $50+

If they are into crafts

Buzzard
17th June 2009, 08:18 PM
A few years ago my wife bought me a 9" Ryobi bandsaw. :roll: It started a spending spree on machinery that defies all logic compared to what I actually produce! I could have bought a small country with what I've spent. Well, New Zealand anyway! :D:D:D

Buzz

jefferson
17th June 2009, 09:11 PM
Woman on a weekly basis

New Hair Doo $150 starting price
Nails $40+
Gym
Coffee with the girls $15 daily
Lunch with the girls $50+

If they are into crafts

Don't forget divorce settlement, alimony/ child support.....

Seriously, what price do you put on pleasure?

I've spent way, way too much on my turning stuff. A true tool sl#t, second to Ern at least. (All purchases were made in the hope of making me a better turner. What a fantasy.)

All I can say is that whatever you buy, try to buy less and not more. But more in quality.

Now as for the timber..... Add another 20%.

Jeff

Ozkaban
17th June 2009, 10:10 PM
I keep track of all my my expenses with financial software and told my wife that in the last year she spent about $900 on scrapbooking...

Then she asked about woodworking. Shade over $3,000:B. I don't even have a fancy lathe (only an second hand mc1100), or chisels - (2 P+N's + chinese ones)... dunno where it all went!

Cheers,
Dave

Farnk
17th June 2009, 10:36 PM
All these things are relative.
The SO reminds me on a regular basis that the common theme among all the hobbies and interests over the years has been their capacity to absorb financial resources.

That said, she has gone out and bought me tools at times for no reason altogether!

In the context of woodturning, I've been lucky in managing to get a lathe very cheaply (ebay is my friend) and a bandsaw gratis from a friend. The accessories have added up to a fair few bikkies.

I started with a chinese hss chisel set, and still use these regularly, although a few Hamlet and Sorby chisels have apopeared over the years. I do like the Sorby hollowing tool.

Timber is of course the real culprit, depending on what you get into turning, this can be a never-ending drain. Not a drama if you are turning commercially.
I don't sell my pieces, turning is stress relief and therapy for me. They mostly are given away. I mainly turn timber I find from arborists on the roadside. The bandsaw is invaluable in preparing my 'finds' for turning.

Sawdust Maker
17th June 2009, 11:25 PM
In the old days the saying was "if your records are worth more then the record player you need a new hi fi"
so if your chisels are worth more then the lathe you need a new lathe :2tsup:

tea lady
18th June 2009, 12:32 AM
Yeah! But what would a Psychologist cost?:D

mickelmaster
18th June 2009, 07:57 AM
Im gonna be in debt :( :p

Rommel
18th June 2009, 08:25 AM
I have been thinking of starting wood turning.

The good thing for me is that I am thinking.

Now you guys have given me so much thoughts.

Buzzard
18th June 2009, 04:20 PM
Twenty eight years ago I was a chain smoking alcoholic who demolished 75 cigarettes a day as well as a bottle of Jack a day. I didn't have any hobbies. Now I have a couple of relatively expensive hobbies but don't smoke, have one or two schooners of beer a week and the odd glass or red... but my doctor tells me I'm amazingly healthy for my age. I have outlived two wives who both died of cancer. You work it out!

Buzz

Sawdust Maker
18th June 2009, 10:48 PM
Yeah! But what would a Psychologist cost?:D

Heaps, because they would keep getting you back to work out why you were happy and well adjusted :D

I have been thinking of starting wood turning.

The good thing for me is that I am thinking.

Now you guys have given me so much thoughts.

You spend as much or as little as you want. Me I enjoy it and I enjoy using (reasonably) good tools. I think you can get out of it reasonably cheaply. You don't have to buy wood, a lot of mine is found on the side of the road. But I buy some as well because I'd like a bowl in x timber ...

Im gonna be in debt :( :p

Only buy what you need (or want) as you can afford it. it would be a pitb to buy up front on a loan and then decide you didn't like doing the turning - then you would be paying off something sitting in the shed not being used

Grumpy John
19th June 2009, 10:39 AM
Decent faceplate - $50
Bandsaw blades x 2- $100
Misc chainsaws - $600
Sharpening jigs - $130
Cole jaws - $110
Bruce.

Just think, if you had have bought a VL300 Long Bed at $6700 you'd only 50% into lathe value. That leaves you free to buy heaps more accessories to get to the 5.8:1 ratio. :rolleyes: :D:D:D

Pat
19th June 2009, 11:00 AM
In the old days the saying was "if your records are worth more then the record player you need a new hi fi"
so if your chisels are worth more then the lathe you need a new lathe :2tsup:

Well I'm in deep trouble then . . . I brought my lathe of a forum member for $500, but have at least quadrupled that amount with more chucks (Bonham Copy/G3/SN2) jaw sets (8 I think, not including the standard 50mm set), better chisels, different chisels (Hughies Oland's etc), then Sandpaper (Rolls/Sheets/Disks/pads), finish, DO and Ubeaut stuff + renovating my bench and drawer slides for the set of drawers . . . One day I'll do an audit on what I have . . .

Now I'm looking at a new shed and trying to work out if I can get an Nova DVR XP as well . . .