PDA

View Full Version : more ?

dzcook
3rd July 2004, 06:52 PM
first can anyone tell me the spacing that i would need for a ceiling 3 1/2 mt by 1mt for the bearers ( studs not sure what u call them ) to fix the ceiling to ( fibro ) 300 ,400 or what between ?

can anyone tell me what the difference is between normal paint and undercoat ? could i get away with using some old top coat that i dont want anymore (inside ) and use that as undercoat i know i will need more coats but as its just sitting there not being used thought i could get rid of it ?

at the moment have the reno blues just seem like i am not getting anywhere at all

anyway thks for any replys
david

ozwinner
3rd July 2004, 06:58 PM
first can anyone tell me the spacing that i would need for a ceiling 3 1/2 mt by 1mt for the bearers ( studs not sure what u call them ) to fix the ceiling to ( fibro ) 300 ,400 or what between ?

can anyone tell me what the difference is between normal paint and undercoat ? could i get away with using some old top coat that i dont want anymore (inside ) and use that as undercoat i know i will need more coats but as its just sitting there not being used thought i could get rid of it ?

at the moment have the reno blues just seem like i am not getting anywhere at all

anyway thks for any replys
david
Hi David
Most ceiling joist spaceings are 450mm.
As for the paint most old water based paint is ok for undercoat as long as it isnt gloss.
Most of the newer water based paint doent require undercoat these days anyway.

Al :)

Theva
3rd July 2004, 09:23 PM
David,

As per Ozwinner, normal centreline spacing of joists is 450mm. Joist size depends on span and ceiling type/weight.

Reno blues – I know the feeling. Taking a break ones in a while helps; so is making a list of things to do and keep on ticking them off.

Why fibro ceiling inside?

Regards,

Theva

dzcook
3rd July 2004, 11:44 PM
ok just my luck, is gloss that i wanted to use so whats the reason that it cant be used as undercoat ?

fibro is used as ceiling walls etc a lot up here for inside especally in the older houses think its partly that pple have used it a lot in the past ie the hse i am doing up is all fibro walls inside so that has continued on is very rare for pple to use plasterboard perhaps someone else might be able to give a better reason lol or the real one
thks for the help
david