PDA

View Full Version : LOCATION QUIZ for 3 July 04

Ralph Jones
3rd July 2004, 10:04 PM
Good Evening Friends,
If you are provided with a map of an area and a compass for finding direction.

How would you go about locating yourself on that map?

Respectfully, :)

journeyman Mick
3rd July 2004, 11:43 PM
Look for the arrow and sign on the map saying "You Are Here" :D :D :D

PaulS
3rd July 2004, 11:50 PM
Ralph
that would be by triangulation.
Sight two landmarks and their bearing, find the landmarks on the map, and where the lines intersect is where you are.
:)

DavidG
3rd July 2004, 11:52 PM
Assuming the map is actually of the area that I am located.
Assuming we are not in one of the large feature less areas of Australia, so flat you can see the curvature of the earth.

Then find a high point and triangulate off three prominent features.

Otherwise pull out the GPS and switch it on.

bitingmidge
4th July 2004, 08:30 AM
With my luck it'd be a map of an area on the other side of the world, and I'd be stuck looking at moss, the sun and the hole in the sky where the north is on the cowboy movies! :D

Or I could see if there were any landmarks or similarities in topography and apply triangulation techniques as stated above.

Before I did that I'd try to fix my GPS though!

P

zymurgy
4th July 2004, 10:40 AM
Put map on ground, stand on it.

AlexS
4th July 2004, 03:19 PM
Find a local & offer him the compass if he'll tell you where you are. (As a bonus, he might also tell you where to go!)

Ralph Jones
4th July 2004, 09:55 PM
Good Evening Friends,
Those of you who chose the triangulation method are correct.
There were those of you who had some great ideas but, they didn't pin point exactually where your were.

Thanks for your support.

Respectfully, :)

journeyman Mick
4th July 2004, 10:34 PM
I'm being pedantic here....
Ralph, you asked "How would you go about locating yourself on that map?" and strictly speaking Gordon's answer is absolutely correct, if you put the map down and stand on it you have located yourself on the map. If however you want to locate exactly where you are using the map as reference then triangulation would be the way to go. Semantics.... :D

Mick