PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 4 July 04

Ralph Jones
4th July 2004, 09:58 PM
Good Evening Friends,
What is the best joint to use when joining a board to make it longer?

I have seen some trim and other pieces of wood that used this method and it seemed to be a good solid joint.

Respectfully, :)

journeyman Mick
4th July 2004, 10:27 PM
Ralph,
well now, that all depends on the situation. Is it exposed non structural, exposed structural or non exposed structural? On a boat or in a building? Low or high budget? Paint or clear finish? You could use steel splicing plates, bolts, screws, glue, nails, gang nail plates, finger joints, splines, scarf joints, cogged joints, butt joints, half laps, biscuits, dowels, trenails etc etc etc. :confused:

Mick

Bob Willson
5th July 2004, 05:50 AM
I always use the joint up the road. It is clean and the broads are just the right length and they are also nice and cheap.

bitingmidge
5th July 2004, 08:17 AM
Mick,

Your usual comprehensively correct response, however I do believe you've left out the non-square-butted-on-one-side-bogged-with NoGaps-and-more-twists-in-it-than-my-old-fella joint favoured by most commercial fix-out chippies.

:D :D :D

P

journeyman Mick
5th July 2004, 10:24 AM
Midge,
I covered that in "etc etc etc" :p

Mick

silentC
5th July 2004, 12:13 PM
A friend of the family who owned a joinery and should have known better did all of their skirting and architrave with 'lockwood' back in the 80's. They finished it with clear poly and it looked terrible because you could see all of the finger joins and different timber colours. It looked like it had been made from scrap wood, which is not surpising given that's exactly what it is.

They use the same finger join on fascia but at least it's painted. I couldn't say whether or not it is the best but it is probably the cheapest and easiest for mass-production. At least it makes use of all the short bits.

Maybe I should get one of the router bits that does it, then I could cobble together some decent boards from all the offcuts I've got in the shed.

Ralph Jones
5th July 2004, 09:43 PM
Good Evening Friends,
those of you who chose the finger joint are correct, also the finger joint I was referring to was the one where they come to a point and interlock the joint.

There was a company who's name I can't remember, hold the record in the record book for the longest 2 x 4 with a length of 165'.

Can't you figure the truck it would take to haul that thing?

Thank you for your support.

Respectfully, :)