PDA

View Full Version : Timber Identification & Technique

Shines
17th June 2009, 09:12 PM
Hello all,

Being this is my first post here, I thought I might make it a little challenge for those timber species experts in the forum.

I have a timber cutting board that cost me a pretty penny a few years ago. This cutting board has unfortunately split right in the middle due to a differential of moisture content on either side causing it to shrink & expand unevenly. Unfortunately the board is only about 25 mm thick.

My first question to start out is, what species is this? Note: this has been wet down to show the proper colour of the grain. You can actually see where the split is in the middle because the water is seeping from the split in the photo...

http://shines.smugmug.com/photos/566320708_rikNv-M.jpg

Next question, is what would be the best technique for "breaking" the board along the existing split and rejoining the board?

I was thinking about just re-laminating it with a strong wood glue, but not sure which glue would be suitable for a food handling product? Alternatively dowlling or biscuit joining? I dont have either of them but I can come up with something...

Looking forward to hearing some ideas.

Cheers,

-Scott

dwood22
18th June 2009, 09:57 PM
Looks to me like end grain Blackwood