PDA

View Full Version : Packaging models for a house move

petersemple
18th June 2009, 03:05 PM
Does anyone have good info on how to package up plastic models for a move? I have looked on the net and not found anything, but I am sure there must be something out there. I am particularly worried about small bits that stick out, like plane undercarriage, and ship aerials and masts etc. Can anyone help?

Peter

radish
18th June 2009, 05:17 PM
About the best way to transport any plastic models, is in one the square styrene boxes that broccoli are packaged in. These boxes are very rigid and you can partition them with bits that have been cut from other boxes, just use "Hard as Nails" to glue the bits together. You can now stack these boxes as well, even load stuff on top of them without them collapsing. Go get hold of one of these boxes and you will soon see how good they for this job.

regards radish :D

Ps:- use these boxes for transporting my stuff from Brisbane to Victoria, many times, with NO BREAKAGES AT ALL. Other fellas use them as well and put those tiny beads from a bean bag in amongst the models, makes a bit of a mess when you start to remove the models.

Waldo
18th June 2009, 05:56 PM
Similar to Radish, I drove my childhood models, a Spitfire and a Stuka JU-87G in a small box surrounded by shredded paper from Brisbane to Melbourne without a ding to them. (well, except a prop that broke of the spitfire - have to glue it back sometime)

One day I'll hang them from the ceiling like they used to be back in my bedroom. They used to have dog fights when the wind blew, them and the US Seaking helicopter and a Sopwith camel. They never came to blows in all the years.

Just thought I'd post this link to the Stuka YouTube - German plane, JU-87G Variant Stuka -TANK BUSTER!

AUSSIE
18th June 2009, 06:09 PM
Have you seen the scale forum poll?
Vote No if you want a seperate forum or yes if you want it as it is now,just a sub forum off Toys.We are trying to get a full forum for scale:2tsup:
Why sub forum (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=98049)

kiwioutdoors
25th June 2009, 10:31 AM
I have found solid boxes with bubble wrap around then packed in larger boxes effective. over 3 shifts.

Andrew