PDA

View Full Version : Japanese saw blade

DIY DAN
18th June 2009, 11:40 PM
Can anyone tell me how to change a blade on a japanese saw. There is what looks like a rivet on the blade support, but it has a direction arrow above it so it must turn somehow, but how. There is no slot for a driver.
Help appreciated.

DIY DAN

Sheets
19th June 2009, 01:39 AM
Hi Dan,

It would be helpful if you can tell us the brand and type of saw (picture would be nice too), since there is not a common method amongst the various makers .

From what you are describing however, it sounds like it may be a "Z" saw. The blades have a hook on the tang end which fits around the rivet in the the metal support and the support pinches the back edge of the blade when its correctly inserted. To remove this type of blade, you strike the back edge of the blade on a flat piece of wood (cutting edge up aiming to make contact with the last third or so of blade for most leverage). Strike so the blade hits flat along the back and not just at the very end or one point along its length, if you follow what I mean.
The force you are applying will move the blade in the direction of the arrow (which shows a rotation toward the cutting edge around the rivet) which will unseat it from the pinch of the metal support. Once free, it will rotate until the hook is free of the rivet and it will detach.
To install a new blade, you pretty well reverse the operation except strike the back of the metal support on a piece of wood so the force drives the blade into the pinch of the support.
Anyway, try that if applicable. Otherwise, more info or pics may be needed.

Steve

Claw Hama
19th June 2009, 06:51 AM
I normaly just give the end away from the rivet a yank and out she comes, you could put it in a vice and just pivot the handle too, might work.